Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server to host torrent client
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server to host torrent client

Rather than route my torrent client over a VPN, I'd like to run it remotely in a country that is amenable to torrenting, and then securely download the files.

Usage is going to be sporadic and relatively low bandwidth, so would suit hourly pricing rather than a VPS running 24/7.

I have considered Switzerland due to their laws, but the swiss VPS prices are high.

Can you recommend a provider/country?

Comments

• MrKaruppuMrKaruppu Member
    edited February 2017

Scaleway has torrentboxes and supports hourly billing too.
    You should check /r/SeedBoxes

Notable providers include: seedhost.eu | whatbox.ca | feralhosting.com

Thanked by 1BunnyEars
  • Are you going to use public or private trackers? If you're going to use public trackers then you'll probably end up getting DMCA letters from your provider.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

If your using it over VPN you might as well just torrent from home, it will be faster, if you think because your paying some legitimate host $5 / the cost of a bag of Doritos + a dip they are going to shield you from the law then you are terribly mistaken.

Probably best off finding some useless kiddie host on Hack Forums that validates no one so you can sign up with fake information and be anonymous if that is your goal.

Thanked by 1BunnyEars
  • @crjs said:
    Are you going to use public or private trackers? If you're going to use public trackers then you'll probably end up getting DMCA letters from your provider.

I hadn't thought that far ahead (or I wasn't aware the difference). I haven't torrented for ~7 years, but have become sick of trying to rip TV shows from my DVD collection (chapters in Handbrake aren't matching the start & end of each show, so then they have to be combined) so downloading the results of someone else's ripping seems very preferable.

• alaningusalaningus Member
    edited February 2017

A lot more people avail themselves of 'streaming' sites these days.

In the UK, at least, streaming is not targeted by the Copyright Police, whereas torrenting is (because of the upload element).

Lots of sites out there and as quick as they're blocked/shut down they pop up again.

Kodi + plugins = everything out there

Thanked by 1BunnyEars
  • @alaningus said:
    A lot more people avail themselves of 'streaming' sites these days.

In the UK, at least, streaming is not targeted by the Copyright Police, whereas torrenting is (because of the upload element).

Lots of sites out there and as quick as they're blocked/shut down they pop up again.

Kodi + plugins = everything out there

Yes, and this type of abuse is killing KODI. See the kodi site and the devs. The ebay Kodi box sellers are being so blatant about it that it's only matter of time before they come after Kodi users like they did with torrenters. Torrents followed the same process, people who knew about usenet used it and when torrent clients became common place, the DCMA police came after the torrent and usenet sites. So use kodi whilst you can. It won't be for too long now.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

If you're just downloading, and not seeding torrents for hours I doubt you would have a problem on the majority of providers, even ones in the U.S. who do have strict policies. If you're not concerned about being able to seed, just set the torrent client to stop seeding at 1.0-2.0 ratio.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • @asterisk14 said:

>

They know Kodi isn't the problem. That's why they concentrate on shutting down the streaming sites that Kodi plugins feed off.

And it's no surprise that they clamp down on people taking the piss and selling Kodi boxes fully loaded with plugins (in the UK)