Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr for video encoding? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr for video encoding?

2»

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

I just figured that if I can do the sample under vsdc faster on the 1024 CUDA cores than you can with CPU cores it would at least give you an indication as to the value in perusing it further.

VSDC is by no means high end, its fairly basic it just has GPU encoding enabled on the paid version, much like most editing packages.

• For vsdc the numbers you posted from your own samples are great and sufficient. What I'm not sure of is that vsdc uses nvenc. I suspect that it does but the hope was to test that. I'll figure something out at some point.

• xyzxyz Member
    edited February 2017

AnthonySmith said: I am not sure I understand, are you saying CPU is faster than GPU for video encoding?

GPU encoders tend to give absolutely crap output compared to state-of-the-art CPU encoders. If you tune the CPU based encoder to use faster analysis settings (eg --preset superfast in x264/265), GPU encoders usually aren't that much faster, and probably still yield worse compression.

GPU encoders also tend to be less flexible and less developed (eg limited profile support, less tunable, lacking various codec features etc).

Thanked by 1JahAGR
  • @xyz said:

AnthonySmith said: I am not sure I understand, are you saying CPU is faster than GPU for video encoding?

GPU encoders tend to give absolutely crap output compared to state-of-the-art CPU encoders. If you tune the CPU based encoder to use faster analysis settings (eg --preset superfast in x264/265), GPU encoders usually aren't that much faster, and probably still yield worse compression.

GPU encoders also tend to be less flexible and less developed (eg limited profile support, less tunable, lacking various codec features etc).

This is exactly why nobody who has specific needs other than "making a quick video" uses GPU to encode. CPU might be slower but the quality is much higher in the end.

As for the original question, just use the cheapest cloud VPS. They will eventually limit your CPU shares priority lower so your neighbors won't complain, but in the end you likely won't even notice the difference. If you max CPU 24/7 with bitcoin mining, then you will be suspended. Doing few encodes a day likely won't even get you limited.

• @stefeman I will try soon to use a single core cheap VPS to do a movie encoding. What's the recomended way? Install a desktop on my Debian? Do it through console? Using handbrake or other software?

• Vancete said: @stefeman I will try soon to use a single core cheap VPS to do a movie encoding. What's the recomended way? Install a desktop on my Debian? Do it through console? Using handbrake or other software?

I just use ffmpeg from the console but the CLI and its docs are a bit confusing and take some getting used to, depending what you want to do. The command is basically (for example)

ffmpeg -i inputfile.mp4 -s 800x600 -acodec copy outputfile.mp4

if you want to change the resolution of an mp4 file. The -acodec copy means just copy the audio channel instead of transcoding it. If you want to transcode from one video format to another, just use the extension you want on the output file and ffmpeg will figure it out. Beyond that though it gets complicated: there are a huge number of parameters you can use. I think there might be some gui front ends for it.