Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question - how many people would be interested in NAT dedicated servers? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question - how many people would be interested in NAT dedicated servers?

Comments

• @WSS said:

@royed said:
    Is it also possible to "colo" your own hardware? maybe that is interested to :)

Someone colo'd a laptop recently.

Seriously? Where?

• @PirateHitman said:

@WSS said:

@royed said:
    Is it also possible to "colo" your own hardware? maybe that is interested to :)

Someone colo'd a laptop recently.

Seriously? Where?

Romania
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2013879/

• That would be great for people who do Continuous Integration farms, useful got Gitlab setups. I got my own that I made on an ESXi server, with internal networking and using pfSense for NAT. Works great. You might have some luck by targetting those peeps.

• mikho said: Don't forget the license costs; billing software, a control panel, like solus or virtualization.

Is there no decent free stuff?

• @willie said:

mikho said: Don't forget the license costs; billing software, a control panel, like solus or virtualization.

Is there no decent free stuff?

There isn't even any decent paid-for stuff- or haven't you been paying attention?

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

WSS said:

There isn't even any decent paid-for stuff- or haven't you been paying attention?

No I'm not involved in vps hosting, I'm just a user. Is there a pain point somewhere? The control panel is not a simple web gui wrapped around OpenVZ CLI tools? Billing with just one product type = use some free ecommerce script and add something to kick out a reminder at renewal time?

Also Blesta is $13/month branded, $15/month branded, doesn't seem bad if you're handling lots of gear with it. Wishosting uses it and it looks nice.

It's possible there's stuff I'm overlooking but the above stuff seems much simpler than something like cpanel.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

willie said: Maybe @AnthonySmith can advise?

If you offer 20GB for $3 on a low grade server people will buy it for the disk alone primarily so it does not seem like a great model on about 200GB of usable space assuming at least raid 1, I did something similar in Singapore but that was 12 x 1TB disks (might have been 24 x 300GB, I cant remember now) in Raid 6 iirc.

It failed due to Leaseweb SG being beyond a joke terrible, crap network and lack of interest but it was almost exclusively bought because of the amount of disk space for the same price as a bag of chocolate covered almonds.

Thanked by 2doughmanes i83
  • @willie said:
    No I'm not involved in vps hosting, I'm just a user. The control panel is not a simple web gui wrapped around OpenVZ CLI tools? Billing with just one product type = use some free ecommerce script and add something to kick out a reminder at renewal time?

The pain point? All of it. Sure, you can use/script/etc even use OSCommerce with the right amount of time to devote, however it's a very thin margin for most (especially for LETters) and other than a learning exercise, it's difficult to make much money from, is thankless, consumers your whole life, and all you usually get out of it is bald, annoyed, and your own shit colo'd. :)

If you're actually interested, I'd suggest hitting up @AnthonySmith. I don't remember him from around '93 when I first got into this industry, but he's still here and has at least a decade of weathering to himself.

Plus, depending on how big you are/what you need to manage, you can script some simple OVZ control things and just make your own console.

• I interest in the dedicated 5eur and VPS both , will preorder if

• Previder DC1 is in Hengelo if I'm not mistaken.
    If so, quite interested to have a VPS over here in the East.
    Any chance for a test IP?

• If with a /64 of IPv6, probably yes.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:

willie said: Maybe @AnthonySmith can advise?

If you offer 20GB for $3 on a low grade server people will buy it for the disk alone primarily so it does not seem like a great model on about 200GB of usable space assuming at least raid 1, I did something similar in Singapore but that was 12 x 1TB disks (might have been 24 x 300GB, I cant remember now) in Raid 6 iirc.

It failed due to Leaseweb SG being beyond a joke terrible, crap network and lack of interest but it was almost exclusively bought because of the amount of disk space for the same price as a bag of chocolate covered almonds.

I can include a bag of chocolate almonds if you buy yearly XD

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • Always interested in NAT vps. I'll buy one when you're up and running. PM me when that happens if you can =)

• AnthonySmith said:

If you offer 20GB for $3 on a low grade server people will buy it for the disk alone

Yep. Wishosting has something like that and I'm tempted no matter how much space I have elsewhere.

