Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Redirecting non-www to www properly shouldn't be that hard.. lol @ pointing a CNAME to an IP address
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Redirecting non-www to www properly shouldn't be that hard.. lol @ pointing a CNAME to an IP address

marcmmarcm Member
This ^^

Comments

• blackblack Member
    4 extra characters in my URL bar? No thanks.
  • @marcm, your comments lately don't put you in a good light.
  • marcmmarcm Member
    @ShardHost - really? which comments for example?
  • Most comments have either been petty or throwing wild accusations without proof. Not sure what's got your back up over this whole drama; however I don't think its worth compromising ones integrity over
  • marcmmarcm Member
    @ShardHost - that's pretty vague so please, don't hold back, be specific.
    I've pointed out like 5 times that the DNS settings and redirects aren't configured correctly, but I guess I have to post a thread about it, maybe then the webmaster will fix it.
  • Makes sense. Most users assume there is a www in front.
  • gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2013
    Hmmmm by definition you cannot point CNAME to IP. CNAME is an abbreviation for Canonical Name - in short words an alias. If you have example.com pointing to 1.2.3.4 (A record) you can add CNAME aka alias www.example.com but it has to point to example.com (in this case A record name) and not to IP.
  • @marcm what @gbshouse said in terms of DNS you are just "restarting" the query it is intended to be used as an easier way to point, and subsequently change how subdomains resolve. That is, if and when a change is needed you don't need to modify multitudes of A records other than that it is inherently the same thing.
  • @marcm you want to look into ServerAlias settings aka alias for your server name if your web master is daft just explain it to him
  • oh boo Edit timer I want to
    make my
    posts nice and neat like this
  • kbeeziekbeezie Member
    @ShardHost "...without proof. Not sure what's got your back up over this whole drama; ..." ... well you could try doing an nslookup for CNAME ie:

nslookup
    set query=CNAME
    www.lowendtalk.com

www.lowendtalk.com canonical name = 66.216.109.251

^ Proof enough of a "WTF" moment?
  • kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited May 2013
    and A record for www.lowendtalk.com is NXDOMAIN. I mean they teach brand new customers customizing their domain's DNS at hostgator/godaddy this kind of thing...
  • marcmmarcm Member
    maybe I need to take out my box of crayons and draw this so that the admin/webmaster can understand.
  • upfreakupfreak Member
    @marcm CNAME isnt something to brag about. If they aren't doing it yet, they must have a reason for that. Keep quiet and watch. can?
  • nerouxneroux Member
    Can someone please explain to me what this thread is about? It doesnt seem to be a question, does it?
  • @neroux it's about "I want I want I want"
  • nerouxneroux Member
    Want what?
  • Considering how long we have been waiting for the Thanks button, I don't expect this to be done till 2015 at the earliest.
  • ^^^
  • FritzFritz Veteran
    Need like-dislike button here.
  • Soon™
  • nerouxneroux Member
    > Considering how long we have been waiting for the Thanks button, I don't expect this to be done till 2015 at the earliest.

@MrAndroid, oh so it is a reference to the forum

Generally it shouldnt be that much of a deal, but I agree it is easy to do and might create less confusion when somebody tries to use www.
  • I understand this thread was made, as @marcm probably doesn't know who to send this to. I'm not sure if @Liam can edit these records and given the hassle and issues of the last few days, it's all a but vague.

I my experience, however, a community like this needs a 'Bugs & Issues' or 'Feedback & Suggestions' thread where all these kinds of issues may be reported, discussed and handled. Perhaps this is an idea for the future?
  • zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    I think they are just busy at the moment and honestly having www CNAME is probably not the the biggest thing in the world, since you managed to get to the site without www and post here :)
  • @kbeezie you do not know what you are talking about @zhuanyi there's your www CNAME
    redirecting now to non www--Are you happy?
    That is not what it is intended for
    But at least anyone reading this threads now knows you guys can all count to POTATO
  • zhuanyizhuanyi Member
    @natestamm no idea why you are so offended when all I said was having the CNAME set up, even though it is 30 seconds work, may not be their top priority
  • budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited May 2013
    Is that hard to create A record pointing domain.tld to ip address and create CNAME record pointing www.domain.tld to domain tld and some nginx configuration?

server {
    listen 80;
    server_name www.domain.tld;
    return 301 $scheme://domain.tld$request_uri;
    }

server {
    listen 80;
    server_name domain.tld;

}
  • marcmmarcm Member
    @SysAdmin - Thanks for fixing the redirect. Hope you had a good weekend.