Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HK KVM VPS with direct China BW
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HK KVM VPS with direct China BW

Hello,

I am currently looking for a KVM VPS in HK with direct CN bandwidth, with low latency to China Mainland as the main requirement.

Specs I'm looking for:

512mb ram/20gb disk/50gb bandwidth (preferably on 10mbit burst if possible, burst will only happen from outside of China for the initial setup though)

Budget is around 10 usd/month, preferably with paypal.

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited February 2017

1Mbit are 330GB - 50GB are ~1/6th - 1Mbit direct China BW is in wholesale ~75-100$ - 1/6th of 75$ are 12.5$.

Your budget does not cover BW costs before even hardware.

i'm sure @randvegeta sells VPS in HK still with direct CN as for many years now but doubt they have something in the price range.

• @William said:
    1Mbit are 330GB - 50GB are ~1/6th - 1Mbit direct China BW is in wholesale ~75-100$ - 1/6th of 75$ are 12.5$.

Your budget does not cover BW costs before even hardware.

i'm sure @randvegeta sells VPS in HK still with direct CN as for many years now but doubt they have something in the price range.

StarryDNS also had something in the range - 180GB bw (which got halved recently, site not updated), but their cheapest plan is out of stock forever and wont come back (confirmed by ticket)

And yes, I am aware that I'm pushing the price a lot, just wanna see if there's anything similar to stack network's offer out there ( https://lowendbox.com/blog/stack-network-1gb-kvm-vps-in-la-and-hong-kong-39mo-dedicated-server-in-china/ , seems removed now), which has somewhat decent mainland connectivity, but network derps all damn day. Support seems non-existent as well at this point.

Of course above was to be expected from a 5 usd vps in hong kong with direct CN connectivity and 1mbit unmetered bandwidth... Probably halfway past deadpooling by now.

That being said, Ill use about 10GB of CN bw per month, with the rest being international bandwidth, which should fit in the budget quite nicely.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@William,

You're forgetting that ISPs like PCCW, Pacnet and HGC all include direct China routes (of course not dedicated).

Still.. after you factor in the hardware/IPs, paypal fees, it just about breaks even. At best you're looking at a $1-$2 profit, and given the limited number of IPv4 addresses, not really an attractive one to pick up.

@teamacc, are you able to up the budget a little? I'll do it for $15.

Thanked by 1teamacc
  • @randvegeta said:
    @William,

You're forgetting that ISPs like PCCW, Pacnet and HGC all include direct China routes (of course not dedicated).

Still.. after you factor in the hardware/IPs, paypal fees, it just about breaks even. At best you're looking at a $1-$2 profit, and given the limited number of IPv4 addresses, not really an attractive one to pick up.

@teamacc, are you able to up the budget a little? I'll do it for $15.

I sent you a PM asking for a test ip, kindly reply :)

• randvegeta said: You're forgetting that ISPs like PCCW, Pacnet and HGC all include direct China routes (of course not dedicated).

Sure, but quality ranges from questionable at high usage hours to outright useless 24/7 depending on ISP and location....

"Shared" BW is also a weird concept as the OP will seemingly use pretty much 95% as i calculated, which requires a "dedicated" "availability" of this 95%... or he can't use this amount of BW...

randvegeta said: @teamacc, are you able to up the budget a little? I'll do it for $15.

Yea, probably best offer.

• @randvegeta Pacnet's China Direct Route is very expensive now.
    Default route doesn't have direct route.
    usually got this: 10026 4766 4134 (or 10026 1299 4134, but Telia HK only 1Gbps peer with CT)

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@akw28888,

Pacnet has never been particularly cheap. They were bought out/taken over by Telstra weren't they? Got an offer from Teslta at a very low rate of $2.50 /mbit, but no Direct China... Still the pricing is en-par (ish) with cheapo carriers like Cogent and HE.net, but they should have far more POPs in APAC, so it should be a better carrier for the region. Cogent/HE.net seem prices are a little under $2 /mbit but they only have 3 pops in Asia (HK, JP and SG), so almost all traffic routes via USA.

@William,

Indeed the quality varies depending on time of day. If you're not paying US$100+ /mbit for bandwidth to China, then of course you're just buying on a 'best effort' basis. With that in mind, the SLA we have with our upstreams (with direct China routes) stipulate minimum performance to China with regards to latency and packet loss, and there is no restrictions on what proportion is used for China, so in theory it could be used 100% to China, but I'm not so naive to think that I could do that long term. But I have been fairly happy with HGC's performance and stability to China. The trade-off though is having to deal with them and their archaic, backward, overly bureaucratic ways! It's a stupid company! They can't give me IPv6 on the existing line I have, and their IPv6 traffic does not differentiate between local/international! And they charge more for international IPv6 bandwidth than they do IPv4! And everything needs to be done by FAX! Would you blieve? Stupid company

• there are a few I can name, that is just a bit higher than your budget.

• @William said:
    "Shared" BW is also a weird concept as the OP will seemingly use pretty much 95% as i calculated, which requires a "dedicated" "availability" of this 95%... or he can't use this amount of BW...

My monthly data cap might have been an over-estimation, especially for the CN direct route. Most data will probably go from china to germany (and back), but the small amount that goes towards china mainland needs to have proper latency.

• Any recommendations for 20-30 usd?
    Im trying to use https://www.gigsgigscloud.com/ currently but that **** almost does not work.

• starrydns has a 1gb package in hong kong with premium bw, and should be quite nice.

• when you expect stable to mainland, you need to expect for high cost. Provider need to have few time overselling to cover the bandwidth cost. If any other high usage user in the same environment, or any abuser at upstream provider, the stability of services will be affected too. Although pccw, HGC sell much cheaper compare direct to CT/CU, i believe there have overselling as well.