Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS6.net?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS6.net?

NarutoNaruto Member
edited January 2012 in Providers

Hi. New here. First post. VPS6.net has only been up for a short while. Are they good?

I'm worried because I saw this stuff:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/8711#Comment_8711

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1112954

The owner never replied back to that thread, and he's been active very recently... so he chose not to?

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1090816&highlight=vps6.net&page=3 shows slight mention of it.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1113211&highlight=vps6.net (owner never replied to this one either)

I was offered a real good deal by them. I'm not looking for anyone to scream scam or anything, but the evidence I've found gives me doubts. The owner's WHT join date and post count are new/low. I guess everyone starts off that way, though. If anyone else has any reviews (difficult to find since they are new) or opinions on if this thing is really owned by that Dann Fry guy please let me know.

Comments

• vps6netvps6net Member
    edited January 2012

As I mentioned on WHT, we're a publicly registered company whose ownership details are available for anyone to check and verify. VPS6.NET, LP is owned jointly by myself and Lee Clements of ServerGurus LLC; it was registered on Nov. 28, 2011, ID# L220436. I would not believe anything else you read as to our ownership, especially from users who have never been our clients. You can also rest assured that we have absolutely no intent to 'scam' you or anyone else, VPS6.NET will be around for years to come!

• NarutoNaruto Member
    edited January 2012

Here is evidence of good things I saw:

I did notice the ones saying those things in those threads are the same guys.

The site surely doesn't look quickly thrown together either. No idea what a Dann Fry site is supposed to look like but people said something about tacky looking images or whatever.

That Chris Parr guy is active in the Live Chat and answers a lot of questions in proper English and all that.

Furthermore, http://whois.domaintools.com/vps6.net shows the creation date of this year. If it was owned by Dann Fry it would have been created before then probably.

http://whois.domaintools.com/64.250.113.77 the IP shows ServerGurus as Jeremy just said. Looks good enough for me. :)

• @vps6net said: As I mentioned on WHT, we're a publicly registered company whose ownership details are available for anyone to check and verify. VPS6.NET, LP is owned jointly by myself and Lee Clements of ServerGurus LLC; it was registered on Nov. 28, 2011, ID# L220436. I would not believe anything else you read as to our ownership, especially from users who have never been our clients. You can also rest assured that we have absolutely no intent to 'scam' you or anyone else, VPS6.NET will be around for years to come!

This might be a somewhat strange question but do you have any form of relationship with ionvm/someone with the lastname of fry/some other stuff?

• He keep ignoring this question.

Thanked by 1drmike
  • japonjapon Member
    edited January 2012

Remember: "we will be around for years to come" means in LEB-speech: "we have funds for a few months.". At least according to the LEB-offers/deadpool ratio.

Thanked by 1drmike
  • @Naruto said: The site surely doesn't look quickly thrown together either. No idea what a Dann Fry site is supposed to look like but people said something about tacky looking images or whatever.

It looks EXACTLY like a dann/donn fry site, down to the server locations (servercentral is very rare for "vps in chicago" -- i've seen it maybe once outside of fry sites), the 24 hour trial, the "images on top of images" positioned with CSS instead of using elements like they're supposed to be

• I have one of their Istanbul vps's. Interactive response time is SLOW, but I'm not sure if it's the routing. It's okay otherwise; we use it for DNS without much issue.

• vps6netvps6net Member
    edited January 2012

@justinb, ServerCentral is at DuPont Fabros, we are at 350 E. Cermak. Both great DCs, but I'm not sure where the confusion stems from, Cermak is listed right on our USA Network page: https://vps6.net/network-usa.php

I don't see any "images on top of images" in the layout? What does that mean?

@Damian4IPXcore That's Istanbul for you, the network isn't the best. Glad you're pleased with the VPS, though -- we can move you to Germany if you're looking for something FAST!

• cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 44
    model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz
    stepping : 2
    cpu MHz : 2660.131
    cache size : 12288 KB
    physical id : 1
    siblings : 12
    core id : 0
    cpu cores : 6
    apicid : 32
    initial apicid : 32
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 11
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt aes lahf_lm ida arat tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
    bogomips : 5320.26
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management:

Traceroute to Phoenix, AZ:

traceroute -q 1 onyx.ipxcore.com
    traceroute to onyx.ipxcore.com (216.224.230.133), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
    1 46-45-178-194.turkrdns.com (46.45.178.194) 0.048 ms
    2 10.10.100.1 (10.10.100.1) 10.963 ms
    3 241.146.156.212.static.turktelekom.com.tr (212.156.146.241) 0.786 ms
    4 itu-t3-1-levent-t3-1.turktelekom.com.tr (212.156.118.166) 0.987 ms
    5 gayrettepe-t2-1-x.tu-t3-1.turktelekom.com.tr (212.156.118.161) 1.416 ms
    6 static.turktelekom.com.tr (212.156.101.25) 51.491 ms
    7 xe-4-0-1.edge4.Frankfurt1.Level3.net (212.162.4.161) 44.047 ms
    8 vlan60.csw1.Frankfurt1.Level3.net (4.69.154.62) 51.235 ms
    9 ae-72-72.ebr2.Frankfurt1.Level3.net (4.69.140.21) 44.096 ms
    10 ae-22-22.ebr2.London1.Level3.net (4.69.148.189) 60.723 ms
    11 ae-43-43.ebr1.NewYork1.Level3.net (4.69.137.74) 129.383 ms
    12 ae-61-61.csw1.NewYork1.Level3.net (4.69.134.66) 122.374 ms
    13 ae-92-92.ebr2.NewYork1.Level3.net (4.69.148.45) 122.436 ms
    14 ae-2-2.ebr4.SanJose1.Level3.net (4.69.135.185) 190.707 ms
    15 ae-81-81.csw3.SanJose1.Level3.net (4.69.153.10) 198.736 ms
    16 ae-21-60.car1.SanJose2.Level3.net (4.69.152.11) 190.998 ms
    17 TIME-WARNER.car1.SanJose2.Level3.net (4.59.0.230) 191.606 ms
    18 phx1-ar3-xe-0-1-0-0.us.twtelecom.net (66.192.243.154) 210.828 ms
    19 core-65-1.arizona.phxinternet.net (216.224.225.138) 211.189 ms
    20 core-35-1.arizona.phxinternet.net (216.224.225.142) 211.876 ms
    21 colo-35-1.arizona.phxinternet.net (216.224.225.146) 211.615 ms
    22 216.224.231.150 (216.224.231.150) 220.842 ms
    23 216.224.230.133 (216.224.230.133) 220.350 ms

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 13.7649 seconds, 78.0 MB/s

• @Naruto said: http://whois.domaintools.com/64.250.113.77 the IP shows ServerGurus as Jeremy just said. Looks good enough for me. :)

Did you try to contact Lee (his email shows in the link you provided) to confirm the story? :P

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@justinb said:It looks EXACTLY like a dann/donn fry site, down to the server locations (servercentral is very rare for "vps in chicago" -- i've seen it maybe once outside of fry sites), the 24 hour trial, the "images on top of images" positioned with CSS instead of using elements like they're supposed to be

Yup, you can tell by the design style too. It's kinda obvious.

[OFFTOPIC] I had a box at VPS.GEN.TR, not a low-end but I'm sure if you contact 'em you can make a deal. Really good box.

• @Infinity,

vps.gen.tr is based in the same DC as us in Turkey (Radore). By the looks of things, we've got the edge on hardware, though I couldn't say without seeing a benchmark -- plus, their 512mb VPS is 3x more expensive than ours, $30+ up from $9.95 (granted, theirs is Xen).

@vps6net said: By the looks of things, we've got the edge on hardware, though I couldn't say without seeing a benchmark

What a stupid statement, if you don't know what hardware they use how can you know. As I said also, if you contact them they will get you a deal.

