Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

European VPS for $20/year? QualityServers, miniVPS won't do.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

European VPS for $20/year? QualityServers, miniVPS won't do.

LongShotLongShot Member
edited January 2012 in General

I'm losing my two European 128MB LEBs. First, QualityServers drops its VPS business. Then, miniVPS suspended my $16/year plan and told me to buy a $90/year, 512MB plan to run game servers that use only 50MB. No thanks.

Any recommendations on a European VPS for $20 or less a year? My needs are modest - minimum of 64MB RAM, 5GB disk space and 100GB/month bandwidth. Thanks!

Comments

• Throw @daimonb a message. I've enjoyed my VPS with dmbhosting.

Thanked by 1LongShot
  • jhjh Member

@Aldryic said: Throw @daimonb a message. I've enjoyed my VPS with dmbhosting.

I can second that

Thanked by 1LongShot
  • From offers section -- DMB is still running this sick 128 xen promo here

Thanked by 2djvdorp LongShot
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Aldryic said: Throw @daimonb a message. I've enjoyed my VPS with dmbhosting.

I agree too, my DMBHosting Xen is really good.

Thanked by 1LongShot
  • LongShotLongShot Member
    edited January 2012

@rkrazy: From offers section -- DMB is still running this sick 128 xen promo here

Just signed up - $15/year with instant setup, Debian 6.0 template, great ping all over Europe - thanks to all for the recommendation of DMB!

@jtodd: Sorry you are getting out of the VPS business. Thanks for your excellent service, great communication, and the professional way you have handled the phase-out! Good luck with UKCloud!

• @rkrazy any specs of that plan? 128mb xenpv? how much hdd and bw etc?

• @djvdorp said: any specs of that plan? 128mb xenpv? how much hdd and bw etc?

I've picked one up, 128MB XenPV, 256MB SWAP 5GB HDD, 250GB transfer

• Are you sure game servers are allowed on there? I;m reading their ToS/AUP and they seem very strict.

http://www.dmbhosting.co.uk/terms_and_conditions.html

Although they don't mention game server hosting.

• @drmike: Are you sure game servers are allowed on there? I;m reading their ToS/AUP and they seem very strict.

I took a look too and did not find any mention of game servers. This is an old-school Quake II-based game. Load never got above 0.7 on miniVPS, the servers were empty a lot of the time, and I was using a fraction of my monthly bandwidth. I've run this game on a dozen other VPSes with no complaint before. Not sure what miniVPS' reasoning was - their TOS only states game servers are allowed with their permission, but they told me I needed the expensive 512MB package. I hope they at least modify their TOS to let future customers know this.

Thanked by 1drmike
  • rkrazyrkrazy Member
    edited January 2012

@djvdorp - @daimonb posted in December LET offers section this offer he called it "you create the offer".

# vps specs #
    128 MB ram
    256 MB swap
    5 GB hdd
    2 cpu cores
    250 GB bandwith
    xen
    UK datacenter
    US$15 a yr (£9.45)

Agree with @drmike about DMB Hosting TOS is strict but no mention about game server not allowed. Limits to cpu burst though so pay special note to the TOS before sign-up.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2012

@drmike So, no game servers mentioned, then are allowed.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@drmike said: Are you sure game servers are allowed on there?

I'm pretty sure they do, at least Minecraft is definately allowed because I know of a client of DMBhosting that got a custom plan for Minecraft.

• gameservers are fine none of the 128mb offer left but sure we can sort something if still needed pm'ing me is best.

edited January 2012

DMB Hosting looks great so far! My game servers are using 40MB RAM and load is at 0.1. This is a much more capable server (dual core!) than the miniVPS 128MB I left behind.

The variance among $10 to $20/year servers is amazing. The $15 DMB Hosting is handling the load with ease. My $20 Hostigation servers are strong too. My $15 SpotVPS is good. On the other hand, the $15 miniVPS had to work harder, and my $10 123Systems VPS was overwhelmed.

Maybe I should use these servers as a real-world test of LEBs in a series of reviews!

• You got the 64MB one @LongShot?

edited January 2012

@yomero: You got the 64MB one?

All my VPSes are 128MB base (less is more!). The 123Systems has 0 burst, the Hostigations and SpotVPS have 128 burst, and the DMB has 256 swap (it's Xen).

• Good to hear the results you are getting from the different providers. The CPU share seems to be one of the more mysterious things when it comes to VPS. I wish it was clearer what exactly providers are willing to let you do (as clear as RAM allotments lets say) Some come right out and say that you are getting X amount of mhz and then some others seem to let you pound away full blast on multiple cores without issue.

edited January 2012

@JoeMerit: some others seem to let you pound away full blast on multiple cores without issue.

And that can be bittersweet too. I had one VPS were my servers ground to a halt at midnight (a popular time for gaming). The provider was graphing my node's performance - the load was 30! The provider explained that everybody else was running cron backups at midnight, and that each user was allowed to access the CPUs "as much as the laws of physics allowed." Next provider, please.

• I personally recommend EDIS. They have very fast VPSes, excellent support and cheap prices. Althrough their servers have small amount of disc space.

• @xenu said: I personally recommend EDIS. They have very fast VPSes, excellent support and cheap prices. Althrough their servers have small amount of disc space.

I second that, edis is great.