Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best small SSD Drive
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best small SSD Drive

AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
edited May 2013 in General

Hey,

Whats the best small SSD drive to host MySQL databases? Only need 5GB space so don't need anything big. Main thing is its good for read/write and doesn't cause a IO Wait e.g.

Cheers

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

A 5GB SSD drive? never heard of it, just get a VPS with SSD diskspace?

• It'd be cheaper to offload your db onto your ram :/

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@Ishaq said: A 5GB SSD drive? never heard of it, just get a VPS with SSD diskspace?

I only need 5GB Space, so i know you get 64GB SSD, just need to know what drives are good.

Can't use a VPS as i want to host it locally on my server.

@skirtTight said: It'd be cheaper to offload your db onto your ram :/

There is about 500 databases and about 300 are actively used, so loading it into my RAM would not be ideal.

• @HostUS said: There is about 500 databases and about 300 are actively used, so loading it into my RAM would not be ideal.

But you said you need 5GB of space. You can't load 5GB to RAM?

edited May 2013

@concerto49 said: But you said you need 5GB of space. You can't load 5GB to RAM?

Which would not be idea, what happens if my server was rebooted? What would happen if it crashed? All the data would be lost.

• JacobJacob Member

you could get them small 16, 32gb pci-e ssds. But the smaller the SSD the slower.

• @HostUS said: Which would not be idea, what happens if my server was rebooted? What would happen if it crashed? All the data would be lost.

Have you not heard of in-memory databases? They also do save to disk for persistence obviously.

• @concerto49 said: Have you not heard of in-memory databases? They also do save to disk for persistence obviously.

I've not heard of InnoDB before, have you?

@concerto49 said: Have you not heard of in-memory databases? They also do save to disk for persistence obviously.

Its just not ideal for cPanel,

• zserozsero Member

You won't find high performance SSD's in smaller than cca. 120 GB packages today. Simply no one is making them.

I'd recommend either a Samsung 830 64GB (second hand), or a Samsung 840 120 GB. Having lots of free space on SSDs is actually a very good idea, makes the drive better at garbage collection and distributes the writes over the full memory area.

• @zsero said: I'd recommend either a Samsung 830 64GB (second hand), or a Samsung 840 120 GB. Having lots of free space on SSDs is actually a very good idea, makes the drive better at garbage collection and distributes the writes over the full memory area.

Samsung 830/840/840 Pro <256GB have very poor performance. Most review numbers come from the 256/512GB versions.

• zserozsero Member
    edited May 2013

@concerto49 said: Samsung 830/840/840 Pro <256GB have very poor performance

This is relative. They are slower than their bigger brothers, but they still run circles around most other drives!

Anyway, measuring speed of modern SSDs is so stupid, they are all ridiculously fast and are within 10%-20% of each other. In reliability on the other hand, some are total trash while other work 24/7 for years! If someone just want to upgrade from HDD, I always recommend to look for a reliable drive, like Samsung 830/840/840P and never look back.

• @zsero said: This is relative. They are slower than their bigger brothers, but they still run circles around most other drives!

No they don't. At 120/128GB a lot of drives will be faster. It is just that bad at 120/128GB.

@zsero said: Anyway, measuring speed of modern SSDs is so stupid, they are all ridiculously fast and are within 10%-20% of each other.

No they're not. Try measuring Crucial M4 against OCZ Vector or Samsung 840 Pro for example. You'll find it a lot more than 20% especially due to the SATA2 vs SATA3 difference.

• zserozsero Member
    edited May 2013

Sorry, to prove you wrong, the Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB is the nr. 4 (actually nr. 2) in this list, out of a stupid amount of drives. And Anandtech is the most well respected SSD testing website, so they know what they are talking about:
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/266

• @zsero said: Sorry, to prove you wrong, the Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB is the nr. 4 (actually nr. 2) in this list, out of a stupid amount of drives. And Anandtech is the most well respected SSD testing website, so they know what they are talking about:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/266

You'll see. Samsung 840 Pro has huge inconsistency in enterprise workloads. These benchmarks usually show client workloads. It also exhibits very high write latency, i.e. 800-1000ms and a few reviewers have stopped recommending them.

Nothing wrong with Anandtech but as you can see http://www.anandtech.com/show/6935/seagate-600-ssd-review/3 they've opted for different testbeds to show stuff like this.

• zserozsero Member

@concerto49 said: You'll see. Samsung 840 Pro has huge inconsistency in enterprise workloads. These benchmarks usually show client workloads. It also exhibits very high write latency, i.e. 800-1000ms and a few reviewers have stopped recommending them.

Nothing wrong with Anandtech but as you can see http://www.anandtech.com/show/6935/seagate-600-ssd-review/3 they've opted for different testbeds to show stuff like this.

Thanks for this, I didn't know about it. On the other hand, for the OPs original question, this is not important, if he would only have a 5 GB database in any of these SSDs I think it would never ever trigger the 'worst-case performance' on that SSD. Actually, I wouldn't even consider it 'enterprise' workload.

Actually, for the original question, I believe that all he needs to do is to make sure that there a lot of free RAM in the machine, and an intelligent database 'should' just keep everything in the cache. In real world on the other hand, it might not be as simple as this.

• RamNode <--

• @zsero said: Actually, for the original question, I believe that all he needs to do is to make sure that there a lot of free RAM in the machine, and an intelligent database 'should' just keep everything in the cache. In real world on the other hand, it might not be as simple as this.

That's about what we said at the start, but didn't work.

@connercg said: RamNode <--

Please link me to where RamNode offer SSD** Drives** I ended up getting a 120GB SSD from ym datacenter.