Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rsync cron works well, just today at 00:01 looks thats happend with ssh!!! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rsync cron works well, just today at 00:01 looks thats happend with ssh!!!

2»

Comments

• I don't know much about iptable as I use a real firewall where I need one, but carefull, "me" usually means "all my server ips".

In case you mean yourself/your home or office IP with "me", you have a static IP at home/office, right?

Whatever, if you have more problems and I can help, I will. But please don't confuse me, particularly not with limuxisms.

Thanked by 1xrz
  • xrzxrz Member
    edited February 2017

Nono sorry i am noob at this really , all i did was placed iptables as a "firewall" and allow me only my home ip as its static ip.

And that 2fa is two factor auth from google auth, just in case someone get pass, they still need auth code from my own phone

Somehow they gain access, now i should be more resticted what ports to keep open, if any.

• You should consider that 2FA over third parties does introduce it's own array of security risks, particularly when smartphones are involved.

Also, you already have kind of 2FA you use password secured ssh keys.
    Note also, that you can drive this considerably further, e.g. by storing your keys not in .ssh but, say on a "secure" stick or you can smartcard encrypt them, etc.

Whatever. Is your server now working/reachable again?

Thanked by 1xrz
  • xrzxrz Member
    edited February 2017

I know but just wanted another layer just in case ... Yes yes will think about yubikey or just usb stick or similar one ...

Yep its reachable, fully working lets see if it stay "normal" till tomorrow then i check again, if not i just rm -rf / and reinstall, but didnt noticed anything for now after reintalling everything ...

• Great. You are welcome.

Thanked by 1xrz
  • WSS said: Do you remember if PermitRootLogin is allowed by default under 7.2/Ubuntian?

Debian 7 still permitted root logins by default, Debian 8 doesn't.

Thanked by 1WSS