VPS6.NET has all the characteristics of a Dann Fry site, Look at the kind of graphics and style of design on IonVM and back, it's really obvious. Same OS templates too, the resellers, the trials. I would never trust your site.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

vps6.net was listed at boyah.net/forums/index.php?topic=54790.0 (forum managed by Dann Fry) as Dan's domain but later he removed public access to this page.

And vps6net guy still ignore our question!
    vps6net how you're related to Dann Fry?

• @vps6net said: @justinb, ServerCentral is at DuPont Fabros, we are at 350 E. Cermak. Both great DCs, but I'm not sure where the confusion stems from, Cermak is listed right on our USA Network page: https://vps6.net/network-usa.php

What? Last I checked my box at scnet is at 350 e

and "
    ServerGurus is a provider of High Bandwidth Dedicated and Virtual Private Servers. Our network presence at our Chicago POP is provided by ServerCentral"?

• For sicking the scam dogs on Jeremy by making this discussion, I feel it's only right I post back in their defense:

If you compare VPS providers they usually all have similar deals and statements. I ordered 4 VPSes from VPS6 already. So far I've been with them less than 24 hours and they have tasted 1/3rd of my traffic. After tonight I'll know how things run for sure, but right now everything is running very smoothly. It's fast so far. I still have to see how things go though.

Did Dann Fry bother keeping up with a Twitter? VPS6 does. Did he bother setting up a small network of useful sites like http://vps-extra.com/ ?

Infinity, if he included "though I couldn't say without seeing a benchmark" how does that make it a stupid statement?

If these people were this Dann Fry guy they'd be greedy. Chris Parr, one of their sales/support guys or whatever that sits on the Live Chat volunteered the knowledge of a 15% off coupon code. I didn't ask him about it.

As far as support goes, Chris Parr is doing a great job with them so far. He set me up and replies sufficiently quick and got my problems solved without ever having to go to a ticket. Usually guys on those live chats will type poorly and refer you to someone else or not know what you're talking about.

I don't understand how to quote people on this thing yet but giang said "Did you try to contact Lee (his email shows in the link you provided) to confirm the story? :P" and the answer to that is no I have not. You can if you want.

Rest assured though, if you guys turned out to be right and this turns into a horror story I'll join your quest in hunting down this Dann Fry guy and challenge every new VPS provider I see to ensure he gets as little monies as possible.

I just ran "wget -O /dev/null http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test" on 3 separate nodes of theirs.

On a Xen:
    3.8s at (26.6 MB/s)

On another Xen:
    3.0s at (32.8 MB/s)

On an OVZ:
    1.7s at (59.9 MB/s)

I've seen far worse. Here are some random comparisons I can make.

Here is an OVZ with no traffic from PhotonVPS:
    9.4s at (10.7 MB/s)

Here is an OVZ with no traffic from AlienVPS:
    1.2s at (80.5 MB/s)

• If you would just know how many naive "Narutos" like you we saw over last few years here :)

@Spirit said: And vps6net guy still ignore our question!

vps6net how you're related to Dann Fry?

edited January 2012

@Naruto said: Did Dann Fry bother keeping up with a Twitter? VPS6 does. Did he bother setting up a small network of useful sites like http://vps-extra.com/ ?

How do you know he hasn't changed for the sake of not being identified. The majority of evidence points to it being a Dann Fry website. Your logic makes no sence.

@Naruto said: If these people were this Dann Fry guy they'd be greedy. Chris Parr, one of their sales/support guys or whatever that sits on the Live Chat volunteered the knowledge of a 15% off coupon code. I didn't ask him about it.

I got a free server from IonVM a long time ago..

@Naruto said: I just ran "wget -O /dev/null http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test" on 3 separate nodes of theirs.

I wonder how you have access to 3 seperate nodes.. cough employed by Dann Fry cough

Thanked by 1Steve81
  • Just figured out this quote thing.

