Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows Server - how can I have a user make folders, upload files, but not delete them
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows Server - how can I have a user make folders, upload files, but not delete them

I have some Windows servers with a workgroup on my home network. I use one server as a main backup for all the others. Each server has a user on that server.
They can create and upload files to shared folders. So far so good.
But I want to restrict the users, so they just can create folders and upload files, but not have access to modify or delete the files/folders they have uploaded.

Under the Sharing tab on each folder, I have granted the users right to Read and Change.
Then under the Security tab, I have granted the users right to Read & Execute, List folder content, Read and Write. Not ticking for Modify and Full control.

But the users can still delete folders and files they have uploaded. Is it possible, with the limits of using workgroup and shared folders, to deny users to delete and/or modify the content of the folder?

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

You set NTFS permission only to CREATE.

Drawback is that the user can't rename a file/folder. So if the user clicks on the button "New folder", the folder will be named "New folder" and the user can't rename it :)

Perhaps (I haven't tested) you could add the user "creator/owner" on the shared folder and then set permission deny on delete....

that might work

• mikho said: Perhaps (I haven't tested) you could add the user "creator/owner" on the shared folder and then set permission deny on delete....

If a deny modify on that user, all the other boxes is also ticked. And there is no box for just delete.

@myhken said:

mikho said: Perhaps (I haven't tested) you could add the user "creator/owner" on the shared folder and then set permission deny on delete....

If a deny modify on that user, all the other boxes is also ticked. And there is no box for just delete.

You need to use the advanced button.
    I'll get screenshots when I get back to my computer.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @mikho you talk about this:

Yes, click the advanced button on the first dialog box.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @mikho tnx allot you are a genius. Just had to create a Deny rule for the same user, and deny Delete and Delete folders and files. That did do the trick.

Thats why I love LET!!!

edited February 2017

If you add the user "creator/owner" and set deny on that user you don't have to worry if you add more users in the future.

Windows will then set the correct permissions when a user creates a file or folder.

Thanked by 2myhken r0xz
  • @mikho but where do you do that. For Creator owner is already in my list, and I do not get this long list like you do. I'm using Windows Server 2016 by the way.

edited February 2017

@myhken

!!! Don't forget (like I did) to change Type from Allow to Deny :) and clear the other security settings :) !!!!

Thanked by 1myhken

That's on a Windows Server 2016

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @mikho super