Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommend me a cheap DDoS protected VPS host
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommend me a cheap DDoS protected VPS host

Currently I am using https://www.vultr.com/ for hosting. It's been really good in terms of performance per dollar but apparently it can't withstand heavy DDoS. That led me to looking for an alternative VPS host with a similar performance per dollar that provides servers equipped with DDoS protection. So far I've found these:

Please tell if you've got experiences with any of the above or if you know of a reliable alternative with a good DDoS protection.

Comments

• In the offer section you can find a lot of suppliers with DDoS, but i haven´t tested it yet ( the protection)

you should tell us how much DDoS protection do you need, and what type of game or site are you trying to protect.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Just make sure you talk to whoever you plan to use in advance, many 'VPS Hosts' have DDOS protection in place for the greater good to stop 'everyone' from being disrupted but will not harbor constant targets (sounds like you might be).

Best looking for hosts that charge extra for mitigation such as BuyVM/Ramnode, then you are protected.

• quadhostquadhost Member
    edited February 2017

We offer instances protected by NTT (GB), OVH (CA/FR), Worldstream (NL) or Hetzner (DE) for example in the EU.

• @dedicados said:
    In the offer section you can find a lot of suppliers with DDoS, but i haven´t tested it yet ( the protection)

you should tell us how much DDoS protection do you need, and what type of game or site are you trying to protect.

I'm trying to protect a Garry's Mod server running in port 27015 in case that makes a difference. I don't know exactly how much protection I need but probably around 100 Gbps or so as the party sending the attacks comes from another gaming community and likely doesn't have a botnet of their own.

I've been browsing this and different boards but many of the discussions I've dug up are old. I'd like fresh information based on experiences to be sure what I'm getting as right now the protection is pretty crucial.

• WickedWicked Member
    edited February 2017

I have tried all the hosts you mentioned but I always find my way back to OVH and their DDoS Protection. I run a pretty big game server and OVH has always blocked all attacks.

• @Wicked said:
    I have tried all the hosts you mentioned but I always find my way back to OVH and their DDoS Protection. I run a pretty big game server and OVH has always blocked all attacks.

Googling OVH brings up so many different results I still haven't figured which exact provider is being referred to when mentioning their name. Could you clarify?

What kind of plans do they provide and is the DDoS protection included in the prices?

• WickedWicked Member
    edited February 2017

@Mkekala said:

@Wicked said:

Googling OVH brings up so many different results I still haven't figured which exact provider is being referred to when mentioning their name. Could you clarify?

What kind of plans do they provide and is the DDoS protection included in the prices?

What country are you from? You should check https://www.ovh.ie/vps/. DDoS Protection is included for free with all their products and is unlimited.

Thanked by 1Mkekala
  • @Wicked said:

@Mkekala said:

@Wicked said:

What country are you from? You should check https://www.ovh.ie/vps/. DDoS Protection is included for free with all their products and is unlimited.

Are the VPS SSD servers truly that cheap with no hidden costs or limitations? Are the resources fully dedicated to your own use? And do you know how heavy DDoS they can withstand?

Vultr's prices look very high after seeing those.

• We offer DDoS Protection using Zare as our data centre, its 100Gbps, and yes they will allow you to test it if you contact them, some of our clients run fairly big CS:GO servers and as you can imagine they get hit a lot but they don't get any lag or downtime.

I would, however, recommend @zare if you are looking for a long standing company.

• @Mkekala said:

@Wicked said:

@Mkekala said:

@Wicked said:

Are the VPS SSD servers truly that cheap with no hidden costs or limitations? Are the resources fully dedicated to your own use? And do you know how heavy DDoS they can withstand?

Vultr's prices look very high after seeing those.

OVH is dedicated resources yes, and ovh claim to have 300Gbps+ however one thing I found with their system is that its so commonly used that booters tend to find ways past it.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@Mkekala said:
    Are the resources fully dedicated to your own use?

With VPS resources can't be fully dedicated unless there is only one VPS on the host node.

• @piohost said:
    We offer DDoS Protection using Zare as our data centre, its 100Gbps, and yes they will allow you to test it if you contact them, some of our clients run fairly big CS:GO servers and as you can imagine they get hit a lot but they don't get any lag or downtime.

I would, however, recommend @zare if you are looking for a long standing company.

