Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyShared nameservers down?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyShared nameservers down?

Hi,

Is it normal that http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com reports that:

ns1.private-nameserver.net
ns2.private-nameserver.net
ns3.private-nameserver.net
ns4.private-nameserver.net

Are all down? However this is strange because when I ping them I get replies.

Thanks,
gapper

Thanked by 1JasonM

Comments

• It's possible that they are blocking a lot of IP ranges to prevent abuse/DDoS, and isup.me's range is included in that block.

Thanked by 1Host4Go
  • gappergapper Member
    edited February 2017

I believe that yes they are doing that. This however creates a problem for me, let me explain it.

From my home machine (ISP A) I can ping and access my sites hosted on my Reseller account on BuyShared. However from my mobile phone (ISP B) I can't access my sites.

If I ping ns1.private-nameserver.net from my home then I get replies. If however I ping ns1.private-nameserver.net from my mobile phone I get no replies.

@Francisco could you please confirm if you have some sort of aggresive firewall in your nameservers? This is a severe problem for me because some of my clients can access my sites and some others can't and the problem seems to be due to your nameservers...

• Isup.me works fine and reports my site (hosted on buyshared) is up. Is the issue just with opening outgoing connections from buyshared?

• gappergapper Member
    edited February 2017

This is weird.

isup.me reports that my sites hosted on my reseller account on BuyShared are up. However it reports that the nameservers are down. How can my sites be up if the nameservers are down?

It is not a problem of isup.me because as I said I can't access my sites from certain IPs... there is something rare going on here...

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

Wait, do you have your DNS at buyshared? Maybe that's what's different. I have external DNS and just pointed the A records at Buyshared.

Has anyone thought to put in a ticket instead of posting here?

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • I do not have access to the ticket system because I'm not their client. I'm just helping a newbie (their client) to identify and solve the problem.

If you are using external DNS like Cloudflare then you aren't going to be affected by this issue. I can help my friend by setting up CF for him but this would be overkill. I prefer to get him keep using BuyShared nameservers but hope to get and answer from @Francisco to know if it is normal to see that their NS are down from certain IPs...

• @willie said:
    Wait, do you have your DNS at buyshared? Maybe that's what's different. I have external DNS and just pointed the A records at Buyshared.

Has anyone thought to put in a ticket instead of posting here?

We're all network admins here, simple working solutions are for plebs.

Thanked by 2doughmanes Junkless
  • Ok, I opened ticket #84380 pointing to this thread.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2017

Well we don't run webservers on our nameservers :) so yes, port 80 will report down.

Francisco