Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr Double-Deposit Promo is Back! (new accounts only) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr Double-Deposit Promo is Back! (new accounts only)

2»

Comments

• WSS said: NetFlix, Amazon Prime, and Google Play.

Do they have the customer churn problems that places like Vultr do?

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • @willie said:

WSS said: NetFlix, Amazon Prime, and Google Play.

Do they have the customer churn problems that places like Vultr do?

Hard to say- I've never been the sort of bloke who says "Gee, Vultr, I bet they're wonderful- just consider the name!" Netflix, however, has lost quite a few clients, and not too many people are paying GPlay for what is available elsewhere for same/lesser prices- from what I've heard.

• BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited February 2017

@WSS, Netflix and Vultr are different industries so they don't exactly share the same methods for customer retention. I see Netflix as retaining their current customer base by ensuring that they keep their media offerings current, and their pricing is acceptable. They don't simply sit on their a$$es and be like "ok, we can chill now cos the customers have $x thousand movies to watch".

Remember that we're talking about customer retention which is very different to (new) customer growth.

Linode both grows+retains by adjusting their prices/specs in accordance to hardware becoming cheaper. As previously mentioned, they've also done some nice gestures to existing customers.

Although more expensive when comparing on-demand prices with Vultr, AWS also attempts to retain existing customer base by lowering their prices accordingly.

While it could also be argued that both Vultr & Netflix grow their customer base (and retain existing customers) by making their offerings available in new territories, the argument becomes a weaker one when using it solely to compare Vultr to its peers (in terms of retention).

Functionality between the Vultr/DO/clones is fairly similar, so when last Vultr did something for their existing customer accounts?!? Heck, I'm sure a ton of existing customers would even jump at a deposit discount of 10%. Either way, it's a "we didn't forget about you existing customers that supported us all this time" gesture.

With smaller LET companies, I've notice a fairly big trend to treat existing customers differently. Some LET providers release new offerings/stock to existing customers first before making it known to potentially new customers, while some other LET providers only release certain offerings/stock/discount-codes to existing customers.

To conclude, I'm a fairly big user (by my own standards I guess) of Vultr and have no complaints about their service. My gripe is simply that if you (as a provider) forget about your existing customers and treat them simply as 'just another number', then don't be surprised when your existing customers forget you and treat you as 'just another number' on their provider list. Like many other LEB-addicts, my provider list is very very long but my project list is finite. It isn't rare for me to grab new boxes simply because a provider (thought about their existing customers and) sent me a special/discount notification email and I thought "actually, that product could prove useful in the next $x weeks".

• @BeardyUnixGuy

@BeardyUnixGuy said:
    @WSS, Netflix and Vultr are different industries so they don't exactly share the same methods for customer retention. I see Netflix as retaining their current customer base by ensuring that they keep their media offerings current, and their pricing is acceptable. They don't simply sit on their a$$es and be like "ok, we can chill now cos the customers have $x thousand movies to watch".

Evidently you aren't familiar with their current marketing..

That said, I do have a provider I just cut loose because I've been paying them the same amount for the same specs since 2001. It just didn't make sense anymore.

I can understand the Vultr is doing what they can to attract new customers, but the idea that they're not doing anything to retain their current base (when it was stated that they had one or two specials last year) is just asinine.

So, yeah, don't forget your customer, but you, as a customer, still need to be aware of any unadvertised specials they may have- it's not up to them to tell you when you can get the same service for a lesser price.

• WSS said: the idea that they're not doing anything to retain their current base (when it was stated that they had one or two specials last year) is just asinine

Did they have some specials for existing customers? Am I eligible? I'm guessing they do these promos with some internal metrics for signups and haven't figured out the add-on effects. I saw the promo, didn't have an immediate use for the product but did the signup anyway so I could use it later. So they got their internal points for the signup, but at the same time I never got the benefit of the promo and am ineligible for future ones. So they never booked any revenue from my signup, which was presumably the actual point of the promo. I'm not upset, it's not my problem, just pointing out that their promo didn't work too well in my case which I suspect is pretty common.

• BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited February 2017

WSS said: when it was stated that they had one or two specials last year

Please could give a reference to these specials for existing customers?

Thus far, there was only one comment where the poster stated that "He believes" that there was a discount. My own duckdukgo-fu failed to locate any such promo.

WSS said: but you, as a customer, still need to be aware of any unadvertised specials they may have

I agree with this but think it would have been better for your to provide some references before throwing around words like "asinine".

UPDATE: I do see a "We’ve Added More Cores to Our 4GB and 8GB Plans" news item but still no discount/promo to existing customers.

• https://mobile.twitter.com/vultr/status/740564552614453248

Believe this is still valid for existing customers..

• I also looked up "existing vultr customer" and got the same link to

soo..

@BeardyUnixGuy said:

WSS said: when it was stated that they > I agree with this but think it would have been better for your to provide some references before throwing around words like "asinine".

How about asinihole?

• Hello, Can I really use both offers in the same time, I mean the 50$ trial + the match up offer ?

• manlivo said:

Hello, Can I really use both offers in the same time, I mean the 50$ trial + the match up offer ?

Try it and let us know.

• @willie said:
    Try it and let us know.

I already have an account. That's the question from my friend.

• Oh, you're asking for a friend. Of course we can help. ;)

Thanked by 1manlivo
  • williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

Ok, it looks like there are some better promos going on too. https://vultrcoupons.com/ (must be some kind of affiliate splog) has a bunch of info:

• $20 credit for 1 month using coupon SSDVPS
    • 50 GB free block storage trial (length unspecified) in NY/NJ location
    • Roided up affiliate links: person using your link and spending $10 gets $20 in credit and you get $30 (not sure if that's cash or credit)

I was able to activate the $20 credit even though my account is >1 year old, so I have a VPS running now. I picked the $5 plan (at the Silicon Valley location) even though the $20 has to be used in 30 days (shrug). I haven't paid them any money of my own yet, which is how any trial should work, though I had to link my credit card to the account.

I'm apparently not eligible for the double deposit or the 20% off since I used the $20 credit and you can only use 1 of the 3. But of course I liked the one with $0 immediate expenditure best ;).

/proc/cpuinfo indicates that the vm is running at 2.4 ghz, and openssl speed rsa1024 gives results about 65% of the speed of my 3.4GHz E3, which is what the frequency ratio would predict. So it sounds like the Vultr CPU core that I'm on is not loaded. I did the test a couple of times with the same results. I might do geekbench tomorrow if anyone cares. Might also try on some of the bigger instances since I've got $20 to burn in 1 month ;).

Their control panel is too cutesy and javascript-y for my tastes, and I don't like the sideways scrolling, but its functionality is nice, much better than Solus imho. I don't understand why it's considered hard to write something like this, especially with just one virtualization type. But I've never done it myself.

Not much else to add for now.

• ewrekewrek Member
    edited February 2017

Link for $20 start bonus: http://www.vultr.com/?ref=7109750-3B you can add the code for $20 (SSDVPS)later to get $40!