Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dealing with DoS when you're the source - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dealing with DoS when you're the source

2»

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@drmike is correct. They are KVM over IP devices and run a few hundred dollars on Newegg, but it's a one-time expense so it really is worth it if your data center is able to plug it in to the correct server when you need it that is.

As for the $30/1Mbps drop... OUCH! Is that normal price for most DCs? I thought $15/month for an extra 100Mbps drop was a good deal, now I know it is.

Thanked by 1drmike
  • @KuJoe said: As for the $30/1Mbps drop... OUCH! Is that normal price for most DCs? I thought $15/month for an extra 100Mbps drop was a good deal, now I know it is.

Depends on where that extra drop is coming from, redundancy and quality of bandwidth.

$15/month sounds ludicrously cheap. Whats its purpose? Is it redundant?

We don't have a 2nd drop yet, but we were considering getting one just for management (ILOs, DRACs, IPMIs, etc...) but we're trying to hold out for a good deal on another HP Procurve 2848.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I'm not sure why you'd need such a beefy switch for DRAC's, etc.

We're in the midst of getting some IPMI switches up and we're literally going with some simple layer 2 dell 24 port 100mbit switches that are $15 on ebay. They're stable and your IPMI is going to be 100mbit only anyways.

Francisco

@Francisco said: I'm not sure why you'd need such a beefy switch for DRAC's, etc.

We mainly want one as a backup. In the event our current one completely dies on us we can always plug everything into the management switch and have everything back up and running with some quick changes in the CLI (our current backup is not ideal, this one would be). :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Touche :)

Francisco