Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can a host sell 1x dedicated core for $6.99 on a E3v5 system and make profit? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can a host sell 1x dedicated core for $6.99 on a E3v5 system and make profit?

13»

Comments

• YuraYura Member
    edited February 2017

@AnthonySmith, thank you. I still have zero clue what that could mean in real world, but you helped me realize the reason why some people go for dedicated servers instead of even beefy VPS.

Simply to avoid mind bending mental gymnastics when dealing with this wanky marketing style of legalise shiiite every other provider is coming up with. Your company is called Inception, you can figure that out, no problem. I don't know, maybe you can even call Di Caprio and he will make a sequal for Inception but with VPS Terms of Service and Acceptable Use Policies instead. Success guaranteed. Im a simple cat. I find sitting on a keyboard and watching YouTube much more interesting than calculating a choice between Provider X with 4 cores and 50% limit over 2 hours and Provider Y with "1 full half core of HT thread". Am I gonna kicked out for an activity spike or the server I bought will crawl like a drugged old turtle? Thanks God, none of them are ever oversold! (or so I've been told).

Am I only one feeling that the current state of hosting landscape is frustrating for everyone involved? Providers try to survive in a cutthroat competition on thin margins and clients are tired and suspicious of all the crap that is going on on a technical, financial and marketing levels.

Honestly, I'm rooting for all of you, small independent good guys. World is better with you putting up a competition with huge behemoth companies. But let's cut some bullshit already.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

What was it Nick from HVH/CC said when he got caught telling lies? "I never said how much of a dedicated core you were getting" haha, brilliant.

6 year old child in trouble logic.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    What was it Nick from HVH/CC said when he got caught telling lies? "I never said how much of a dedicated core you were getting" haha, brilliant.

6 year old child in trouble logic.

Same as this...

Nick said: No core speed was advertised and they are vCPU's

When confronted about the E3's cores locked @ 850Mz (Now resolved)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

FredQc said: When confronted about the E3's cores locked @ 850Mz (Now resolved)

Yes, but he lied about it and got away with it, he said he was using solusvm defaults which would not have resulted in what you got, you were deliberately limited through choice.

Even then he only fixed it for 'you' they are still getting away with it for everyone else.

If you keep giving people like that money, you are part of the problem.

Thanked by 2WSS Yura
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited February 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

FredQc said: When confronted about the E3's cores locked @ 850Mz (Now resolved)

Yes, but he lied about it and got away with it, he said he was using solusvm defaults which would not have resulted in what you got, you were deliberately limited through choice.

Even then he only fixed it for 'you' they are still getting away with it for everyone else.

If you keep giving people like that money, you are part of the problem.

Sometimes you gotta do something on principle. (No refund was offered, or requested.)

Thanked by 3Nekki Yura AnthonySmith
  • @WSS - while I admire your stand, I beg to differ. In this particular instance (@AnthonySmith and @FredQc discussion), the provider misled the buyer/consumer on what was delivered vs what was "advertised" (or promised - not nitpicking on terminology here). Granted that there are many folks who may not be "technically" savvy to verify (via benchmarks or whatever) that what is being provided is "sub par" from what it should be. Nevertheless on PRINCIPLE the provider has mis-delivered what was supposed to be delivered and that needs to be corrected.

I am NOT accusing the provider of doing this intentionally - it could very well be (for whatever reason) that some values were incorrectly setup and it wasn't noticed (because no one complained and so the assumption was that all is well).

In my opinion, a "good" provider should, on being alerted to this issue, make amends immediately TO ALL AFFECTED CONSUMERS and potentially also provide an apology/email on what had happened and how it was fixed etc. Extra credit to the provider for providing a service credit or a good will extra month of (free) service (or whatever).

This is how companies (across industries) build a loyal following - for doing the "right" thing (and beyond) without a lawsuit etc.

As someone in the know (since you, like @FredQc) are in the "know" that something is amiss, you should stand up to the provider to provide the quality promised.

Just cancelling the service (without any further comment, restitution etc.) will just "feed" this bad behaviour and affect other not-so-capable-average-folks who (IMHO) shouldn't be taken for a ride.

My $0.02.

Thanked by 2Yura exception0x876
  • I may be reading this wrong, but I don't see a substantive difference between @MSPNick's "dedicated core" KVMs and @Francisco's KVM slices, in terms of CPU usage policy.

Both are advertised using the word "dedicated", and in both cases the lower-end options are fair-share CPU, and the more expensive options (starting at £10/mo for MSP and starting at $15/mo for BuyVM) are true dedicated core. I think the offerings are pretty clear to me. The lower-end options are similar to standard VPS: memory and disk are dedicated, CPU is fair-share. It's only on the higher-end options that you can hammer the CPU 24/7 at full speed.

We had a discussion a while ago about whether dedicated-core VPS like Francisco's "slices" would be an increasingly popular direction for the industry to go in; this simply seems to be validating that.

Just my 2¢; I don't have any vested interest, and I haven't tried any of these dedicated-core VPSes.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @seanho yea, but it's a false advertising when a host use a sale pitch that include Dedicated core and mention the CPU name. Like in the tread I linked to in my first post.

• @nullnothere said:
    @WSS - while I admire your stand, I beg to differ. In this particular instance (@AnthonySmith and @FredQc discussion), the provider misled the buyer/consumer on what was delivered vs what was "advertised" (or promised - not nitpicking on terminology here). Granted that there are many folks who may not be "technically" savvy to verify (via benchmarks or whatever) that what is being provided is "sub par" from what it should be. Nevertheless on PRINCIPLE the provider has mis-delivered what was supposed to be delivered and that needs to be corrected.

