Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

100% CPU-bound job, looking for servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

100% CPU-bound job, looking for servers

Hi,

In the process of picking up 4 servers from a couple of providers here, but looking to bump that up a few more from somewhere else to spread the risk a bit.

TurnKey (who have been messing us around for a week confirming the CC validity) and QuadIX (will see how that goes, only just put the order through...)

At the moment the best raw-cpu price/performance point seems for be X5650's (6C/12T) and we'd need min 32GB, max 64GB, disk and location a non-issue.

Anyone got something (or a recommendation) that fits the bill?

Cheers.

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

An important consideration is how your app uses CPU. Do you need maximum single threaded performance, or maximum number of cores, etc.

• Each job is parallel, and there are multiple jobs running. We can make use of every thread we can get our hands on...

• DedispecDedispec Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

What are your bandwidth requirements?

• Quite low. Maybe in the order of a few GB/day.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Amazon Spot Instances!

• WSI's Dual E5-2670s are going to be your best bet for this.

• WSI is the best bet to be cheap but talk to them they may offer better deal if you want bulk

@trewq said:
    Amazon Spot Instances!

+1 if there is low BW usage then Aws spot instances are great and should be used for this type of Workload

OR

Build an constellation of E3 and i7 from hetzner

• pkh said:

At the moment the best raw-cpu price/performance point seems for be X5650's (6C/12T) and we'd need min 32GB, max 64GB, disk and location a non-issue.

Where do you get those and how much are you paying for them? I thought Hetzner i7/e3's were about the best you could do. What is the application if you don't mind my asking?

There are a few high-end Online promo servers left if you need something big:

https://console.online.net/en/order/server_limited

• RapidDediRapidDedi Member, Patron Provider

We might have something for you in Seattle, what is your budget?

• Maybe ask @ishaq if he still has cpu cores to burn on his nodes.

• ru_tldru_tld Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2017

We can offer such servers in NL:

2x Intel Xeon E5-2650V4 (12C / 24 T ) / 128 GB RAM / 4x1TB SATA / 1Gbit + 10 TB for 148 EUR /month

If you're interested please PM me or send email to [email protected]

Thanked by 2doughmanes Tom
  • Nice, 22000 passmark or so and 128gb ram, I want it :). But I think you can get more raw cpu cycles at the same cost using a bunch of smaller servers, if you don't need the big memory and single box.

• Scaleway just launched their workload intensive range. Might be worth looking at.

• Maybe https://soyoustart.com/en/power8/ will tickle your fancy... 192 threads. All depends if what your running will work on the power8 architecture.

• dodedodo said: Scaleway just launched their workload intensive range. Might be worth looking at.

I tried the 60gb one. It's a D-1531, around 10k passmark, a good deal if you need a bit of time on a high-ram machine, but not that attractive for pure cpu.

• DedispecDedispec Member, Patron Provider

If you're doing multiple I can do: Dual X5650 / 64GB RAM / 120GB SSD - $55/m

• serverofferserveroffer Member, Patron Provider

Intel i7-4770 32GB RAM 1TB HDD 45 € month

• if Romania is ok for you i can provide a Dual cpu X5650 with 32-64 gb ram , 1gps port speed and you can choose from 4 different networks. Pm if you are interesed.