Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about IPv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question about IPv6

bcrlsnbcrlsn Member
edited May 2013 in General

Why do dedicated servers sometimes get assigned a /64?
That's a ton of IPv6 addresses, how could one possibly ever use that many?

Comments

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited May 2013

Companies in the past get IPv6 addresses for free but a few months ago, they've started charging for IPv6 addresses.

Well, its free, so you get assigned that many.
    They want you to use them.

• mnpeepmnpeep Member

It's not necessarily about getting x amount of addresses more-so than it is planning and making a structured network with those addresses.

• flyfly Member

subnetting is better with /64's

• StinyStiny Member
    edited May 2013

Total IPv6 addresses 3.4028236692093846346337460743177e+38
    /64 block addresses 18,446,744,073,709,551,616
    We aren't running out anytime soon. With a dedicated server you may decide to host for other people, and in that case you would want as many addresses as possible.
    I doubt I would be able to use a /96 to its fullest.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

I suppose, it just seems impossible to use 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses.

• @fly said: subnetting is better with /64's

Mostly this.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@fly @concerto49 - Makes sense.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2013

So that this works, and you can have a network of VMs on that server, or route IPv6 over a VPN somewhere, and be able to use autoconfigured addresses there.

Also for customer separation purposes even VPSes are ought to be assigned their own /64s, because spam RBLs and the like are going to ban per /64. Luckily some providers do have a clue and already assign subnets: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/4552/leb-providers-with-an-ipv6-64-or-more/p1

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited May 2013

Why do dedicated servers sometimes get assigned a /64?

I wouldn't know. The last server I bought from serverbidding last night only had ONE IPv6 assigned :P

• Isn't it part of the IPv6 standard that end user clients be assigned no less than a /64?

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited May 2013

It's not really feasible for the providers to provide you with anything smaller than a /64 block. They can but far as native IPv6 networking goes, it's just far easier for them to provide a /64 (or in some cases a /48) block for you to use, even if you can never really use 18 quintillion addresses.

Even tunnels (ie: HE Tunnels) are /64 or /48 but never smaller than that.

• marcmmarcm Member

@bcarlsonmedia Why do you care?

• @Magiobiwan said: Isn't it part of the IPv6 standard that end user clients be assigned no less than a /64?

Yeah. You need this for certain functions to work, like SLAAC.

IPv6 is very different from IPv4. It wasn't designed like IPv4 to use every address in a subnet. It was designed to use subnets.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@marcm - I was just wondering. It makes very little sense to me to assign a single server a whole /64, I still haven't learned much about IPv6, I'm still gaining understanding of it.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@bcarlsonmedia said: It makes very little sense to me to assign a single server a whole /64

Even after all the explanations in this thread?

• get tunnelbroker /48 if /64 not enough :D