Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenLiteSpeed Questions (Now with More Answers!)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenLiteSpeed Questions (Now with More Answers!)

lsmichaellsmichael Member

I'm trying this again (and making a backup of what I write this time).

BronzeByte asked a few questions about OpenLiteSpeed in another thread. That thread was already on to another topic, so I figured I'd make my own thread to answer the questions. The answers get kind of long, so I'm only going to answer one per post...

Here are the questions BronzeByte asked:

1. Can that panel be disabled? It feels like microsoft shoving a GUI down my throat with free exploited included
  2. Is there an API for configuring websites?
  3. Chroot functionality or openbasedir thingy?
  4. Will it use all cores or do you need to modify the internal code for that?

Comments

• So, the WebAdmin console. (That's our name for the GUI. I'm shoving at least the name down your throats.)

Yes, you can turn it off. There are two ways to do so:

1. Make a file called disablewebconsole in $SERVER_ROOT/conf/

touch /usr/local/lsws/conf/disablewebconsole

You need to restart the server for this change to take effect.

/usr/local/lsws/bin/lswsctrl restart

To turn the WebAdmin console back on, just remove the file.

1. Run

$SERVER_ROOT/conf/switch_config.sh -plain

This turns OpenLiteSpeed to plain text configuration and the WebAdmin console doesn't work with plain text configuration.

To turn it back to XML configuration run

$SERVER_ROOT/conf/switch_config.sh -xml

(These are the only two options for this command.)

• Last time I started this thread (just before one of the hacks) someone asked a question about that explanation (or something to do with it), but now I can't remember what the question was...

• Question 2:

There is not an API yet. We're planning to build that into version 1.1, but that's a little ways off yet.

• NoermanNoerman Member

@lsmichael that was me, I will re-make the questions later.

• Great. Actually, I just PMed you. I remembered who it was, just don't like to mention people I don't know by name.

• NoermanNoerman Member

@lsmichael PM answered. Thanks for supporting the users of your Open Source Software.

• Question 3:

No. OpenLiteSpeed has no chroot feature, though we will consider putting it in future builds. Open_basedir is an Apache directive and OpenLiteSpeed doesn't use Apache directives. Right now, that's an Enterprise feature.

• @Jack Yeah, I know. It's very clever...

• Finally, question 4:

OpenLiteSpeed has a "Number of Workers" setting (WebAdmin console > Configuration > Server > General). That sets the number of worker processes. It can go up to 16 worker processes (allowing you to scale up to 16 cores).

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited May 2013

Hi,

First of all, very kind of you go repeat these answers

With API I meant insert htaccess rules from outside, but I guess the configs can do that

The lack chroot is what holds me back from switching my clusters to OpenLiteSpeed and can't afford LiteSpeed Enterprise in 10-server clusters ;-)

• Howdy,

OK. What you can do (and WE DEFINITELY DO NOT SUPPORT THIS) is have an include for configurations in your user's document root, for example. The server will read these configuration files if they exist. Changes to these files will only be applied when you do a restart and there's a chance that your user could royally screw up the server (which is why we don't support this), but it's definitely possible.

And, c'mon, you can afford Enterprise. Be a pal... (Seriously, though, it's generally cheaper than upgrading your software. OK. End of spiel.)

m

• Oh, and, of course, yes, you can edit anything yourself from the configs (or the WebAdmin console).

• So, as frequently happens, I made a mistake. Open_basedir is not an Apache directive. It is a PHP directive. As such, yes, there is an open_basedir thingy. Sorry about getting that wrong...

m

@lsmichael said:
    Question 3:

No. OpenLiteSpeed has no chroot feature, though we will consider putting it in future builds. Open_basedir is an Apache directive and OpenLiteSpeed doesn't use Apache directives. Right now, that's an Enterprise feature.

• RalliasRallias Member

So there's absolutely no problem with me taking the source to this product, packaging it up, and pushing it to proposed in Ubuntu?

• No problem whatsoever. We'd be tickled pink.