Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

gmail spam
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

gmail spam

The amount of gmail spam I am receiving is increasing each day. I am getting more gmail spam than any other kind. iCloud doesn't seem to have figured it out.

From looking at the headers it is different gmail accounts. Is there way to effectively complain to Google? From looking at the spam, it seems to me it is the same spammer with some kind of sign up bot and template. You would think Google would blacklist IPs to try to stop this.

Any suggestions or just the daily mark as junk and move on?

Comments

• ewrekewrek Member
    edited February 2017

Easy, don't use Gmail and move to your own domain. You don't need the Knowledge about servers. Just go for a hosting package. Btw, what is much? My old gmail gets 160 spam mail a month.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited February 2017

ewrek said: Easy, don't use Gmail and move to your own domain

i thinks he means, is receiving SPAM mails from users with GMAIL accounts to his iCloud account.

• @dedicados said:

i thinks he means, is receiving SPAM mails from users with GMAIL accounts to his iCloud account.

We will see. Bet accepted.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited February 2017

ewrek said: We will see. Bet accepted.

done

Thanked by 1ewrek
  • if were to be the other way round gmail simply would block you, so first suggestion would be to simply block gmail on your mail-server.

yet I know that this is not gonna happen because customers will always blame you.
    they'll blame you if gmail happens to block your service and also they will do if they won't be able to receive from legal gmail senders...

there is no easy way... have a look into spam-assassin and define a malus for gmail might help making real spam hop over the limit.

• niknik Member, Host Rep

@dedicados said:

ewrek said: We will see. Bet accepted.

done

I'm on your side :D

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • You win.

@dedicados said:

• So this thread is a great, and humbling lesson to me on communicating. I can see now how someone could read my request as something other than what I intended. I'll try harder.

I think the spammers have given up buying VPS deals and just use gmail as a mailer. Gmail doesn't seem to have figured this out. I'd like to help them by complaining or in any other way. Neither has icloud as all the gmail spam gets through.

• MTUser2012 said: The amount of gmail spam I am receiving is increasing each day. I am getting more gmail spam than any other kind.

I see equally large amounts from Hotmail/Outlook and Yahoo as well.

Content filtering > Junk folder

Not worth the time to attempt to do anything else.

• Forward the emails to Spamcop but yeah I have this observation also. I'm working with Mailcow about having a "new domain filtering" feature added with spam samples to get this feature working to protect you against new domains (.xyz, .info, cheap domains on a promo) from flooding you.

A filter to trash those *[email protected] SEO spams works.

• @MTUser2012 said:
    I think the spammers have given up buying VPS deals and just use gmail as a mailer.

They do both, and will try any other avenue possible to keep the messages flowing.

Gmail doesn't seem to have figured this out.

Nonsense. Spam is not a new problem. Google is not a dumb company. They're clearly complicit in the ongoing abuse. The larger problem is that too many regular people use Gmail, too, and willingly act as human shields.

Neither has icloud as all the gmail spam gets through.

So ditch the address that Apple has allowed to fall into the hands of spammers. There really is no other way, because even if Google did crack down the spammers would simply take the known-good address and go somewhere else. If Apple can't protect your contact information any better, consider ditching iCloud completely.

• SendGrid has blacklisted IPs because next stop after Gmail being unsuccessful is a free SG account to blast from

• ExpertVMExpertVM Member, Host Rep

@doughmanes said:
    Forward the emails to Spamcop but yeah I have this observation also. I'm working with Mailcow about having a "new domain filtering" feature added with spam samples to get this feature working to protect you against new domains (.xyz, .info, cheap domains on a promo) from flooding you.

A filter to trash those *[email protected] SEO spams works.

Please share with everyone if it is possible too.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited February 2017

The "[email protected]" filter I use on Thunderbird. It works great. Sometimes they do "[email protected]" too.

If anybody has spam samples from "new" domains (less than 30 days registered) pastebin the emails and PM them to @ServerCow

Thanked by 1Servercow