Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Linode be the nightmare for other providers? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Will Linode be the nightmare for other providers?

13»

Comments

• I miss my mnx, but still no IPv6, 5 posts (by myself and another guy) for support, and no response until posting on LET. :(

• @willie said:
    I'm puzzled by this whmcs and panel thing too. Why is there such a monoculture? Is there more happening behind the scenes in that stuff than I realize? Whmcs and Solus both seem like standard CRUD apps to me, though Solus also has to deal with some virtualization apis.

I guess it's mainly two factors: price (and maybe support?) and herd mentality.
    But I might be miles off as I'm no hoster and don't see it from their PoV.

One thing is sure, though: Even a well meaning god will be able to help major parts of the hosting industry if some evil guys take a closer look at whcms and with an evil intention.

If I were a hoster and my business relied on php I'd be afraid, seriously afraid.

And the question is not if that bad day will come but merely when it will come.

Thanked by 1willie
  • PHP can math. You just need to find someone who deals in PHP who actually understands it.

String = Int = Long = ObstructedBowel

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

willie said: I'm puzzled by this whmcs and panel thing too. Why is there such a monoculture? Is there more happening behind the scenes in that stuff than I realize? Whmcs and Solus both seem like standard CRUD apps to me, though Solus also has to deal with some virtualization apis.

Solus is garbage...someone else will have to answer. However, it may be as simple as "what is the alternative at the same price or cheaper?"

People look at WHMCS and say "well, heck, I could write that". But it's

(a) testing and integration with all those payment processors, name registrars, virt techs, hosting panels, etc.

(b) testing and integration with all those modules, and the modules are a part of the ecosystem - the more third party modules, the harder for someone else to break in

(c) a fat load of financial you-will-get-sued liability...I mean, it's tens of thousands of people's bank accounts. A bug in your software could bankrupt someone.

(d) many little things that WHMCS does that other systems don't - e.g., templated mailings, etc. - which on their own are easy but they add up to a lot of code.

I think it was BuyVM's @Aldryic who said he hated WHMCS but would never switch, just because by now it's so deeply customized/integrated. For greenfield situations (new host, wants to buy a system) there are options but it's extremely painful to switch.

It's not that reimplementing WHMCS is hard - there's no engineering challenge to solve. But it is a lot of work and apparently people who have done it have decided to sell the result rather than release it for free.

Thanked by 1willie
  • @VortexMagnus said:
    LightSail has a $5.00 package too.. doesn't mean anything.

Just don't use LightSail for network intensive applications, and anything that requires more than 70mb/s IO

• @doghouch said:
    Just don't use LightSail

FFY

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @raindog308 thanks for the detailed answer. Re the individual points, I'd given it a bit of thought earlier:

(a) testing and integration with all those payment processors, name registrars, virt techs, hosting panels, etc.

Payment processors: a few simple API's to get the main ones, others can be added. Name registrars: good point, I hadn't thought of that. Virt techs: I thought this was one of the hassles, that the virt stuff wasn't integrated with WHM so you end up using a separate thing like Solus instead? Hosting panels = like cpanel? Hmm I don't know what's involved with that.

(b) third party modules

Yeah, this is something I don't know about, what's out there and what's important. It's similar with Wordpress I guess. I wonder how anyone can use that POS and it turns out they depend on dozens of plugins and I've never gotten an understandable answer about what these plugins do. I'm helping someone with a very simple blog and it's slower than crap but she says all the plugins are needed.

(c) financial liability

Is this worse than the zillion ecommerce store and shopping cart apps that are already out there? They probably have more users than WHM.

(d) many little things

Good point, maybe I underestimate how much of that there is, or how important it is.

My old place did its own billing system but it didn't have nearly as much stuff, I guess.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

willie said: Virt techs: I thought this was one of the hassles, that the virt stuff wasn't integrated with WHM so you end up using a separate thing like Solus instead? Hosting panels = like cpanel? Hmm I don't know what's involved with that.

WHMCS talks to the Solus/Cpanel/etc. APIs to provision, terminate, etc.

• @Yura said:

@doghouch said:
    Just don't use LightSail

FFY

didn't want to get bashed for saying that, but yeah, just avoid them.

Amazon is only for buying crap, not for hosting

• Francisco said: You can see that the dedi's aren't in any other market since the cost of power in Buffalo is like half what it is in LA/TX.

There were some in other locations a couple weeks ago, but you're right, those seem to have all dried up now.

Francisco said:

I dunno, it seems lethal. You sell 50 of those things on an average $5/month

That sounds about right. It works better if you have 100k's of them like Hetzner. Thanks!