I don't have the tools required to test it, I am merely a target. My main concern is the lack of customers' reviews so I'm not absolutely sure if I want to go with those or not.

• @exception0x876 said:

@Mkekala said:

With VPS resources can't be fully dedicated unless there is only one VPS on the host node.

With dedicated I mean that the resources actually exist and are reserved for you instead of being pooled with a group of customers possibly leading to the servers being overloaded.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Mkekala said: With dedicated I mean that the resources actually exist and are reserved for you instead of being pooled with a group of customers possibly leading to the servers being overloaded.

In this meaning I believe RAM and Disk are reserved, while CPU and Network are shared.

• @Mkekala said:

@exception0x876 said:

@Mkekala said:

With dedicated I mean that the resources actually exist and are reserved for you instead of being pooled with a group of customers possibly leading to the servers being overloaded.

With OVH, you dont need to worry about such things. You will get what they advertise and you pay for.

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited February 2017

@Mkekala said:

Hi, i have very big experience with receiving ddos attacks against my services, and i have tried maybe all low-end providers introduced here at LET, and what i can say you about mentioed by you providers.

Zare

Voxility DDoS Protection. I hate Voxility Network. All providers which uses Voxility networks has the same issues: packetloss, high latency, issues with bypassing Voxility network. Each provider in any region has the same issues with this AntiDDoS Protection, no exceptions. Do not listen anyone else who will lie to you that Voxility network is stable, it's not, it's very big piece of shit (because of constant issues / packetloss / disconects) in any of their POP's. What about Voxility protection, hmm, depends what do you want to protect, if you wish to protect UDP-based apps -> you will fail. If you wish protect TCP-based apps, you will have a lot of disconects due attacks to your services. This is related to Zare, BlazingFast, BuyVM, etc providers with this network.

Q: Is this network can tank large and stupid attacks and absorb them?
    A: Yes, but some minimal traffic will bypass filters.

Q: Is Voxility can protect out the box L3-L7?
    A: No, it can't, and require extra help from provider for attack mitigation.

Q: Is it possible to bypass any Voxility network?
    A: Yes, but not all booters can do that shit for now

Q: Is possible Voxility network use for webhosting?
    A: yes, it's ideal for webhosting with extra rules from Provider against L7 attacks.

Q: Will you recommend to use it for game-servers (tcp-based)?
    A: Strongly no, network lags even without attacks, time to time different players from the same region can experience pretty smooth performance and network, and at the same time huge amount of players will have ton's of lags. I can't recommend Voxility as only one protection (out the box) without any extra filters from provider side for game-server. (based on my very big experience since 2013 up to now)

Conclusion: i've been zare client in early 2016, maybe something has been changed in 2017, i don't know, but i have moved out because like always -> weak voxility network, constant issues with network. I can't remember pass from my account with screens of MTR stats, but you can try to mtr at Saturday / Sunday any of IP in their pool to understand "what is voxility". Please dera Zare, do not think that i have something against you, i just saying facts that Voxility network not good, and providers which uses this network mostly in 99% cases for me, my friends, and co-workeds has the same issues.

BlazingFast.io

This guys uses Voxility + NFO protection. Voxility to filter large volumetric attacks, and NFO for tcp-based or bypassed though voxility flood + their own custom filters.

Q: Is it better then just pure Voxility network?
    A: yes it is, but it has the same issues like Voxility has -> lags, dc, packetloss, in my own experience with BlazingFast i have received in 2 times less network issues then with any other network which uses Voxility.

This guys (blazingfast) several times had saved my ass when i have no free money for normal anti-ddos solution (about which i will tell below). They tank attacks much better then any knowed and tested by me in real production provider with voxility antiddos network enabled (in force mode + custom filters). I had only 1 attack in my experience which bypass all of their filters and take down my VPS at them, but VPS after few minutes returned back, and support said that they applied extra rules to protect my VPS.

I have used their L7 ddos protection too. It's like cloudflare do, or any other provider do.
    If you have no money, go to these guys, and you will be protected for 5 euro against middle attacks, even L7 flood, and not really large UDP / NTP / tcp-based attacks too.

Conclusion: if you have no choise and you need not good, but not bad protection go to blazingfast, it's not will cover all your headcache by filtering all attacks, but they will do it much better then any other provider with Voxility protection (i'm talk about 2016 year, i do not know how it's right now in 2017, because i have no ddos yet in 2017).

