Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interview with author of nginx
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Interview with author of nginx

NickMNickM Member
edited January 2012 in General

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/interview_igor_sysoev_author_apaches_competitor_nginx

I figured most people here would be interested in seeing this, since nginx is the web server of choice for LEBs.

Comments

• +1 thanks.

I'm always iffy when I hear that an Open Sourced project is going commercial. The few that I deal with, seems like they're now programing for two separate types of customers and the community clients (over the commercial clients) get left behind or don't get the full benefit of what's going on.

Thanked by 1Joel
  • Some open-source projects that have gone commercial have become successful, e.g. OS X, and the same will end up happening to Ubuntu.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • @Daniel said: e.g. OS X

OS X itself is not open source, Darwin itself is open source. OSX-GUI is built on Quartz Composer and itself is not open source.

@Daniel said: the same will end up happening to Ubuntu.

Unity on Ubuntu is built on the back of gnome and is open source, I can't see them moving in that direction at all. The fact that they are partnered with the likes of LibreOffice (The Document Foundation) instead of plugging in their own optional purchasable add on is an indicator as well.

I have a hell of a lot of respect for Canocial and what they have been able to do with Ubuntu, their track record may not be flawless, but they've done more good than evil in today's world.

@NickM said: I figured most people here would be interested in seeing this, since nginx is the web server of choice for LEBs.

Thanks for sharing Nick, good read. Slightly alarming at times when you look at some of the wording, but realistically I think for anyone using it at a LEB level there's always going to be enough features packed in there. If you stumble on something that needs a commercial addon you're probably at a level whereby you can afford it and probably need the support. Projects have to be viable, i'll take a commercial open source project over a closed code proprietary system if the situation allows and the packages are comparable.

I also believe that in the next few years we are going to see more variants than just your main lighttpd, apache, nginx etc. The web is driving more and more desktop applications, they're being ported to the web, in that sense I think theres untapped areas to look at more focused on serving cloud app based applications, opposed to web app based applications.

Regards,

Joel

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited January 2012

@Joel said: Unity on Ubuntu is built on the back of gnome and is open source, I can't see them moving in that direction at all. The fact that they are partnered with the likes of LibreOffice (The Document Foundation) instead of plugging in their own optional purchasable add on is an indicator as well.

Ubuntu's business tools aren't open-source.

Darwin is open-source, but its not the only part of OS X that is, http://opensource.apple.com/

• @Daniel said: Unity doesn't use GNOME, it uses Compiz

Have you look at Gnome then looked at Unity on a Ubuntu install? You can't for a second say the two aren't bloody closely related. Unity was built on the back of Gnome, and Unity is open source. They certainly won't go the OSX route.

@Daniel said: but its not the only part of OS X that is, http://opensource.apple.com/

I actually avoided posting that link as it is a bastardised setup on that page, outside of WebKit there's a lot in there that at point of publication needs a good review. Lion also made some changes to what packages are now included.

• Offtopic, I am still able to get the Developer tools in macos for free? Because I need to do something in a mac with fortran and c...

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited January 2012

@Joel said: Have you look at Gnome then looked at Unity on a Ubuntu install? You can't for a second say the two aren't bloody closely related. Unity was built on the back of Gnome, and Unity is open source. They certainly won't go the OSX route.

I actually updated it around 10 seconds after being posted, always thought Ubuntu got rid of GNOME.

Anyway, going back on topic. I'm looking forward to the loadable modules in NGINX, the fact that its currently a bit of a pain when wanting to setup it to forward PHP request to fpm/cgi is annoying, where apache you just have to load mod_php.

• @drmike said: the community clients (over the commercial clients) get left behind or don't get the full benefit of what's going on.

Slightly offtopic, but amusing to note that Google is the exact opposite. Paying Apps users are typically the last ones to be let in to a party; though one could say that Google prefers to beta-test on the free users first before releasing the polished product to the paying clients.

• Engine-X for the win :)

• En-Jinx FTW!

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

• I say it as en-jinx, despite I know it's wrong.

But it sounds cooler!