Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net DBaaS beta ended, available as new service named ODS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net DBaaS beta ended, available as new service named ODS

Just received below mail from Online.net. Pricing is good if you have lots of DB with fewer data. For me personally, it's good

Hi there, 

The free beta period of Online DBaaS is ending today. Starting today, Online DBaaS is ready to host your databases under the ODS brand! 
All the ODS pricing details are available on the [ODS product page](https://www.online.net/en/ods) and new ODS new orders will start to be billed. 

For the past months, we have got hundreds of requests from our community that led us to do major changes to build the best database as a service platform! 

We want to thank you and all our early adopters, it has been amazing to see so many testers! 

To thank you, we extended your active ODS instance for free until February 29. 

If you want to stop the auto-renewal of your ODS beta instance on March 1st, please contact our assistance that will be happy to assist you. 

The Online Team

Comments

• niknik Member, Host Rep

Without Postgres, without me.

Thanked by 1WSS
  • As I understand its a single node with daily backups? No multi-az? No hourly backups at least?

Doesn't sound very reliable yet

Thanked by 1emdad
  • @nik

Multiple databases

ODS supports multiple open source databases. Deploy and run your MySQL, PostgreSQL and MariaDB databases in one and unique place.

• @nik said:
    Without Postgres, without me.

ODS supports multiple open source databases. Deploy and run your MySQL, PostgreSQL and MariaDB databases in one and unique place.

• nik said: Without Postgres, without me.

They've added Postgres 9.4/9.5/9.6.

jimaek said: As I understand its a single node with daily backups? No multi-az? No hourly backups at least?

They mention DC2 and DC3, but nothing about replication or any kind of link between the two (I don't think would count as different "az" anyway, due to proximity.)

• @jimaek said:
    As I understand its a single node with daily backups? No multi-az? No hourly backups at least?

Doesn't sound very reliable yet

yea, for DB's changing rapidly, it ain't. For usage like, wordpress site with one/two post a day, it's ok I guess.

• Well pricing sounds kinda expensive for me, I expected something cheaper.

Do you know what are the "dedicated cores"? C2750?

• @datanoise said:
    Well pricing sounds kinda expensive for me, I expected something cheaper.

Prices are too high right now in my opinion too.

This reminds me of Scaleway at start (aka Online Labs), when price was high for their ARM servers; and... a few months later prices received a huge drop. I think the same thing will happen to Online Database Service (Online DBaaS) in a few months.

Thanked by 2WSS yomero
  • I never was able to configure my free service. Until today, tried again and worked, lol.

So, cancelling now.

• I have the free beta and it works for me.

• @yomero said:
    I never was able to configure my free service. Until today, tried again and worked, lol.

So, cancelling now.

I can't be sure, but I think there needs to be an active service for creating DB in beta... I had one for months, but got it working only after I picked a special deal server

• It took a few days for my dbaas to be activated after I requested it. I haven't done much with it yet. Had planned to do more testing soon but guess I'll cancel at the end of the free month.

• @emdad said:

@yomero said:
    I never was able to configure my free service. Until today, tried again and worked, lol.

So, cancelling now.

I can't be sure, but I think there needs to be an active service for creating DB in beta... I had one for months, but got it working only after I picked a special deal server

You might be onto something- I'm a leech and never got it working, either. Terminated.

• @datanoise said:
    Well pricing sounds kinda expensive for me, I expected something cheaper.

Power 8

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • at least onlines is fast, ovh's MySQL DBaaS is so so so so so slow and had downtime once for like a day while I was using it back in it's early stages

• @WSS said:

@emdad said:

@yomero said:

So, cancelling now.

You might be onto something- I'm a leech and never got it working, either. Terminated.

Yep, probably this happened. I got one of the specials the other day.