Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net Dedi CPU temperature goes up to 90°C
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net Dedi CPU temperature goes up to 90°C

So i grabbed one of the online.net deals few days back (1701.3). On this dedi CPU temperature goes up to 90°C on load. is this something i should be concerned?

Also when idle its around 60°C

Comments

• I'm at 84C on my 100% cpu loaded server.

As long as it doesn't clock down it should be fine. Longetivity is something for online to worry about, not you.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • roshan91roshan91 Member
    edited February 2017

@teamacc said:
    I'm at 84C on my 100% cpu loaded server.

As long as it doesn't clock down it should be fine. Longetivity is something for online to worry about, not you.

Once it hits 90C degrees , load goes down from 100% to 60~70%. I ran the same CPU intensive activity i'm running on this online dedi on my kimsufi box and @ 100% load temperature is around 50C degrees. (CPU model is different though, idle temp of this kimsufi box i around 40C degrees)

edit:

also it seems frequency goes down from 3.6ghz to 3.4ghz when its under 90C degrees

• saibalsaibal Member
    edited February 2017

My KS-1

• Given that the thing should have a base clock of 3.3ghz that seems absolutely fine.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

You should contact them and ask them. Usually a company will check the fans or other cooling components for you if you're worried about high temps. I rarely ever have a server go over 75C even under load.

• My online box (E3-1230v3) is around 28C idle, around 80C running a cpu intensive task right now, cpu freq (rated 3.3 ghz) steady at 3399.902 MHz.

• keep in mind that those temperature usually are more likely a 'best guess' of the mainboard manufacturer. different vendors implement different math to calculate the measurements and also include different tolerances. I've seen differences up to 10 degree for the same cpu in the same case/cooling/load situation but on different mainboards.

netherless I would not expect any processor in any datacenter to reach temperatures forcing 'em to clock down... seems like it's hot in online.net DC and it's actually somewhat cold throughout europe.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

How hot are the HDD's

Thanked by 1Dormeo
  • I've seen differences up to 10 degree for the same cpu in the same case/cooling/load situation but on different mainboards.

Thermal paste can account for +-10 degrees like nobody's business. YMMV.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @MikeA said:
    You should contact them and ask them. Usually a company will check the fans or other cooling components for you if you're worried about high temps. I rarely ever have a server go over 75C even under load.

i opened a support ticket, lets see what they say. im running the same application on kimsufi i5 2400 and it never goes over 60C degrees even @ 100% load for hours

• @Yura said:

Thermal paste can account for +-10 degrees like nobody's business. YMMV.

totally agree, it is all about such differences if you try to compare two things which might look the same at the first glance.

• I saw an incident in OnlineNet status thats about temperature.
    Since then,my server in there has been lost connection once until now.
    https://status.online.net/index.php?do=details&task_id=777&project=5&status=&perpage=50&order=id&sort=desc

• Time to boil kettle :)

• RonalBarbaren said:

I saw an incident in OnlineNet status thats about temperature.

That was in January and it was about a transformer in the DC power chain, not about cpu temperatures in individual machines.

• @roshan91 said:

@teamacc said:
    I'm at 84C on my 100% cpu loaded server.

Once it hits 90C degrees , load goes down from 100% to 60~70%. I ran the same CPU intensive activity i'm running on this online dedi on my kimsufi box and @ 100% load temperature is around 50C degrees. (CPU model is different though, idle temp of this kimsufi box i around 40C degrees)

edit:

also it seems frequency goes down from 3.6ghz to 3.4ghz when its under 90C degrees

ovh watercooling power

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited February 2017

longevity could be a concern if they plan on keeping the server for like 5+ years running on those high temps for that long, wonder if the thermal compound, etc would deteriorate.