Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestion for dedicated server hosting over 150 sites
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggestion for dedicated server hosting over 150 sites

WoopWoop Member

Hey guys,

Just picked a client today who has something like 6 cpanel VPS's at HostGator. Each of them has cPanel and 768mb of ram.

He's paying a insane amount of money considering what he is getting.

So I'm thinking rather than moving them over to a few VPS's he would be better off with 1 grunty dedicated. His budget is around $150 a month.

I was looking at WholeSale Internet, and I could get one of the L5520 Servers for $59 + cPanel license and maybe a SSD and 1gbit port if it's needed. (I could probably get away with memcache with a big ram allocation for speeding up MySQL)

This guy is expecting 1million visitors to his sites next month (most of the content is static) and I also want to setup a CDN to host all the images/css etc.

Also he has a rather big phpbb forum, is it worth getting a separate server to host that or should they all fit on the one box?

I don't even know the exact stats myself, but hopefully if I can get a idea of what I need that would be much appreciated!

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Well, you could just get one big VPS, rather than all those small ones. A quality VPS will perform faster than a dedicated server and may end up being more reliable. Also, it's easier to back up.

• aglodekaglodek Member

Like @shovenose said, one big VPS will be much better than a dedi.
    All he said plus: cost effective, easy to upgrade/migrate if need be to meet growing needs.

• WoopWoop Member

@andrzej True I get that, but I'm not seeing many VPS's with over 2gb of ram. Ramnode have 4gb for $96 a month, but I can get a full dedi with 6x more ram for $30 less.

• Get two servers if you can, that way the phpBB board and the main site both have breathing space.

Reach out to WSI and DataShack -- they'll probably be your cheapest options -- and see if they can work out something that fits in your price range.

• how about bought two L5520 Servers, 1 for cPanel and another one for database? still under budget.

• @kacikuang said:
    how about bought two L5520 Servers, 1 for cPanel and another one for database? still under budget.

Do you need cPanel? You could probably get more mileage out of your server(s) and lower your budget by doing Apache/nginx/whatever by hand.

• @ihatetonyy said:

you beat me with 2 server option, blame LET overcapacity page. :)
    agree with you faster not using cPanel, but for end user? if the owner has someone to do managed part so that not a problem.

• aglodekaglodek Member

@Woop: try WAVERIDE (subsidiary of EDIS - Vienna OpenVZs up to 8GB RAM) or CONTABO (Munich KVMs up to 16GB), both at very competitive prices. With so many websites and traffic, I would go for KVM.

@Zen: very true. Then again, he has no redundancy on the many small VMs either. If there are no SEO issues (crosslinking etc.), what I would do is sacrifice separation for redundancy and pile up everything on one VM and set up second one for redundancy.

• JacobJacob Member

If you're looking for some node server, we have the Dell C6100s 4 Nodes and you could have the top 2 nodes.

We also have SSDs aswell.

Msg me for more info

• WoopWoop Member

@ihatetonyy I would go with no control panel, but managing 150 sites via the command line plus migrating them over would take days, if not weeks. Will probably go with WI or Datashack anyway.

@andrzej yea that would be alright but I imagine it would be less reliable than a dedi considering your going to be on a server with a zillion other people. I guess they have rules saying you'll get kicked if use too much CPU for x amount of time which is why the guy is getting kicked from Hostgator.

@Jacob I'll send you a PM

• aglodekaglodek Member

@Woop: true, fair enough. In that case, most cost effective dedi would be OVH (4/8/16GB Kimsufi?) or Online.net (but only in France).

• wilbowilbo Member

Get a dedicated server and make it into whatever and however many VPS's you want.

• @Woop If your client was willing to try DirectAdmin, it is fully capable of what the needs are it sounds like. I mention this because it is free at DS and WII. If you install it yourself you do not even have to pay the 5.00 setup fee for it.