Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVPN on Windows Server and Static IP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVPN on Windows Server and Static IP

dnwkdnwk Member

I have a VM that has couple static IP. I ran Windows on it. I install OpenVPN on it as server. I push "redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dhcp". The client will be able to connect but can't access Internet. I know I need to do iptable on Linux. How do I do the routing on Windows? Is there a way to assign the public IP over OpenVPN?
Thanks

Comments

• PandaRainPandaRain Member
    edited February 2017

The reason why it's failing is because you don't have NAT configured on your Windows Server. Here's roughly the notes I've written for myself that summarize the steps.

This was done on Server 2008R2, but it'll be very similar for all other versions.

Server Manager > Add Roles > Network Policy & Access Services Role (NPAS) > Routing & Remote Access Service (RRAS) > Install

Then, in Server Manager, Right Click "RRAS" > Configure & Enable > Custom Configuration > [Check Off] "NAT" > Finish > Start Service

Then, to configure NAT:
    RRAS > NAT > [Right Click] New Interface > Local Area Connection 2 > "Public Interface connected to the Internet" > "Enable NAT on this interface"

• I will try it out. Thanks.