Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] NoUptime.host
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Review] NoUptime.host

ucxoucxo Member
edited February 2017 in Reviews

Another review of a LET newcomer that intrigued me: @nouptimehost's discounted KVM

Like with "Tragic Servers", the name made them stand out and the offer looked nice (and cheap enough that it could bear it if they fell over and deadpooled right away).
Didn't really need another server in the US, but I take perverse delight in beta-testing new things and pointing out what's broken. :P

I'll admit right away it wasn't an entirely smooth ride, but they did a good job fixing things along the way and I ended up with a really well-performing server.

Edit to clarify: My VPS was delivered on 2017-01-31, so my experience is admittedly rather short. It might be useful nonetheless, so here goes. And according to Uptimerobot (ping and SSH every five minutes): up since 414 hrs, 27 mins (2017-01-31 19:10:53)

• Initially their PayPal checkout wasn't linked to their email address, so every attempt to pay failed. I opened a ticket, they responded within 4 hours and fixed the PayPal integration within 16 (apparently had to escalate it internally). They also offered to get me only right away, but I wasn't even awake at that time, so the 16 hour fix was just fine for me.

• Ran the usual tests when my VPS was provisioned; IO and network performance were pretty sweet: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2049666/#Comment_2049666

• My pet peeve RFC 6177, aka "one /64 per customer":
    I noticed they were assigning IPv6 addresses from a single /64 to all customers and asked one of their staff about that via live chat. He offered to ask the person responsible right away, but since I wasn't in a hurry, we just moved the topic to a ticket.
    Turns out their upstream is a bit of a pita and only gives out individual /64 subnets, so they would have to request one specifically for my server, which would take them 5-7 business days according to their estimate. Unfortunately for me, with that amount of effort involved they would have had to invalidate my 50% discount, so I politely declined.

• And last but not least, rDNS: was done via ticket at that time and they only offered it for IPv4. They did however offer to delegate the IPv6 rDNS to a nameserver of my choice if I were to order the private /64 mentioned above.

Bottom line:
As I expected, there were a few hiccups at the beginning (completely normal considering this particular brand of theirs had just been set up a couple of weeks ago), but they seemed to know their stuff (their main management guy was said to have 8 years of experience in the industry).
Their support was reasonably fast (replies within a couple of hours at the latest; usually in less than one hour) and they were very friendly and forthcoming in their replies.
The server performance was great too; if the server had been in the EU, I definitely would have kept it.

So yeah, go ahead and use them, I think most of the rough edges have been smoothed now. :)

Comments

• @ucxo Thank-you very much for the review that you have given! I think at some stage we will add a EU location but that won't be for some time.

• Ah yeah, that's something I might add: nouptime.host (@nouptimehost) is a relatively new project by the people behind nouptime.com (@NoUptime). They dropped a hint that they're planning to expand their services centered around the "no uptime" joke.

• I have a VPS with them as well and it's great. Network is fantastic and resources are generous.

• They have a good name :D
    It good to see when newhost have review like this. Hope this comoany can grow bigger

• Still have a few prepaid days left on my VM, so I ran another benchmark, this time including some CPU tests as well:

-------------------------
     nench.sh benchmark
     2017-02-25 18:04:30 UTC

Processor:    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
    CPU cores:    1
    Frequency:    4008.016 MHz
    RAM:          1.5G
    Swap:         -
    Kernel:       Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
    sda  30G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        2.242 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        3.851 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        0.733 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 186.8 us / 321.3 us / 7.61 ms / 123.2 us
    ioping: sequential speed
        generated 4.36 k requests in 5.00 s, 1.06 GiB, 871 iops, 218.0 MiB/s

dd test
        1st run:    387 MB/s
        2nd run:    398 MB/s
        3rd run:    392 MB/s
        average:    392 MB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    45.58.127.*

Cachefly CDN:         97.8MB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        9.86MB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   29.0MB/s
        Online.net (FR):      5.17MB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         6.65MB/s

IPv6 speedtests
        your IPv6:    2605:9880:400:*

Leaseweb (NL):        8.08MB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   30.1MB/s
        Online.net (FR):      12.1MB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         timeout (< 2MB/s)

nench.sh benchmark
     2017-02-25 18:07:00 UTC

Processor:    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
    CPU cores:    1
    Frequency:    4008.016 MHz
    RAM:          1.5G
    Swap:         -
    Kernel:       Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64

Disks:
    sda  30G  HDD

CPU: SHA256-hashing 500 MB
        2.301 seconds
    CPU: bzip2-compressing 500 MB
        3.991 seconds
    CPU: AES-encrypting 500 MB
        0.733 seconds

ioping: seek rate
        min/avg/max/mdev = 187.0 us / 318.4 us / 12.3 ms / 163.5 us
    ioping: sequential speed
        generated 4.04 k requests in 5.00 s, 1009.2 MiB, 807 iops, 201.8 MiB/s

dd test
        1st run:    367 MB/s
        2nd run:    369 MB/s
        3rd run:    374 MB/s
        average:    370 MB/s

IPv4 speedtests
        your IPv4:    45.58.127.*

Cachefly CDN:         101MB/s
        Leaseweb (NL):        14.1MB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   27.6MB/s
        Online.net (FR):      7.34MB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         13.2MB/s

IPv6 speedtests
        your IPv6:    2605:9880:400:*

Leaseweb (NL):        7.61MB/s
        Softlayer DAL (US):   21.6MB/s
        Online.net (FR):      7.62MB/s
        OVH BHS (CA):         timeout (< 2MB/s)

• What is this benchmark script?

• @SpectrumHost said:
    What is this benchmark script?

https://github.com/n-st/nench

I used to use freevps.us/bench.sh, but I've always been missing something to compare actual CPU performance (without running a huge test suite).

Thanked by 1SpectrumHost
  • They have potential and seems nice. But the name just ruins it imo. What's next? scrapyardservers.host?

• Wicked said: scrapyardservers.host

zeropercentuptime.lol

• @Wicked said:
    scrapyardservers.host

Well, there is summerhost.biz... ;)

• @NoUptime If i order a server, do you guarantee it's not going to have any uptime at least 99.5% of the time?