Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon Drive Unlimited Storage 40$ till March 31 - so do we needs google apps...??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Amazon Drive Unlimited Storage 40$ till March 31 - so do we needs google apps...??

PinkertonPinkerton Member
edited February 2017 in General

Been buying google apps for some of the smaller mom and pop stores etc. who need email etc.

But now, with Amazon Unlimited Storage, who needs Google Apps - rather do we still need google apps for storage?

Is the unlimited better than the google fixed size? Reddit discussion link :)

Would love to hear opinions out there, I hear you want to encrypt the contents, besides that it should be good

Poll not found

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
      edited February 2017

It really depends on your needs. For example, how important is a solid, fast, dependable desktop sync client? That alone limits your choices significantly. Amazon doesn't make one. Google and Dropbox make nice ones. Never used onedrive.

Thanked by 1Pinkerton
    • I detest Bezos more than Google, so..

• @WSS said:
      I detest Bezos more than Google, so..

I have to agree hahahah clap clap, I also hear they treat their employees like crap

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Be careful with Amazon Cloud Drive. They scan the files to find ISOs and if you try and pull down a large amount of content at the same time (multi TB) they will suspend your account for suspicious activity.

• @trewq said:
      Be careful with Amazon Cloud Drive. They scan the files to find ISOs and if you try and pull down a large amount of content at the same time (multi TB) they will suspend your account for suspicious activity.

Just encrypt your files before uploading and you will be safe. I hear someone upload 72TB without problem.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@sonic said:

@trewq said:

Just encrypt your files before uploading and you will be safe. I hear someone upload 72TB without problem.

Yeah, upload doesn't seem to be an issue. They get you when you try and pull it all down.

Thanked by 1sonic
    • I guess it's time for us to pay Gsuite Business. Buy 10 yrs crap domain then pay monthly. Pretty cheap for me, plus have admin acess.

• zoho is also cheap and very very reliable. https://www.zoho.com/workplace/pricing.html?src=zmail

• Where is the $40 order link?

Thanked by 2Falzo Lunar
    • @saf31 said:
      zoho is also cheap and very very reliable. https://www.zoho.com/workplace/pricing.html?src=zmail

I guess the discussion here is about Cloud Storage... not Email Hosting

• Only thing - which download and upload speed? They may takes money then place to slowdown

• Google...

I've tried Amazon Cloud Drive for a year on my Plex server with acd_cli, without encryption. I had around 5-6 TB movie files, plainly stored with only 1 server accessing them. I believe I still have all those ij my account even though I let it expire.

The speeds were terrible. Download and upload sucked most of the times. Every now and then I had to force dismount the acd_cli mount folder, re-mount and sync it because for some reason the mount went dead on me.

You had no desktop client, well nothing useful at least. To me, extending it another year seemed stupid on multiple fronts.

• @jarland said:
      It really depends on your needs. For example, how important is a solid, fast, dependable desktop sync client? That alone limits your choices significantly. Amazon doesn't make one. Google and Dropbox make nice ones. Never used onedrive.

Agreed on the dropbox client quality, However, on my first day of using google drive desktop app the client made "conflicted copies" (or whatever googles term for it is) of over 2k files I uploaded to it for no apparent reason. Never used it since.

• BarisBaris Member
      edited February 2017

@Nomad said:
      Google...

I've tried Amazon Cloud Drive for a year on my Plex server with acd_cli, without encryption. I had around 5-6 TB movie files, plainly stored with only 1 server accessing them. I believe I still have all those ij my account even though I let it expire.

The speeds were terrible. Download and upload sucked most of the times. Every now and then I had to force dismount the acd_cli mount folder, re-mount and sync it because for some reason the mount went dead on me.

You had no desktop client, well nothing useful at least. To me, extending it another year seemed stupid on multiple fronts.

I am testing Plex over GDrive at the moment. Speeds are good. I have seen 600mbits both ways. Mounts are stable. Everything is encrypted.

