Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for 10-20 Mbit unmetered
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for 10-20 Mbit unmetered

NetsatNetsat Member
edited May 2013 in General

Hi,

I am looking for a VPS with 10-20 Mbit truly unmetered, for a TOR relay.
Minimum 512 MB. ram and 5 GB harddisk.
If you know a good provider, please help out.

Regards
Johnny

Comments

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited May 2013

Not sure if you noticed, but there is this awesome blog called LowEndBox, it's about doing as much with the least memory and is run by a hobbyist who does research too, so you can never go wrong!

• BenediktBenedikt Member
    edited May 2013

Bronze, did you even read his requirements? It's not that easy to find a dedicated 10-20 Mbit/s LEB.

• Not to rip your post or something.

I am interested in this too
    Minimum requirement: 10mbps unmetered | 128mb ram | 1gb hdd | tun/ppp for VPN

• He could just look for 5tb bandwidth plans, no big deal

• I could potentially hook a 10Mbits unmetered plan up, throw me a PM if you're interested in a West-Coast Location.

• Really people. 10mbits = 3tb tops.

Just ask for a 3tb plan?

• @skirtTight said: Really people. 10mbits = 3tb tops.

Just ask for a 3tb plan?

Guess the difference is you'd have to control the bandwidth yourself, which some people don't want to do.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2013

1) 10-20 Mbit is basically nothing
    2) http://www.lowendbox.com/?s=unmetered&searchsubmit=Find
    3) №1 means that even on the more shadier providers that claim "100 Mbit unmetered" you can VERY likely do your 10-20 Mbit and not even be noticed.

• NetsatNetsat Member

The reason that i wrote truly unmetered was, that some provider counts outging AND ingoing trafic against your qouta.
    I don't have the time to read the TOS - if it even is mentioned in the TOS.

/Johnny

• @concerto49 said: which some people don't want to do

=)

edited May 2013

@Netsat said: some provider counts outging AND ingoing trafic against your qouta.

A great majority of LEB providers with a traffic limit do count both ways.
    The few providing free bandwidth in one of the directions, advertise that explicitly.

@Netsat said: I don't have the time to read the TOS

That's... not the best attitude to have when choosing a provider.

• NetsatNetsat Member

@rm_ said "That's... not the best attitude to have when choosing a provider."

I know and I am sorry - but it is only for a very small project.

A TOR relay use the same amount of data in both directions.
    So basically, I should be asking for a VPS with 7-14 TB bandwidth - 10 Mbit in both directions is 6.6 TB and 20 Mbit 13.2 TB.
    If that can't be done for 7 bucks, I am willing to pay a bit more.

/Johnny

• blergh_blergh_ Member

Anyone who is trying to run a serious relay on a shared platform that is not in your own name is a dumbass, just go help torservers, DFRI or EDRi as they will make much better use of your money and contribute more to the growth and health of Tor.

edited May 2013

@blergh_ said: Anyone who is trying to run a serious relay on a shared platform

10-20 Mbits is not a serious relay, @blergh_.
    I pushed much more on VPSes, and to an extent still do.
    Although cheap dedis (hint, hint!!!) are indeed much better for that.

• blergh_blergh_ Member

@rm_
    I would say that a 20Mbit relay is serious indeed, this all depends on who is running them, how, when and where.

You can support something like DFRI with 1Mbps for a full year for 45$

• NetsatNetsat Member

@blergh_
    Thank you for your insigth..
    I run a few tor relays and entry guards in Europe. The fastes is a 100 mbit dedicated unmetered relay.
    I just wanted to have a few US relays too.

/johnny

• blergh_blergh_ Member

@Netsat
    No problem. Have you looked at torservers? from my experiences (via dfri and others) i have learned that trying to run anything like this on hardware you do not own, or are in total control of, is naive and dangerous.

edited May 2013

@blergh_ said: depends on who is running them, how, when and where.

Irrelevant.

@blergh_ said: run anything like this on hardware you do not own, or are in total control of, is naive and dangerous.

From your posts you don't seem to draw a distinction between an Exit node and a Relay-only node. Relays are zero danger. The only way they are a bit troublesome, is that Tor tends to use quite a bit of CPU and b/w (though you can precisely control how much), and "lesser" hosts may not like that.

• NetsatNetsat Member

Thanks for all the inputs so far.
    If you know a provider - perhaps youself? I Will be greatful.

/Johnny

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

@blergh_ said: Anyone who is trying to run a serious relay on a shared platform that is not in your own name is a dumbass, just go help torservers, DFRI or EDRi as they will make much better use of your money and contribute more to the growth and health of Tor.

To an extent, I agree with you in terms of immediate measurable impact.

However if everyone had the same idea there'd be a striking lack of network diversity within Tor. I read somewhere a while back that there's a significant chance of exiting through one of the CCC's servers, which emphasises the point.

Tor needs more relays and exits, not just bandwidth.

• JacobJacob Member

Go for our small plan with promo "small2048" @ $7.00, and drop me a PM with the order #.

• @ElliotJ: "However if everyone had the same idea there'd be a striking lack of network diversity within Tor."

Well said. While organizations like Torservers/Noisebridge/CCC are doing the Lord's work converting donated money into donated bandwith, it weakens the network's resilience to have the bulk of the bandwidth provided by just a few entities.

And on the same topic:

@Netsat: "I run a few tor relays and entry guards in Europe. The fastest is a 100 mbit dedicated unmetered relay. I just wanted to have a few US relays too."

The U.S. & Western Europe (esp. Germany) are way over-represented in diversity of node locations. Geographical/political diversity is important too.

• blergh_blergh_ Member

@rm_
    Highly relevant, i would say. Not all relays or exist's are good. I would personally much rather help with funding an organization that is used to running relays & exits than doing it in my own, shared environment. Organizations like these have their own ip-space, resources, AS, abuse-handling and whatnot. This is something that many people tend to forget, which decreases the general health of Tor.

@swsnyder
    Not all eggs are in one basket in these organizations, but you do have a point indeed.