Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] ContraWeb €8.50/year KVM - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Review] ContraWeb €8.50/year KVM

Comments

• @doghouch said:

@ContraWeb said:

@mfs said:

ContraWeb said: U need to go to https://webcp.contraweb.net directly.

That doesn't work for who is the first node, right? I were told that the first node will eventually move to cp later this month (and now that I re-read the ticket I'm not sure if there will be some new template/OS or not)

Hello,

https://webcp.contraweb.net is still the Control Panel of the first node that will move to SolusVM later.

https://solus.contraweb.net is the link to the CP of the second node.

Wait why not just have one master and 2 slaves? Wouldn't it be easier for customers?

We bought this new node a week or so ago and decided not to go with Virtpanel anymore so we installed SolusVM on the new node.

The other node ran on Virtpanel with 100+ VM's on it, we will change this the 28th to SolusVM when we are in the datacenter.

• @ContraWeb VirtPanel?? Wow, sorry about the pain lol

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited February 2017

willie said: Mine's been idling nicely for more like 2 weeks now-- is that long enough? There's a fair amount of other evaluations and reports in the offer thread. Everything is pretty positive iirc. I'm quite happy with this vps except for the usual issue that I don't have a good use for it. But that's not the host's fault ;)

I'm not passing judgement on what long enough looks like, but if you're asking, I personally would never recommend a host unless I'd had at least one month of excellent service, and generally I'd be looking at 3 months. I also wouldn't make a recommendation unless I'd actually used the server to a reasonable degree so I can vouch for the fact I could use the resources I'd paid for.

The reason being is that I'd feel guilty if I recommended a host after a short period of not really using them, people bought off the strength of that recommendation and they received shit service. But, not everyone feels that way, and it's arguable that people should do their own due diligence and not buy based on a forum recommendation alone. Just the way I feel.

I do feel that reviewing a host after a few days and recommending them is a bit like recommending someone take a trip to the cinema to see a film after you've watched the first 20 minutes.

To be clear, I've no issue with anyone posting an initial impression (particularly of a new provider), I do have an issue with the language used around that (pet peeve of mine), but that's my issue, and I'm interested in the viewpoints of others on the subject.

Thanked by 2Yura vimalware
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2017

Nekki said: I personally would never recommend a host unless I'd had at least one month of excellent service

Nekki has a valid point here. It is another thing to bring a good or, even interesting offer under the spotlight, and another to recommend the service when you have tested it only for a couple of days.
    OP could avoid the work "recommended", but to be fair, he clearly stated that he was using the service only for 2 days. So, it is common sense for a reader to understand that the "recommendation" was based on the first impression and not after a heavy test of the service.

• Wake up,my vps gone:(
    Unhappy

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

Just checked, my VPS is still there

Did you contact them via ticket, @lingting ?

• @mfs
    Yes, I made a ticket,But has not yet been resolved!

• Mine is there but rebooted 19h15m ago, and has a mysterious root shell connected. Hmm.

• @willie said:
    Mine is there but rebooted 19h15m ago, and has a mysterious root shell connected. Hmm.

Interesting

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited February 2017

willie said: Mine is there but rebooted 19h15m ago

well, I didn't check the uptime... same here

there's ttyS0 connected since 2017-02-19 14:18 CET but it's vnc/serial console isn't it

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

Any idea how to figure out where the other end of that shell is? netstat -pt 22 only shows my connection, plus repeated short ones from China Telecom that look like a normal brute force attempt. Person has been trying for quite a long time.

Added: controlling tty of that root shell is TTYS0 (serial console?) rather than a pty, weird. I blocked the China Telecom address with iptables on general principle.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited February 2017

@willie said: and has a mysterious root shell connected.

mfs said: there's ttyS0 connected since 2017-02-19 14:18 CET but it's vnc/serial console isn't it

yes it is, at least that is for the VMs on the first node (with virtpanel). those shell has been there before, you most probably just didn't noticed it.

if you feel uncomfortable you can get rid of it at least on debian by editing grub.cfg , watch out for the line(s) containing console=ttyS0 and remove that part of the line (should be in GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX or something like that...)

run update-grub afterwards and reboot. for sure inside virtpanel the serial console won't work after making these changes.

my VM also rebooted, so most probably the whole node did. that wouldn't bother me much besides virtpanel obviously changing the root password back to the one saved and set there as default. looking forward to the planned migration to solus for getting rid of such interferences ;-)

Thanked by 1exception0x876
  • mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited February 2017

@willie ss -t show only my connection as well; is the other shell a ttyS0? No chinese guy bruteforcing port 22, since I always move sshd away from there to remove some noise

@Falzo I already did remove console=ttyS0 and GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND in grub but to no avail.. KVM over VNC was still there, at least on the first node, and both serial console and VNC. And to be honest I needed it because of a little bug (sometimes on reboot connectivity wasn't there, hence I had to reboot again from vncviewer/console)

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

Oh ok, the ttys0 is from virtpanel, fine. That's crappy about it resetting root password though. I always lock the root password. If I turn off password login in sshd config will it stop that?