The only question is when they start to block my account for API overusage. I am looking for German test users at the moment since I couldn't hit the limits as single Plex user.

Thanked by 1muratai
    • Unlimited storage = slow download and upload speeds. They don't want get a tons of files very quick. That only marketing tricks to attract more buyers, because everyone wants everything unlimited.

• @jenkki said:
      Unlimited storage = slow download and upload speeds. They don't want get a tons of files very quick. That only marketing tricks to attract more buyers, because everyone wants everything unlimited.

I have it connected to my server with Nextcloud and use the disk of the server as a cache. So i can still have a great upload speed.

Thanked by 1muratai
    • @Baris said:

@Nomad said:
      Google...

I am testing Plex over GDrive at the moment. Speeds are good. I have seen 600mbits both ways. Mounts are stable. Everything is encrypted.

The only question is when they start to block my account for API overusage. I am looking for German test users at the moment since I couldn't hit the limits as single Plex user.

Sure, Google Drive always had good speeds for me, on any platform I used.
      But API overusage? How come you beat those limits with only a single user plex setup?

• jenkkijenkki Member
      edited February 2017

Why not just buy external HDD and attach to own PC? Superspeed guaranteed :)

Thanked by 1muratai
    • Host4GoHost4Go Member
      edited February 2017

OneDrive Pro all the way.
      For 69$ year. Anyone can get 1TB and the full Microsoft Office suite which is already worth the $$$.

Ohh.. And 60m worth of calls to mobile and landlines around the world (via skype).

Btw, the onedrive version you added to the poll is the free version. Which can actually go above 15GB. You should not be comparing free products with paid products.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Nomad said:

@Baris said:

@Nomad said:
      Google...

Sure, Google Drive always had good speeds for me, on any platform I used.
      But API overusage? How come you beat those limits with only a single user plex setup?

It typically results from Plex scanning your media and in doing so makes an API call for every single file in your Drive any time there is a change in your library. The problem becomes apparent as the size of your library grows (a couple TB of movies and shows will probably be alright, but going bigger might be risky). Plus there's other ways to counteract by turning off automatic scans and only using periodic scans instead.

• I have 180TB on ACD, doing uploading 24/7, no problem at all, just dont DO MUCH downloading ;)

• xrz said: I have 180TB on ACD, doing uploading 24/7, no problem at all, just dont DO MUCH downloading ;)

how is the handling of large files? lets say 20GB? have you done that and if so did it work without problems, would you try to recover one to see if it works too?

• Hello,

Sorry, where Amazon Cloud Drive unlimited is avaliable for $40?

Thanked by 1Dormeo
    • probably nowhere, actually there is some kind of promo/discount for US customers which lowers the price from $59,99 to $47,99 or something like that. try coupon code WINTERPRINTS at checkout... can't tell if this is recurring or not.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@paulof said:
      OneDrive Pro all the way

Except the desktop sync is still buggy (I mean c'mon they own the OS!). That's my experience as a longtime, heavy, daily OD user. It's just not as bulletproof as DB.

Also, Windows/Mac only.

Otherwise, yes, very good value. The Office integration / webapps are very nice.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
    • @mov3 said:
      Where is the $40 order link?

Somebody?

Thanked by 1Dormeo
    • FalzoFalzo Member
      edited February 2017

@Sven said:

@mov3 said:
      Where is the $40 order link?

Somebody?

I'd say click-bait. more likely $47,99 for US customers only... see above.

• johnnymattjohnnymatt Member
      edited February 2017

@WSS said:
      I detest Bezos more than Google, so..

Sure ? Please, confess. How many times have you waited, with trepidation, the delivery boy with the Amazon pack ? ;)

• Damnnn. Some guy from reddit @ 230 TB .. https://imgur.com/a/COlFL

• @Nomad
      I didn't hit any API limits yet. For one user everything is sufficient right now that's why I am looking for other test users to check out how far I can push this with simultanous streams and bigger library.

@MasonR
      Pretty much my setup. No auto scanning, no thumbnails etc. Every scan is triggered manually.