• @FoxelVox said:

@myhken said:
    But are you selling them out from your basement since you only have one IPv4?

Not out of my basement, in my local town we have a small community 'datacenter' with a 4x500mbit backbone from XS4ALL.nl, with 32 ipv4 in a dedicated location. We mostly do hobby stuff out of there but it would be nice if we can earn some money to cover some costs/bills

Contacting provider currently about IPv6.

@teamacc said:
    At the very least you should include an option (with the dedi) for a full ipv4 address for additional payment.

Aside from that, create a company and get a provider tag.

We're currently working on creating a company. :)

Wish we had something like that here in PA.

• Are community datacenters a common thing? I have an E3-1241 v3 box that I would love to put to use outside of it living its current life as a NAS.

• Look at http://hackerspaces.org/ to possibly find something near you. The one near me has about a half rack on-premises that hasn't had any space available in years, but it's a thing. It's also possible to get some fellow nerds together and rent an actual DC rack, but if you just one server and especially if you don't mind shipping it, you can put it in cheap colo somewhere.

This is most interesting if your server has hardware that typical budget dedis don't have, since otherwise the colo space costs about as much as a dedi would, besides being much more hassle.

Thanked by 1GZS
  • It depends on the location. If the NAT dedicated server is located in Asia, then yes.

• @willie said:

AnthonySmith said:

If you offer 20GB for $3 on a low grade server people will buy it for the disk alone

Yep. Wishosting has something like that and I'm tempted no matter how much space I have elsewhere.

I fully agree. I always on the lookout for cheap storage.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

@netomx said:
    Is the 5 eur a month a joke?

If it's not it means t will be a quick deadpool. Power is more expensive ;-)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @CFarence said:

@FoxelVox said:

@myhken said:

Not out of my basement, in my local town we have a small community 'datacenter' with a 4x500mbit backbone from XS4ALL.nl, with 32 ipv4 in a dedicated location. We mostly do hobby stuff out of there but it would be nice if we can earn some money to cover some costs/bills

Contacting provider currently about IPv6.

@teamacc said:
    At the very least you should include an option (with the dedi) for a full ipv4 address for additional payment.

Aside from that, create a company and get a provider tag.

We're currently working on creating a company. :)

Wish we had something like that here in PA.

Its pretty easy to startup, but you need some sort of investor or if you want to invest 10k+ on your own :)

@Clouvider said:

@netomx said:
    Is the 5 eur a month a joke?

If it's not it means t will be a quick deadpool. Power is more expensive ;-)

Im going to target the NAT VPS industry> @thagoat said:

Always interested in NAT vps. I'll buy one when you're up and running. PM me when that happens if you can =)

I will be needing some beta testers, ill contact you tomorrow when our node is up if you're interested ;)

• UPDATED TOPIC.

• ewrekewrek Member
    edited February 2017

• @FoxelVox said:

@myhken said:

Not out of my basement, in my local town...

But where's the fun if the server is not in a basement?

• @Janevski said:

@FoxelVox said:

@myhken said:

Because fuck basements =D

@ewrek said:

nice message m8

• Just curious, do you have experience in the hosting industry specifically churn and customers constantly jumping ship to chase the next shiny thing which could have chargebacks, refund requests, etc?

• @doughmanes said:
    Just curious, do you have experience in the hosting industry specifically churn and customers constantly jumping ship to chase the next shiny thing which could have chargebacks, refund requests, etc?

I have 3 years of experience in the hosting section, and i know PayPal chargebacks are the most annoying thing to deal with ever. But i like helping customers and helping setting up servers and such.

• @FoxelVox said:

@Janevski said:

@FoxelVox said:

@myhken said:

What happened to FoxelDC?

Thanked by 1joeri
  • @cassa said:

@FoxelVox said:

@Janevski said:

@FoxelVox said:

@myhken said:

What happened to FoxelDC?

Well, cas, it never existed =D

• @FoxelVox said:
    I will be needing some beta testers, ill contact you tomorrow when our node is up if you're interested ;)

Yes, absolutely. Thank you