Added: Well I turned ssh password auth off, will see if that gets reset. Will figure out later what if anything to do about vnc. Will also think about whether to switch the port: have to figure out if that will break anything like my ansible scripts.

I remember something now about the node crashing due to a ddos attack, so that would explain the reboot.

Thanks for the help!

• My vms (on old and new node) both havent rebooted.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited February 2017

@mfs said: I already did remove console=ttyS0 and GRUB_SERIAL_COMMAND in grub but to no avail.. KVM over VNC was still there, at least on the first node, and both serial console and VNC. And to be honest I needed it because of a little bug (sometimes on reboot connectivity wasn't there, hence I had to reboot again from vncviewer/console)

I did that right after setting up the whole box... if I remember correctly I did some things more, most probably deleting every service from systemd related to it. something like systemctl disable [email protected] and/or removing the files from /lib/systemd/system like [email protected] or so, also commented out the uart/ttySx devices in /etc/securetty ...

@willie said:
    I always lock the root password. If I turn off password login in sshd config will it stop that?

no, that won't change anything... while I am looking further into it, there is an init-script /etc/init.d/virtpanel which seems to mount a floppy containing settings for IPs, nameserver and obviously a password.txt etc.

will see what happens if we get rid of it ^^

edit: I'd guess, that's at all just a thing related to the given pre-made templates through virtpanel. shouldn't happen at all, if one would setup the system via VNC and regular netinst iso...

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited February 2017

Falzo said: systemd

ah right, the almighty systemd AI ; good catch

[email protected] is masked but system-getty.slice is loaded and has activated another S0, for all the poetterings

edit: masked [email protected] as well, commented /etc/securetty, rebooted, ttyS0 is still there but serial console seems not working any more (KVM over vnc is still working)

edit2: well no, I've casually tried again to connect a serial console via virtpanel... and it still worked

I'll eventually rm those services... I thought masking would have been enough

• skbenterpriseskbenterprise Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

@ContraWeb said:

@WSS said:

@ContraWeb said:
    Wait, u requested a cancellation in youre first ticket and opened a second ticket to cancel the cancellation?

I was rather pissed that I couldn't access the account or reset my password. :)

Oh sorry about that.

Thats another reason why we are moving away from Virtpanel they promised me to fix that 3 months ago. :')

Plus the fact that it's hosted so we don't have control over it.

Wait what? You don't have control over the system/cp you use? Sounds unprofessional and not to be trusted in my perspective.

• sbakker said: Wait what? You don't have control over the system/cp you use? Sounds unprofessional and not to be trusted in my perspective.

Hosted panels are a pretty standard thing... buyshared uses hosted cpanel iirc. And Contraweb is working on moving away from virtpanel so it all seems cool.

Thanked by 1joeri
  • sbakker said: Wait what? You don't have control over the system/cp you use? Sounds unprofessional and not to be trusted in my perspective.

you might want to have a look here: https://www.virtpanel.com/

the panel itself is an SaaS solution, so he can not make much changes or adaptions to the panel software/scripts. I wouldn't call that untrustworthy per se , it's just another approach... after all it should not mean that he is not able to interfere with the system/hostnode itself ;-)

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited February 2017

sbakker said: Sounds unprofessional and not to be trusted in my perspective.

Not to be trusted, mmh?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

WSS said: turning on tun/tap

This is KVM, or?

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @Falzo said:

sbakker said: Wait what? You don't have control over the system/cp you use? Sounds unprofessional and not to be trusted in my perspective.

you might want to have a look here: https://www.virtpanel.com/

the panel itself is an SaaS solution, so he can not make much changes or adaptions to the panel software/scripts. I wouldn't call that untrustworthy per se , it's just another approach... after all it should not mean that he is not able to interfere with the system/hostnode itself ;-)

VirtPanel wasn't the best sollution for us, thats why we are moving away, that you barely have any control over the panel is one of the reasons.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

Now that you're using SolusVM, you should have chat with @AnthonySmith about "having any control over the panel"

jk

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • ContraWebContraWeb Member
    edited February 2017

@brueggus said:
    Now that you're using SolusVM, you should have chat with @AnthonySmith about "having any control over the panel"

jk

• We are out of stock again, it may take a while before your VPS is delivered.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@ContraWeb said:
    We are out of stock again, it may take a while before your VPS is delivered.

Perhaps it would be a good idea then to change it to out of stock in your billing panel?

• @trewq said:

@ContraWeb said:

Perhaps it would be a good idea then to change it to out of stock in your billing panel?

Dunno- mine lasted a couple days (without use or ability to use).

• ContraWebContraWeb Member
    edited February 2017

@WSS said:

@trewq said:

@ContraWeb said:

Thanks for the tip, done. :-)

• @ContraWeb said:

@WSS said:

@trewq said:

@ContraWeb said:

Done.

wat