Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[UK] Virtual6.net - Rock solid UK KVM VPS (Sheffield) - 20% OFF + One month FREE!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[UK] Virtual6.net - Rock solid UK KVM VPS (Sheffield) - 20% OFF + One month FREE!

Hello LET Members/Visitors, thank you for taking the time to view this, our most recent offer, which is exclusive to LET.

We own and maintain our own enterprise level server cluster. Below we explain more about our technical infrastructure, including the network and power that is provided to our hardware. Please view our uptime history which is published at https://stats.uptimerobot.com/X6jL5C4Kj

This weeks deal:-

• 30GB RAID-10 6Gbps SATA Storage
  • 768MB DDR3 ECC RAM
  • 1TB Bandwidth PCM @ 100Mbps
  • 1x Dedicated IPv4 Address
  • 2 x 3.4GHz vCPU Cores - Fair Share
  • £5.00 £4.00 PER MONTH PLUS YOUR SECOND MONTH IS FREE WITH PROMO CODE "LET"!
  • https://virtual6.net/virtual-machines/

Features:-

Instant Deployment (Subject to automated fraud check)

Control, Billing and Support in one secure control panel

KVM Virtualization with Zero Overselling guaranteed

One UK registered IPv4 address with custom rDNS support

Permanent VNC access via client, Java or HTML5 console

Custom ISO support (Upload your own .ISO install image)

99.90% Uptime guaranteed, account credit for downtime

Automatic upgrades for easy on demand scaling

UK Based customer services team, no outsourcing

Full disk encryption, custom kernel(s) and modules

24/7 Pro-active monitoring of our hardware and network

We’re within 11 miles of our fully owned servers, should we ever need to access them

Power:

Mains power is coupled with secondary power and is switched automatically on mains failure using an ATS, secondary power is provided by a 100kVA onsite diesel generator. This redundant setup is blackout tested every two weeks to confirm it’s working. The generator has enough fuel for 8 hours of constant running, with fuel re-supply arrangements in place should a critical situation ever arise. UPS Protected clean power is dual fed to the rack and in turn, to the physical server equipment eliminating any single point of failure up to the server itself.

Network (and SLA):

We utilise Virgin Media Business and Level3 as our bandwidth carriers and operate redundant Vyatta edge-routers with auto fail over BGP ensure continuous internet connectivity. We back our physical network further by offering a 99.90% uptime guarantee. If we fail to provide 99.90% service uptime in any given month, you will be issued a 50% credit towards your invoice.

Datacenter:

Our servers are housed within a private purpose built facility at Sheffield, UK. Aside from the power and network advantages, this facility also provides Water chilled Evaporative Cooling rather than traditional method air conditioning systems, this along with Hot Aile Containment ensures systems run at there designed operating temperatures all of the time and also reduces our carbon footprint. Better yet, we’re a ten minute drive away from physical access to our servers, meaning if we need to access them, we can do so easily.

Hardware:

We only use tried and trusted brand name hardware. Expect to see recently commissioned Supermicro Servers and Motherboards, Xeon E3 1240v3 processors, Kingston RAM and 6Gbps Seagate Enterprise hard drives in a RAID-10 array. We own all of our hardware and it’s free of any lease or finance arrangements. We aren’t a middle man and invested thousands up front into our hardware to offer you the best deals. We have spares at hand in case of hardware failures and can often have a replacement completed in as little as an hour. We run KVM as the underlying virtualization, offering a near native experience and true performance with features such as pre BIOS level VNC access, custom kernel support and fully encrypted disks.

Support:

We monitor our hardware and network 24/7 and are responsible for the administration and timely repair of both. We do not offer support to end users for anything at an operating system level (Excluding customers with a Managed subscription). Your service is your responsibility. Abuse of our hardware or network is not tolerated and we proudly reserve the right to suspend without warning if overall performance is affected by your service. This policy ensures quality for our loyal customers. Our UK based customer services team are available to assist you between the hours of 08:00 and 17:00 GMT Monday to Friday. Outside of these hours, both on site and remote engineers watch over our stuff and respond if and when required. Sleep well.

Comments

• Can you provide less bla bla about outsorsing with water cooling and provide a test IP at least?

Thanked by 1scttmthsn
  • Constant loads of 1.00 over 15 min is considered abusive

Uh-huh…

• Also: any IPv6?

• YuraYura Member
    edited February 2017

@ucxo said:

Constant loads of 1.00 over 15 min is considered abusive

Uh-huh…

@ratherback3d, Basically, utilizing 50% of 2 fair share vcores is an abuse?

Neat.

• Only just noticed that OP is "rather baked" (ratherbak3d) :D

• Your datacenter sounds pretty sweet

• ucxo said: Uh-huh…

I cant imagine what you'd intend to run (On a VPS) that would cause a constant load of 1.00, I'm yet to see any legitimate usage push this. But please do share your experience, if we need to re-consider, we will re-consider.

• Yura said: @ratherback3d, Basically, utilizing 50% of 2 fair share vcores is an abuse?

You're misinterpreting the sentence. If you used it constantly, yes. Using it temporarily is not a problem. What would you run that would create a load of 1.0 above 24/7?

• ucxo said: Also: any IPv6?

It's available but we have to pay to have it enabled, this of course would be considered for long term usage, but until somebody's comes to us with this as a strict requirement (And are willing to commit to a longer term) there's not much point in us paying to enable it, take up has been zero as of now.

