Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E3 2x500GB SSD in EU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

E3 2x500GB SSD in EU

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
edited February 2017 in Requests

Hello folks,

Though I've posted in another thread that I'm looking for someone who might be letting expire an SSD Server @ Hetzner (2x500GB SSD version), I'd like to ask what other options do I have in EU.
Other than SYS/Hetzner.

Looking for:
E3
32GB RAM
2x500GB SSD
10TB BW @ 1Gbit
/28 (it's for virtualization, we need a few VPS for our nodes and a cPanel VPS).

My budget is around 50-60 EUR, including the IP's.

Due to the SSD prices that has been dropping a lot, which is good (finally leaving the HDD's?), might be able to find something. While we'd rather pay monthly, this server will be kept for a long time, since it'll be in production.

Cheers

Thanked by 1KamA

Comments

• Lets tag @cociu and see if he can do anything.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • Slightly over budget plus a setup fee, but with 64gb ram and 3x 500gb ssd:

https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-md

Under budget but with 2x250gb instead of 2x500, cpu is about comparable to lower range E3:

https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-classic

worldstream.nl usually has good offers though their site isn't responding to me right now.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@willie said:
    Slightly over budget plus a setup fee, but with 64gb ram and 3x 500gb ssd:

https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-md

Under budget but with 2x250gb instead of 2x500, cpu is about comparable to lower range E3:

https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-classic

worldstream.nl usually has good offers though their site isn't responding to me right now.

Thank you, I did see online.net offers but adding the IP costs, will get it too expensive for us.
    We're on a budget here, though this is something we'll keep for years.

WorldStream.nl have nice prices, but they ask for 32 EUR each SSD, so, out of our budget.
    I've seen a few offers in DCs in USA, but I'm more inclined to EU since I'm from Portugal.

Let's hope I'll get some offers here.
    Ideally, if we had the right budget, we would go ahead with Clouvider, but can't afford it. Really tight budget here.

• Worldstream lets you install your own disks in their servers, so if you plan on keeping it for years that might be worthwhile.

Thanked by 1willie

@teamacc said:
    Worldstream lets you install your own disks in their servers, so if you plan on keeping it for years that might be worthwhile.

Certainly, it does. Most supermicros, dells, etc, do have IPMI or an iDrac module there, so that is nowadays pretty much standard. Not a very, very important factor but deciding one.

• MikePT said: that is nowadays pretty much standard.

Wow, I don't know of any other non-colo providers that let you install your own disks. That leaves a ton of money on the table for them if they charge $32/month for a 500gb drive when can buy one for $150 or less on Amazon. Do you get the drive back at the end of the rental? The main way to do that is colo, which seems to only become worthwhile once the amount of hardware is large.

@willie said:

MikePT said: that is nowadays pretty much standard.

Wow, I don't know of any other non-colo providers that let you install your own disks. That leaves a ton of money on the table for them if they charge $32/month for a 500gb drive when can buy one for $150 or less on Amazon. Do you get the drive back at the end of the rental? The main way to do that is colo, which seems to only become worthwhile once the amount of hardware is large.

Oh sorry, misunderstood.
    I thought you meant, let me install my own OS! Damnit, what a huge fail :P.

I got it, but we're not willing to invest on purchasing SSDs.
    We'd colocate in Portugal instead, and buy a 250-300 E3 from a seller in EU + the SSD disk price. It's more expensive here, though the colocation fee would be the same.

Anyway, that's not an option.

• @willie said:

MikePT said: that is nowadays pretty much standard.

Not a clue, asked their live-chat a while ago if "they would install my drives if i shipped them to their dc" and they said yes. Thats all the info i have.

teamacc said: Not a clue, asked their live-chat a while ago if "they would install my drives if i shipped them to their dc" and they said yes. Thats all the info i have.

Yes, probably. Though I misunderstood it, didn't read properly. We'd rather save the costs purchasing the SSDs.

The plan here is to save some bucks and keep it online for a long time. We'd go with hetzner 79 EUR setup fee if we had the budget to.

• That doesn't add up. Especially by planming for a long time the setup costs should not be a showstopper at all. What is a long time? Two years? That would be 79 / 24 ~3,3 euro per month on top of the monthly price…

Thanked by 1MikePT

@Falzo said:
    That doesn't add up. Especially by planming for a long time the setup costs should not be a showstopper at all. What is a long time? Two years? That would be 79 / 24 ~3,3 euro per month on top of the monthly price…

Correct - I got one from Serverbidding. We're on a budget, tight one, so we need to avoid setup fees basically. No setup fees in serverbidding and got us an excellent replacement.

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

MikePT said: I got one from Serverbidding.

You got an auction SSD server? What config and how much was it? Usually the auction ones are expensive. I see:

Intel Xeon E3-1271V3 10140 32 GB 2 x 480 GB DC SSD ECC iNIC € 59.00 22h 37m

which is almost 2x as much as comparable 2x3TB HDD machine. But maybe it's still attractive. What kind of "production server" is on such a tight budget?

edited February 2017

@willie said:

MikePT said: I got one from Serverbidding.

You got an auction SSD server? What config and how much was it? Usually the auction ones are expensive. I see:

Intel Xeon E3-1271V3 10140 32 GB 2 x 480 GB DC SSD ECC iNIC € 59.00 22h 37m

which is almost 2x as much as comparable 2x3TB HDD machine. But maybe it's still attractive. What kind of "production server" is on such a tight budget?

Yes, close to 49 EUR, E3 1270v3
    32GB RAM
    2x480GB SSD DC Edition

Pretty good for our needs.

willie said: which is almost 2x as much as comparable 2x3TB HDD machine. But maybe it's still attractive. What kind of "production server" is on such a tight budget?

We got it for 48.53 IIRC. We're launching our official online store, so we need to keep it on a tight budget. We'll also need to run a few other VMs in the server, JIRA, CMS, etc.

• williewillie Member
    edited February 2017

MikePT said: We got it for 48.53 IIRC.

Pretty good I guess, must be exvat, slightly worse per month than online.net but you avoid the setup fee, freeing up some immediate cash in exchange for spending more in the long run when you have more revenue. Fair enough.

What about the ip's? Did you have to buy a flexipack?

Why do you need so many ips anyway? If it's for internal services can't you use ipv6 and/or some nonstandard ports?

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited February 2017

MikePT said: We got it for 48.53 IIRC. We're launching our official online store, so we need to keep it on a tight budget. We'll also need to run a few other VMs in the server, JIRA, CMS, etc.

which is basically 10 € p.m. more than the regular and new ex41ssd (all excl. VAT) so after 8 month this bidding box will become more expensive... :-)

yet for sure it is your call to decide what's long term and if you can afford setup costs or not ;-) ;-)

• willie said: What about the ip's? Did you have to buy a flexipack?

you don't need the flexipack for additional IPs anymore.

• zilchzilch Member
    edited February 2017

Netcup cuts processor vt-x support. Both at vps and root servers. In case you need nested accelerated kvm visualization then netcup is expensive. It contains hidden fee.

• If you're not willing to pay setup costs, you're obviously not a serious / long-term client. Anyone who is actually planning to stay long-term would have no problem with setup fees.

Thanked by 2Tom joeri