Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LXC providers, do you enable nesting? care to share your experiences?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LXC providers, do you enable nesting? care to share your experiences?

Note: You can skip to end for questions only ;)

It's a quite interesting time right now, with LXC starting to replace the old OVZ virtualization. With KVM already having beat XEN, we are approaching a future of LXC/KVM offers it looks like.

The way i have operated with my servers is, i bought a few random VPS's that seemed good, tried them out, did some testing, brougt up websites. And soon realized that OVZ was far too limited and annoying for my uses. (tun/tap, fuse, outdated kernel).

Quickly i started replacing all my OVZ servers with KVM, or even better dedicated. And the first thing i would do on any new server is install LXC and libvirt, and run virtual-manager on my home PC.

I feel this gives me a very very good solid interface and nice isolation to all my machines. And one ipv6 address to each client, yum yum.

So, with all these new LXC offers out there, i've been pondering trying some of them out.
While i do prefer KVM/dedicated over LXC, the main reason against LXC, would be the lack of LXC nesting (so i can run LXC myself).

I'm wondering, what are you providers experiences with LXC compared to OVZ(or KVM/vmware for that matter)?

Is stuff like tun/tap, nested lxc, going to be enabled by default by you(is it default in kernel's/distro's you use for hosting?)

Are the systems currently(or near future) going to be hooked up with easy control panel options to enable tun/tap, nesting?

How (if at all) do you handle programs like "top" giving host data(ie, total host memory and cpu), isn't this confusing your customers?

Or anything else you would like to add about your LXC experiences. What do you think the future looks like?

Thank you.

Poll not found