Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Risk assessment - Using OVH and Kimsufi as main and backup
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Risk assessment - Using OVH and Kimsufi as main and backup

I take uptime serious for my customers. And I'm using DNS Failover service from DNSMadeEasy with two backup servers that always have the latest file and database updated.
This system have proven it self several times over the years, giving me almost no downtime at all, regardless of hardware failure, network issues, DDoS attacks etc.

I do not like to put all my eggs in one basket, so currently I'm using Kimsufi, OVH and Hetzner.
In case of server or network problems on my Kimsufi server, all the traffic is routed to my backup server at Hetzner. If it, unlikely, goes down, the traffic is routed to my OVH server.
My Kimsufi server is located in RBX, and my OVH server in GRA.

OVH is a really big company, so I do not think they go bankrupt over night, and if so, do they take Kimsufi with them?

With all that in mind, do I have a good plan, yet depending on OVH/Kimusfi for 66% of my network?
And in a event with a total network failure at OVH/Kimsufi, do you think Hetzner is affected by it?
Any other Risk assessment tips?

Comments

• Thanked by 2myhken WSS
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

myhken said: I take uptime serious for my customers

myhken said: Using OVH and Kimsufi as main and backup

• @raindog308 Yes, uptime is important, but I'm not charging them so much money that I can afford the best of everything. Their sites has at the most 100 people per day, little more for some customers in their season. (etc. summer) So I can't afford big servers, with HA, load balancing etc etc.
    But doing this the last 7 years, have proven to be a really stable system, with almost no downtime at all. (of course of my DNS Failover system).

• I came here to see if someone posted the "OVH entire datacenter down" text.

Thanked by 1JahAGR
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Yeah, just teasing @myhken . OVH's reliability is actually pretty good especially for the price, but my concern would be what happens when it's not. I've read stories here about slow response from OVH support.

Kimsufi is another matter. Support? Forget about it ;-)

Thanked by 2WSS myhken
  • @raindog308 said:
    Yeah, just teasing @myhken . OVH's reliability is actually pretty good especially for the price, but my concern would be what happens when it's not. I've read stories here about slow response from OVH support.

Kimsufi is another matter. Support? Forget about it ;-)

I've had pretty good support from Kimsufi- the Atom I have goes down every 3 days HARD, and within 8 hours, they reboot it (so far). Wish I didn't prepay for 3 months.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Your risk mitigation sounds better than 99% of what people do in the real world.

Thanked by 2myhken Waldo19
  • 2 years with OVH/BHS and had that fiber cut. That's about it.

But hey, never know when your DC will catch on fire

http://www.datacenterdynamics.com/content-tracks/colo-cloud/fire-brings-down-data-centers-in-india-and-canada/68499.fullarticle

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @raindog308 @WSS - yea support is a concern. But on the other side, I can turn of my main server just now, and it will not affect anything. But on the long term, if one of my customers want me to update some info on their website while my main server is down, I have to do some changes in Navicat (my MySQL database manager) to transfer my database from backup server 1 to backup server 2. And then to my main server when it's up again.

So in most cases, some days or even some weeks of downtime on my main server is not a issue.

@ricardo Thank you. I think my setup is pretty good, but I can always do better.

• I wouldn't put all my eggs with OVH either directly or via sub-brands.

• @quadhost thats why I also have an Hetzner server :D

• @myhken said:
    @raindog308 @WSS - yea support is a concern. But on the other side, I can turn of my main server just now, and it will not affect anything. But on the long term, if one of my customers want me to update some info on their website while my main server is down, I have to do some changes in Navicat (my MySQL database manager) to transfer my database from backup server 1 to backup server 2. And then to my main server when it's up again.

So in most cases, some days or even some weeks of downtime on my main server is not a issue.

@ricardo Thank you. I think my setup is pretty good, but I can always do better.

Seems like a decent setup. Can't you just replicate your Db to both backupservers so you don't have to transfer anything when your main server goes down? Make that master-master replication and you're all set.

• Saragoldfarb said: Can't you just replicate your Db to both backupservers so you don't have to transfer anything when your main server goes down?

I use Navicat today on a server at home. I use it to take daily backups of my DBs, and to replicate the DBs from my main server to my two backup servers. Since I don't update the sites on my server so often, I also use Navicat to replicate my DBs when needed. Since I'm the only one that have access to change info on my customers sites, I always know when I have done a update, and then just hit that profile and replicate.

So my backup servers has always the latest DB update.

The issue, or not even a issue, is if my main server is down for some time, I have to create a new replicate profile on Navicat, replicating my backup DB to my second backup DB. And then back to my main DB when it's up again.

Don't know how I could do this automatically

• @myhken said:

Saragoldfarb said: Can't you just replicate your Db to both backupservers so you don't have to transfer anything when your main server goes down?

I use Navicat today on a server at home. I use it to take daily backups of my DBs, and to replicate the DBs from my main server to my two backup servers. Since I don't update the sites on my server so often, I also use Navicat to replicate my DBs when needed. Since I'm the only one that have access to change info on my customers sites, I always know when I have done a update, and then just hit that profile and replicate.

So my backup servers has always the latest DB update.

The issue, or not even a issue, is if my main server is down for some time, I have to create a new replicate profile on Navicat, replicating my backup DB to my second backup DB. And then back to my main DB when it's up again.

Don't know how I could do this automatically

Sorry I'm not familiar with navicat at all. Anyway, as it's working for you it's fine. Don't try to fix it if it ain't broken.

Thanked by 1myhken