Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Password manager?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Password manager?

ThomLSAThomLSA Member
edited February 2017 in Help

Hello, i'm searching for a Password Manager solution something like LastPass, can someone suggest me one that is good, secure and cheap or free?

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I am a big fan of 1Password personally. You can either pay their subscription or there are one time fees for the applications too.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

If you don't need browser integration, pwsafe of keepass.

For browsers, I use 1Password, which is not free, but has been rock solid in my use with very supportive and helpful devs. I use it on iOS, Mac, and Windows and the Dropbox-based integration has been also flawless.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Keepass

• Keepass

• Roboform

• Keepass.

• @raindog308 said:
    If you don't need browser integration, pwsafe of keepass.

For browsers, I use 1Password, which is not free, but has been rock solid in my use with very supportive and helpful devs. I use it on iOS, Mac, and Windows and the Dropbox-based integration has been also flawless.

Keepass+keefox for browser integration. Its the major reason why I wouldnt switch away from firefox. The keepass integration is much better than similar chrome plugins.

• I'm using EnPass
    https://www.enpass.io/

Thanked by 2Ympker planofam
  • Keepass

• okta single sign on

• Currently use LastPass, though I think I want to move away because of the JS issues & I'd like more control.

Unsure what I'm gonna move to, though.

• Enpass is awesome :)
    Free Unlimited on PC and one time fee of ~7$/android store or ios store

Thanked by 2ContraWeb planofam
  • Keepass is amazing, been using it for years.

• saf31saf31 Member
    edited February 2017

+1 keepass. There is also a portable edition and android app.

• johnnymattjohnnymatt Member
    edited February 2017

Old LastPass User and now avid Keepass User. You have the Firefox Extension, Android App, FireOS App.Keepass forever. Most Important: Its Free

Thanked by 2Tom WSS
  • +1 keypass. There is also a portable edition and android app. If you are using avast for any reason you can try their password manager https://www.avast.com/en-us/passwords#pc

• I am using password-store. Utilize my idle VPS.

https://www.passwordstore.org/

• +1 for 1Password

only supported on macOS, Windows, iOS and Android. No Linux.

• GravelyGravely Member
    edited February 2017

Tried a few. But Lastpass is best imo

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

keepassx 0.4

database sync'd with syncthing, there are syncthing and keepassx apps available for any device I might be interested in

Thanked by 1WSS
  • How does everyone sync their Keepass together? That's the only problem I had- sometimes I'll use a crappy core2 (I love that laptop) when in the living room, when actually working, it's the latitude, or my aging smartphone..

• KeePass2 + KeePassHttp + dropbox to synchronize :)

Thanked by 1WSS
  • Enpass

Thanked by 1planofam
  • keepass

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I tried two others but ended up sticking with LastPass. It was the best for compatibility on devices and the Chrome addon worked the best, the others I tried wouldn't fill all sites properly.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

JabJab said: KeePass2 + KeePassHttp + dropbox to synchronize :)

Did KeePass ever fix the "open DB" thing they had?

i.e., I'd be home and would change an entry but wouldn't close the app. Then go to work and DB wasn't synced.

With pwsafe, the DB file always stayed closed except when the app did an open, change, close cycle.

I never had any sync issue with pwsafe (or 1Password for that matter).

Thanked by 1WSS
  • zilchzilch Member
    edited February 2017

Lastpass, dropbox robo.. are you seriously? Lastpass breached several times. The starting point is that you shouldn't store passes with proprietary software.
    Here is vps addicted solution:

at your vps:

1. dd if=/dev/random of=/opt/folderwithcontainer/secure bs=1M count=512
    2. cryptsetup -y luksFormat /opt/folderwithcontainer/secure
    3. cryptsetup luksOpen /opt/folderwithcontainer/secure secured
    4. mkfs.ext4 -j /dev/mapper/secured
    5. cryptsetup luksClose secured

then at local pc mount remote encrypted conainter and put keepassx db there:

1. sshfs -o allow_other -o IdentityFile=~/.ssh/id_rsa remoteuser@remotevpsip:/opt/folderwithcontainer /mnt/remotepass/
    2. cryptsetup luksOpen /mnt/remotepass/secure secured
    3. mount /dev/mapper/secured /mnt/secured
    4. /usr/bin/keepassx
    5. umount /mnt/secured
    6. cryptsetup luksClose secured
    7. umount /mnt/remotepass/

Then can safely put this encrypted container to several different vps'es for redundancy

• @raindog308 said:

JabJab said: KeePass2 + KeePassHttp + dropbox to synchronize :)

Did KeePass ever fix the "open DB" thing they had?

i.e., I'd be home and would change an entry but wouldn't close the app. Then go to work and DB wasn't synced.

With pwsafe, the DB file always stayed closed except when the app did an open, change, close cycle.

I never had any sync issue with pwsafe (or 1Password for that matter).

Setup a trigger to auto-save on any change:

• Tools -> Triggers...
    • Tick "Enable trigger system".
    • Add a new trigger named "Auto-save". On the properties tab tick both "Enabled" and "Initially On".
    • Events tab: Add the event "User interface state updated".
    • Conditions tab: Add condition "Database has unsaved changes". Name the field "Database" and choose "Active". (Leave "Not" unticked).
    • Actions tab: Add the action "Save active database".

There you go. Your database will now auto-save upon any change made... Be aware that if you make a mistake that will also auto-save.

• if you want to play with some more advanced here is

• I use keepass for years and sync it to all devices needed with syncthing. works flawlessly and is 100% under my control.