• ratherbak3d said: It's available but we have to pay to have it enabled, this of course would be considered for long term usage, but until somebody's comes to us with this as a strict requirement (And are willing to commit to a longer term) there's not much point in us paying to enable it, take up has been zero as of now.

Really? Wow! This answer could only fit to a summerhost! Wouldn't touch your services just because of this answer...
    Couldn't you just answer that you don't provide ipv6 atm?

• jvnadr said: Really? Wow! This answer could only fit to a summerhost! Wouldn't touch your services just because of this answer...

Couldn't you just answer that you don't provide ipv6 atm?

We're far from a summer host thank you very much. How would you like me to answer? Why would we foot the bill for something none of our customers have asked for that makes zero financial sense.

You not using our services for no other reason than using this as an opportunity to moan for the sake of moaning does not bother me in the slightest. You would have never signed up anyway.

I've given an explanation, now can you actually give a reason you wouldn't use us because of this? How does this decision have any affect on our ability to provide a quality service?

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2017

ratherbak3d said: Why would we foot the bill for something none of our customers have asked for that makes zero financial sense.

Haven't you noticed in LET that tons of potential customers of a lot of hosts asking if ipv6 is enabled? It is normal that the customers that finally bought a vps from you do not have the need of an ipv6. Those who need it, just won't sign with you nor they will ask you to enable it. There are plenty of more famous and respected providers here and not only, with competitive prices that do offer ipv6. If you were a real professional hoster, then, you would offer that as default just because we are in 2017 now. And, please, can you provide us, if you want, an estimated cost for enabling ipv6 to your infrastructure? Is this so big?

ratherbak3d said: You not using our services for no other reason than using this as an opportunity to moan for the sake of moaning

If you think so...

ratherbak3d said: You would have never signed up anyway

And you saying that because? I have signed with tens of providers, old and new, to test their vps and I have stayed with a lot of them. Recently I signed to two of them after I criticized them in LET threads, willing to give them an opportunity to change my mind. One of them is hosting now 2 backup mail servers of me.
    I am a member. Maybe I am suspicious, rude, ignorant, moron, or just skepticist. They were professionals and answered me as a rep of a company should. You? Getting this unprofessional answers, it is a no no!

ratherbak3d said: I've given an explanation, now can you actually give a reason you wouldn't use us because of this? How does this decision have any affect on our ability to provide a quality service?

The lack of ipv6 in your service cannot in any way be an indicator of providing a quality service. There are a lot of providers that do not offer that at the moment but they do provide excellent services.
    It's the reason that made you decide that. The DC you are hosted can provide ipv6 to your servers, ipv6 ranges are too cheap now to be purchased, you could even give a dozen of ips instead of a small range (even if this is not the right practice) but you are so cheap to pay it unless you have... a huge public demand!
    But what can be said for a provider he runs his business for a while, still using as his main web presence a... blog wordpress template being so lazy even to delete the... "hello world" post from his "company's" first page?

TL;DR

I wouldn't touch your services because you are amateur, at least on how to run and represent a business.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • ratherbak3dratherbak3d Member
    edited February 2017

jvnadr said: But what can be said for a provider he runs his business for a while, still using as his main web presence a... blog wordpress template being so lazy even to delete the... "hello world" post from his "company's" first page?

Of course I've noticed, I've been here longer than you have, if we had it free of charge with no extra setup, it would be provided as default and probably will be at some point in time. It's not like we're holding something back from you that's readily available. We have a reason for not putting in place, if somebody like yourself wasn't prepared to sign up to a CHEAP annual VPS to have us foot the bill and set it up, why would we bother? We're not even saying we would pass the bill on, we're saying we would just need a commitment from the user asking for it before we would pay for it. If you're not prepared to do that, then IPv6 isn't a necessity. A lot of hosts blatantly oversell, does that mean we should too? No.

Read a little closer, that's not the default WP hello world, it's our own, from when we launched the site. There's nothing lazy about it. We use WP because it packs all of the features we need to run our main website. I have a unique design made which was up previously, we swapped that out for WP. So again, your comments mean nothing.

Just because I won't sit here and take uncalled rubbish from you on our offer thread, rather than bow down and take it, doesn't mean I don't know how to run a business. It means I'm passionate about what we do have and actually have answers for you, you just don't want to hear them. And of course, you're free to have your opinion, but don't label us as "Amateur" or a "Summer Host" because we don't fit your personal criteria and think I'm going to take it lightly.

Anyway, I'm going to end this discussion here. If you're as passionate as this about it, we can talk about it over PM rather than playing out a pointless argument in public for you to feel good about yourself. I hope I've covered everything.

• ethancedrik said: Your datacenter sounds pretty sweet

Thank you, it is very "cool" :P

• ratherbak3d said: I've been here longer than you have

No, you aren't.

ratherbak3d said: to feel good about yourself

No, I'm not.

ratherbak3d said: I hope I've covered everything.

No, you didn't. You chose not to give an estimated cost of this big costly unnecessary ipv6 thing...

ratherbak3d said: I'm going to end this discussion here

Me, too. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, wish you the best on your company. And I didn't mean you are a summer host (after all, you have been live a while) but you ACTED like a summerhost in this particular ipv6 thing.

/thread