@Spirit said: If you would just know how many naive "Narutos" like you we saw over last few years here :)

Naruto is a cool show. I'd rather fantasize about being a ninja with special powers surrounded by cool attractive people than watch something like Jersey Shore.

@Infinity said: How do you know he hasn't changed for the sake of not being identified. The majority of evidence points to it being a Dann Fry website. Your logic makes no sence.

Majority of evidence? Only evidence I saw were the claims the same few people made on here and WHT. My logic shows effort.

@Infinity said: I got a free server from IonVM a long time ago..

I saw on WHT that the owner of IonVM isn't the former owner but a new one, someone related to JaguarPC or something. I think they kept the former owner on staff though. I don't feel like finding the link but I'm sure you guys have seen it.

@Infinity said: I wonder how you have access to 3 seperate nodes.. cough employed by Dann Fry cough

Well that would prove my logic didn't make sense if I bothered to make this discussion. But no, I requested separate nodes. Now that you imply ME, a customer as part of the Dann Fry situation I'm pretty much convinced you're talking out your posterior. I bet you think 9/11 was an inside job.

@Naruto said: Majority of evidence? Only evidence I saw were the claims the same few people made on here and WHT. My logic shows effort.

Just read around, I really cant be asked to say anything else, it's so clear.

@Naruto said: I saw on WHT that the owner of IonVM isn't the former owner but a new one, someone related to JaguarPC or something. I think they kept the former owner on staff though. I don't feel like finding the link but I'm sure you guys have seen it.

I got that before the takeover, way before, when it was a Dann Fry website.

@Naruto said: if I bothered to make this discussion

I appreciate that, yup me being the idiot that I am didn't notice that you were the OP. Appologies for that. lol

@Naruto said: I bet you think 9/11 was an inside job.

You've just lost your money mate. :P

• @Naruto said: Did Dann Fry bother keeping up with a Twitter? VPS6 does. Did he bother setting up a small network of useful sites like http://vps-extra.com/ ?

> an industry-leading provider

> brand new company

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

@Naruto said: I saw on WHT that the owner of IonVM isn't the former owner but a new one, someone related to JaguarPC or something. I think they kept the former owner on staff though. I don't feel like finding the link but I'm sure you guys have seen it.

Right opposite - he discourage us to try vps6.net and he also recognize it as "knockoff site or perhaps made by the same person that owned ionvm before" :)

His words:

I dont know what vps6 is , looks like a knockoff site or perhaps made by the same person that owned ionvm before me. I'd avoid it.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7887349&postcount=39

@Naruto there is so many, really so many links which connect vps6 with Dann Fry and yet they ignore every question regarding this. Just think about...

• NarutoNaruto Member
    edited January 2012

My money is spent, it's good so far, and I'll let you guys know if it ends badly.

I'm going to stay out of this discussion now.

• @Spirit, Check http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/1063/vps6.net#Item_2

@Naruto, Thanks for your comments about the service! We will continue to do our best for you.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

@vps6net

let me ask you AGAIN - what's your connection with Dann Fry. It's known that he owned domain vps6.net few months ago. Also your website seems his ordinary design. Make up some story atleast...

• @Spirit said: let me ask you AGAIN - what's your connection with Dann Fry.

I think I can answer that.

vps6net and Dann Fry share a common hominid ancestry, going back several million years. Actually you are a part of that same evolutionary tree, which means that you are also connected to Dann Fry.

I hope this helps clarify the situation.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@sleddog said: I think I can answer that.

vps6net and Dann Fry share a common hominid ancestry, going back several million years. Actually you are a part of that same evolutionary tree, which means that you are also connected to Dann Fry.

I hope this helps clarify the situation.

Usually it's @net that trolls like this, good job :P

Francisco

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited January 2012

@Francisco said: Usually it's @net that trolls like this, good job :P

Hey, I'm just tryin' to pick up the slack. Thanks.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

But it's actually interresting how he avoid to give direct answer :)

Anyway, @sleddog thank you for answering instead @vps6net :P

• @Spirit - you're welcome, and thank you for not taking offense :)