Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Squid
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Squid

I tried making a proxy using squid but the speeds and ping are terrible. Any other alternatives I could use?

Comments

• What about 'tinyproxy' ?

• Avanteze said: but the speeds and ping are terrible

Are you sure this is happening because of squid? probably this is caused because of your vps speeds...

• @tronyx said:
    What about 'tinyproxy' ?

Does this allows authentication?

• @jvnadr said:

Avanteze said: but the speeds and ping are terrible

Are you sure this is happening because of squid? probably this is caused because of your vps speeds...

I tried linode and digitalocean....still pretty slow

• how do you even ping through squid...?

99% if you have any reasonable CPU and RAM (256MB+) Squid will work fine, albeit it is not the most resource conserving.

• I'm running an one with auth in 64mb openvz in NJ

that can push 30Mbps anytime

FYI I'm accessing from India

• Squid is a caching proxy, which is probably not precisely what you want- especially if you are constantly I/O bound due to low specs (I ran one for years on a 64MB P90 class machine with a first gen SCSI drive, and it worked well enough). You might consider a SOCKS5 proxy, which is pretty much transparent by comparison, and can be set to require USER/PASS authentication.

• Of course, OpenVPN is a much more common standard today which offers quite a bit more than just a simple HTTP proxy. :)

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited February 2017

Avanteze said: I tried linode and digitalocean....still pretty slow

Can you define slow? What are you using it for and how? DO and Linode are pretty fast providers. I use squid in much slower ones, and I get all the speed that the vps itself is giving me to tested locations/servers.
    I could not think a possible reason, squid slowing your connection, and it is one of the most lightest proxies out there. R U sure you are not doing anything weird with your configs?
    Also, as @William said, squid cannot ping by default. To ping through squid you need special configuration. Did you do that? If yes, how?

• Nyr's script is marvelous. But, because OP is rather noobie, it may fit better a simpler solution for proxy as squid3. This is a very handy script by Mark Mearns for automatic installation and configuration of squid3 as elite proxy for debian-based distros:
    http://pastebin.com/raw/QBBTzSjT

• Thanks all! I will give all suggestions a try!