Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN automated installer - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN automated installer

14567810»

Comments

• Hi @Nyr,

I'm going to setup your VPN script on a fresh new VPS server with 1CPU + 1GB RAM + 25GB Disk.

I know that your script is compatible with Ubuntu, Debian and CentOS, but i really wanted to hear from you what is the OS that you most recommend to use with OpenVPN.

I'm looking for the most reliable and secure OS to use with OpenVPN. The VPS will only be used for the OpenVPN.

Thanks

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@nqservices any of the 3 options is fine, just a matter of personal preference :)

Thanked by 1nqservices
  • sonicsonic Veteran

@nqservices said:
    Hi @Nyr,

I'm going to setup your VPN script on a fresh new VPS server with 1CPU + 1GB RAM + 25GB Disk.

I know that your script is compatible with Ubuntu, Debian and CentOS, but i really wanted to hear from you what is the OS that you most recommend to use with OpenVPN.

I'm looking for the most reliable and secure OS to use with OpenVPN. The VPS will only be used for the OpenVPN.

Thanks

Choose OS which you familiar with most.

• @Nyr said:
    @nqservices any of the 3 options is fine, just a matter of personal preference :)

@sonic said:

Hi @Nyr and @sonic,

Thanks for your advices. I will build 2 VPS servers and in one i will use Debian 8 and on the other CentOS 7.

Can you please tell me if i should use the "normal" or the "minimal" images? I work with 2 different hosting companies and one of them has Minimal CentOS and Debian OS images but the other does not have the "Minimal" OS option.

Thanks

• sonicsonic Veteran

@nqservices said:

@Nyr said:

@sonic said:

Hi @Nyr and @sonic,

Thanks for your advices. I will build 2 VPS servers and in one i will use Debian 8 and on the other CentOS 7.

Can you please tell me if i should use the "normal" or the "minimal" images? I work with 2 different hosting companies and one of them has Minimal CentOS and Debian OS images but the other does not have the "Minimal" OS option.

Thanks

Both minimal and normal is fine, dont worry man!

• hi thanks!! works great
    is it possible to communicate between 2 pc connected to the vpn?

• nockernocker Member

can i limit bandwidth usage per user?

• ElnarRElnarR Member

I personally and repeatedly tested this openvpn-install script from GitHub. Everything work correctly both for CentOS and for Debian/Ubuntu.

• @nocker said:
    can i limit bandwidth usage per user?

Be very cool if this was possible to do easily.

• akhfaakhfa Member

I try to change from 'proto udp' to 'proto tcp' on the server.conf and the ovpn file. the client can connect successfully but cannot resolve DNS. Anyone ever try to change to tcp?

• Why not just use OpenvpnAS. wget and dpkg -i and you're done.

• guhaguha Member

Can u setup softether + whmcs

• Well, for starters, OpenVPN AS free only has 2 concurrent connections, not good if you have a few devices to connect.

Second, this installer in many ways is easier to install with minimal configuration options.

Lastly, I suggest you read up on OpenVPN before you make a post telling us why we shouldn't @hampered.

• @hampered said:
    Why not just use OpenvpnAS. wget and dpkg -i and you're done.

You are limited to 2 connections with OpenVPN Access Server free version

• @akhfa

I've done it before, and using the exact same steps you've performed.

Strange that it can't resolve DNS, are you using the system's resolvers?

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • akhfaakhfa Member

@FlamesRunner said:
    @akhfa

I've done it before, and using the exact same steps you've performed.

Strange that it can't resolve DNS, are you using the system's resolvers?

After looking your answer, I try again in another network and it works fine. Maybe firewall rule block the access :-/

Anyway thanks for the answer

• Hi

I would like to use AES 256 bit as encryption

should I replace AES-128-CBC with cipher AES-256-CBCin the Script (the lines 279 and 378 ?) and start the installation or it is not as easy as i thought

• Hi, I was wondering how do I bookmark this thread in LET? I'm referring to use this (https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussions/bookmarked) and not the Browser bookmark since mine is currently swamped. I want to try setting up my own VPN in the future when I get my first VPS in a BF sale.

• @CasualCanvas said:
    Hi, I was wondering how do I bookmark this thread in LET? I'm referring to use this (https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussions/bookmarked) and not the Browser bookmark since mine is currently swamped. I want to try setting up my own VPN in the future when I get my first VPS in a BF sale.

When your on the page listing all the topics just click on the star

• LorneLorne Member
    edited April 2017

Hi @nyr been using this for awhile, thanks!

Just ran into issues with TLS though, looks like an update to the server may be the culprit. here is where it hangs:

Wed Apr 26 07:59:38 2017 ++ Certificate has EKU (str) TLS Web Server Authentication, 
    expects TLS Web Server Authentication
    Wed Apr 26 07:59:38 2017 VERIFY EKU OK
    Wed Apr 26 07:59:38 2017 VERIFY OK: depth=0, CN=server

Tried with new user / cert and get the same thing. Up until this point, it has worked flawlessly the past 6-8 months.

Any ideas what to try?

• @Lorne said:
    Hi @nyr been using this for awhile, thanks!

Just ran into issues with TLS though, looks like an update to the server may be the culprit. here is where it hangs:

Wed Apr 26 07:59:38 2017 ++ Certificate has EKU (str) TLS Web Server Authentication, 
    expects TLS Web Server Authentication
    Wed Apr 26 07:59:38 2017 VERIFY EKU OK
    Wed Apr 26 07:59:38 2017 VERIFY OK: depth=0, CN=server

Tried with new user / cert and get the same thing. Up until this point, it has worked flawlessly the past 6-8 months.

Any ideas what to try?

Could be a profile error, try creating a new one ^

• LorneLorne Member

@doghouch yeah i have tried that as well, no love :(

• Pretty nice

• I have only one thing to say about @Nyr and this script. It Works.

• Personally I am using Angristans fork of Niers script:
    https://github.com/Angristan/OpenVPN-install

• washaqwashaq Member
    edited April 2021

is it possible to add options (splitting DNS, Routing etc.) like in image into installation script. i dont want clients to use DigitalOcean's 1000gb transfer limit when they use internet for their own entertainment while VPN connection is on.

Edit: I added an Image but it did not show up, so i added image content below;
    Image: Client OVPN file: https://ibb.co/q1sNfdD

# /etc/openvpn/server/client-common.txt
    # To route un comment
    route-nopull

# Remote's IP Addresses 
    route 1.1.1.1
    route 1.1.1.2
    route 1.1.1.3

# Local Network of Remote
    route 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

For anyone referencing this script in documentation or anywhere else: git.io is being phased out this Friday, so if your documentation referenced the one-liner, it needs to be updated to something like this:

wget https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install/raw/master/openvpn-install.sh && bash openvpn-install.sh

Thank GitHub for the generous 5-day advance notice.