If I have to second guess the delivery for items which I believe I have paid for to be delivered, then I am doing business with the wrong party.

• seanho said: I think the offerings are pretty clear to me. The lower-end options are similar to standard VPS: memory and disk are dedicated, CPU is fair-share. It's only on the higher-end options that you can hammer the CPU 24/7 at full speed.

That's what it looked like to me too. The issue of the cpus running at 800mhz wasn't good, but that sounded like a fixable error. Did I miss something?

• @WSS said:
    If I have to second guess the delivery for items which I believe I have paid for to be delivered, then I am doing business with the wrong party.

Yes - but not standing up to your rights in this case (and just silently giving up/cancelling the contract with no refund) just lets the provider get away continue for even longer to perpetrate said nonsense which I think shouldn't happen.

You essentially "donated $69.00" to this provider. I would much rather have YOU be around WITH some toys VPS's than a provider with such tactics.

Think of your Grandmother - you owe it to her and you've made enough sacrifices that you don't need to be charitable any more (esp. to unworthy netizens). (And yes, please continue to preserve the great charitable spirit you have, but only to deserving folks please!).

Thanks.

• I see, in the LET offer thread linked at the top of this thread, it says dedicated core even for the low end plan. But the actual offer page

https://www.myserverplanet.com/dedicated-core-kvm.php

says dedicated core is only for the larger plans. Yes the discrepancy is annoying, but afaict this is more in the "be careful about that next time" category than "ZOMG FRAUD". The order page, unless I missed something, accurately says what the product was.

• WSSWSS Member
    edited February 2017

@nullnothere said:
    Yes - but not standing up to your rights in this case (and just silently giving up/cancelling the contract with no refund) just lets the provider get away continue for even longer to perpetrate said nonsense which I think shouldn't happen.

I was running my personal domain and associated business information on that VPS.

I no longer wanted my trusted data to be there, and by deciding to cut it off then, I was then guaranteed not to be passive and allow them the grace of forgiveness through forgetfulness. As I felt that I no longer entrusted them with that data, I certainly wouldn't want to give the services to someone else. They've lost more than my trust and $70 in the long run.

@willie said:
    I see, in the LET offer thread linked at the top of this thread, it says dedicated core even for the low end plan. But the actual offer page

says dedicated core is only for the larger plans. Yes the discrepancy is annoying, but afaict this is more in the "be careful about that next time" category than "ZOMG FRAUD". The order page, unless I missed something, accurately says what the product was.

It says "Fair Share CPU Use", which in no place on their site mentions "You'll be limited to SolusVM defaults", which for this specific instance was 25%. So, you're highlighting the fact that either they were willingly masking this information, or completely inept- neither of which falls under any domain I hold for "Let's keep important things on this".

Also, you seem to be more interested in defending this mishap more than anyone who was involved on either side.

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

WSS said: "You'll be limited to SolusVM defaults", which for this specific instance was 25%

Oh ok, I missed or forgot that. It had sounded like a screwup involving SpeedStep or so. If it was intentional then that's bad.

I'm paranoid about putting anything private or sensitive on VPS's of any sort, not just from the hosts but because of other VM's on the same machine. I do anything sensitive on dedis. I like the 3 euro/month Scaleway ARM dedis partly for that reason.

• @willie said:

WSS said: "You'll be limited to SolusVM defaults", which for this specific instance was 25%

Oh ok, I missed or forgot that. It had sounded like a screwup involving SpeedStep or so. If it was intentional then that's bad.

They're claiming it's not.

@willie said:
    I'm paranoid about putting anything private or sensitive on VPS's of any sort, not just from the hosts but because of other VM's on the same machine. I do anything sensitive on dedis. I like the 3 euro/month Scaleway ARM dedis partly for that reason.

There was nothing on there but a personal domain/website and a couple business related websites. At no point did it have proprietary or confidential information. I just didn't trust them to be there any longer.

• @WSS said:

@willie said:
    I see, in the LET offer thread linked at the top of this thread, it says dedicated core even for the low end plan. But the actual offer page

It says "Fair Share CPU Use", which in no place on their site mentions "You'll be limited to SolusVM defaults", which for this specific instance was 25%. So, you're highlighting the fact that either they were willingly masking this information, or completely inept- neither of which falls under any domain I hold for "Let's keep important things on this".

Also, you seem to be more interested in defending this mishap more than anyone who was involved on either side.

I think you're confusing a LEB (CC-based) offer with a LET offer (MSP-based) here...

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2017

New Terminology - Hardware Speed Dedicated Core vs Hardware Speed Dedicated Thread vs You can use as much as you really like. There we go market your way around that (ok, someone will).

But seriously, I would take [more] burstable resources from a reputable provider any day of the week. Why? Most applications don't run at 100% all of the time. I'd rather be able to get 150% out of a server when I need it, than have to purchase 50% more servers.

Unfortunately with great power comes great responsibility and too few providers are trustworthy enough to be given this power....

• @teamacc said:

@WSS said:

@willie said:

I think you're confusing a LEB (CC-based) offer with a LET offer (MSP-based) here...

I didn't even notice that it wasn't HVH mentioned above. I've spent the last two prior days driving.