Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Before 8.8.8.8.. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Before 8.8.8.8..

2»

Comments

• @arda said:

@angstrom said:

arda said: ISP DNS, OpenDNS,

But nowadays I don't use Google DNS etc. I only use dnscrypt.

But DNSCrypt isn't a DNS service/provider, is it? You still need a DNS service/provider.

Yes, it has various resolvers. I didn't want to paste them all or the ones I'm using.

My question is, do you/can you trust all of them? I was using OkTurtles in the USA, but there seems to be some questions over cryptostorm. Then others in certain countries (i.e. overseas -> USA or Poland, with Mother Russia).

• @OnApp_Terry said:

@arda said:

@angstrom said:

arda said: ISP DNS, OpenDNS,

But nowadays I don't use Google DNS etc. I only use dnscrypt.

But DNSCrypt isn't a DNS service/provider, is it? You still need a DNS service/provider.

Yes, it has various resolvers. I didn't want to paste them all or the ones I'm using.

My question is, do you/can you trust all of them? I was using OkTurtles in the USA, but there seems to be some questions over cryptostorm. Then others in certain countries (i.e. overseas -> USA or Poland, with Mother Russia).

None of external DNS providers can be trusted in that case. You just have to rely on others' feedback. But at least dnscrypt + dnssec feature protects me from DNS spoofing (some ISPs do this).

• emgemg Veteran

I use Steve Gibson's excellent DNS benchmark tool to identify a set of fast responding DNS servers for a given site.

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

In a typical scenario, I point the internal computers to rely on the router, firewall, or domain controller for DNS. From there, I point the internal DNS server to forward to a set of DNS servers identified by Steve Gibson's benchmark tool as providing among the "best" performance overall. I also think about privacy regarding who runs those DNS servers. Thus, I don't like to rely on Google's DNS servers in a primary role, despite their performance.

• emgemg Veteran

P.S. Warning: Be careful if you run Steve Gibson's DNS benchmarking tool from behind a sophisticated firewall. It may trigger the firewall into thinking that the computer running the tool is attacking DNS servers on the internet, potentially blocking the computer from the internet.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jiggawattz said: hosts in /etc

That's how things were done everywhere before DNS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)#History

• jiggawattz said: hosts in /etc

Did you add an extra drive for that?

• Ole_Juul said:

jiggawattz said: hosts in /etc

Did you add an extra drive for that?

How about an extra ram for efficiency?

• @emg said:
    I use Steve Gibson's excellent

SNnrrrrnkk.

Thanked by 2mfs JahAGR
  • @Yura said:
    Today you use Google DNS. Tomorrow you'll kill a kitten.

Think about that.

Well that escalated quickly...

Google's DNS is used quite widely, even in Enterprise / Corporate environments.

• @PirateHitman said:
    Google's DNS is used quite widely, even in Enterprise / Corporate environments.

Ent/Corporate and privacy concerned private persons have different requirements, threat models and assets to protect. Google is an antiprivacy invasive corporation and we provide too much information to them. It is a big mistake. DNS is a crucial piece of internet infrastructure and there is no need to use Google DNS "by default" since we have numerous and open alternatives working just fine.

• I use my own; 42149705 queries since 09.28.2016 :)

• Freenom.world - Dutch DNS (80.80.80.80, 80.80.81.81)

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

If you do not trust Google, OpenDNS (which is owned by Cisco now) etc., you can have a look at OpenNIC. It exists since about 15 years and is a free non-commercial project with currently 50+ T2 dns servers which you can use as your resolver when surfing the web. My personal experience isn't bad, I am using it since a couple of years. Many servers do not perform any logging at all. Due to the fact that most T2 providers there do not own their own IP space (most of the time IP comes with the server), the IPs might change from time to time. So you should definitely setup at least two or more servers near to you and check the server page if you encounter problems. https://servers.opennicproject.org/

Thanked by 2Yura Ole_Juul
  • I been using DNS.Watch (https://dns.watch). Check them out!

Thanked by 1Waxspacehosting
  • We had our own DNS server, this was the perfect prior to the 2009.

• before it was 7.7.7.7