What about server performance -> i like BlazingFast much more then Zare, because of speed.

KMS-Hosting

This guys my favorite one. No, seriosly, i like how they work. No issues with network, no issues with hardware, pretty cheap prices. They warn few weeks before do some work(!), they have nice control panel. Their ddos protection were work for me for L3-L4 only few times, and i have not tried yet L7 one (but they have this feature too). And what i can to say? No attack's bypassed them (yet), i do not know how big attacks were, but KMS-Hosting surprice me very well. I can recommend them. Maybe someone know better about these guys.

and finnaly: x4b.net, if you need protection which will work while you sleep, you should give to these guys chance. It's not cheap like other providers here, it's pretty time to time to configure, but i have 0 (ZERO) downtimes for my website whhen i have used these guys to protect my sites. What about support, i have few issues with them, they are not always friendly, but it's another question. If you have money for buying their services, and you care about your clients, and you wish to sleep well -> go to x4b. These guys tanked to me 40-100gbit/s easly. No downtimes from VERY aggressive ddos attackers against my resources while i have been protected by x4b, i saw 14 DAYS non stop ddos attacks against my resource in control panel logs. Hackers tried to attack via many different methods, and NO, nothing, they failed. I do not know, maybe someone else have bad experience with x4b, but personally me will always recommend x4b, while they protecting websites like they did to me. I have impressed. Because i have used ddos-guard.net for example (it's very pricely protection, and very shitty for such big price), and i have used different other providers, and i have some vision what is better, what is worst, and x4g in my top list #1 when you need to protect website.

• Ovh uses big clusters for their vps. CPU isn't throttled and can be maxed 24/7. Disk is throttled. Network is 100mbps unlimited.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited February 2017

Voxility for websites, databases and application servers.. OVH for gameservers.

If you want to try OVH. be sure to have OVH Game.

Following providers offer OVH game:

ExtraVM
    c38.host
    dedishops

ExtraVM only has OpenVZ for OVH Game
    c38 only has KVM for OVH Game
    Dedishops only has KVM for OVH Game

If you intent to protect port 27015 there is nothing better than OVH Game Anti-DDoS.

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider

@desperand said:

KMS-Hosting

This guys my favorite one. No, seriosly, i like how they work. No issues with network, no issues with hardware, pretty cheap prices. They warn few weeks before do some work(!), they have nice control panel. Their ddos protection were work for me for L3-L4 only few times, and i have not tried yet L7 one (but they have this feature too). And what i can to say? No attack's bypassed them (yet), i do not know how big attacks were, but KMS-Hosting surprice me very well. I can recommend them. Maybe someone know better about these guys.

Thanks for the very positive feedback! :-)

We should be easily able to handle your ddos attacks, as we have multiple filtration layers which are built by ourself and rely on the knowledge of thousands attacks per month.

If you have questions regarding our ddos protection, feel free to ask ;)

• PioHostPioHost Member
    edited February 2017

@desperand You are mistaken, @zare no longer use Voxility they dropped that and now they own there own protection system, they use corero smartwalls

EDIT:

Mtr to a vps on my network using zare protection

• MrKaruppuMrKaruppu Member
    edited February 2017

tr1cky said: Network is 100mbps unlimited.

OVH VPSs are not truly unlimited. They will throttle you after consuming 10 TB. TOS says,

2.8 The Supplier will guarantee the bandwidth of the VPS up to 100 Mbps as long as the
    traffic of the bandwidth does not exceed the pre-defined set monthly volume of 10TB. This
    monthly volume includes both intra-OVH traffic and traffic outside of the OVH network.

2.9 When the monthly traffic volume exceeds the set monthly volume, the bandwidth of the
    VPS will be limited to 1 Mbps until the next monthly renewal date.

• MrKaruppu said: does not exceed the pre-defined set monthly volume of 10TB.

I think that for Ovh's older vps range as i have used more than 10Tb a month before on a Ovh vps and didn't get limited.

• @Razza said:

MrKaruppu said: does not exceed the pre-defined set monthly volume of 10TB.

I think that for Ovh's older vps range as i have used more than 10Tb a month before on a Ovh vps and didn't get limited.

Could be possible, The ToS document might be old. But they show up the same ToS while buying for the VPS.