Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Setting up backup server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Setting up backup server

Hi,

I've purchased backup server and looking to best solution to backup specific directory with database and full vestacp backups.

What I am thinking is to install vestaCP with any other service disabled and using it's FTP to setup backups on VestaCP of other servers and rsync or other tools + WordPress plugins for specific sites.

Is there any better solution available?

Comments

• Why not rsync the Vesta backups as well? Saves you the Vesta install on the backup server.

• Write a cronjob for VestaCP, backup the /backup folder with rsync or whatsoever.
    I'm using https://github.com/skurudo/vestacp-backup-to-mega-cloud works great! :)

Thanked by 1vpsGOD
  • @ThomLSA @Saragoldfarb

Issue is not how to backup the servers but how to maintain them. I want the backup to reach destination securely and it's not backup from one server or platform

It will have backups from multiple servers of vestaCP, WordPress and some manual stored backups.

• Move backups thru servers using rsync or scp. Give key access to the server that will handle the copy.
    Detailed:
    1. Create automated backups to the servers that you want to be backed up (vestacp backups, WP backups etc.).
    2. On your backup server, create ssh key and copy it to the servers you want to be backed up. This way, you will have a secure transfer from the main servers to the backup one.
    3. Create a script in your backup server that secure copy the backup files from the main servers.
    4. Cron the script to run whenever you want.
    5. Voila, this is your secure transfer for your backups.
    6. Create a script that deletes older backups, according with your needs (do not copy only today's backup, this is not a bulletproof strategy. Keep at least 2-3 daily and/or weekly backups)
    7. Once a while, check if your backups are working.