Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

*Pooof* All of my OpenVPN servers stopped working... (Resolved)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

*Pooof* All of my OpenVPN servers stopped working... (Resolved)

AmitzAmitz Member
edited January 2017 in Help

This is resolved, scroll down to know why...

TLDR: I am stupid and you smell good.

Dear all,

I have had @Nyr's OpenVPN installer script working on 6 different servers for quite some time without issues now. Yesterday, I did the periodical "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" on all those servers (Debian 8.7). Now, I can still connect to the servers, but every connection gets a time out while resolving the hostnames.

So it seems that the system update broke the same thing on all servers and it is related to DNS resolution. They all use the provider's resolvers for DNS.

Any idea how I should approach the issue? I already thought about crying out loud, hitting a random stranger on the street with a baseball bat, as well as getting drunk and having meaningless sex with a beautiful woman. But I fear that all of this might me fun, albeit not helping out with the problem...

I sincerely hope that your ideas are better than mine. Thank you very much in advance for your appreciated help!

Kind regards
Amitz

Thanked by 1simonindia

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

I dunno.. I was going to suggest logging into your machine and checking your settings for the resolver, but having meaningless drunk sex with a random beautiful woman seems a hell of a lot better.

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • MagicalTrainMagicalTrain Member
    edited January 2017

Considering I just set up brand new Debian 8.7 installs(or not all brand new, but definitely fully updated) today with Nyrs script, Id say change your DNS provider. Im using dns.watch or HE, theyre all working.

I do have to say @WSS is quite correct as well though.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited January 2017

The random beautiful woman was a lie - just like the f*cking cake. I just know one beautiful woman and she is mostly beautiful because she is willing to have sex with me. I will check the resolvers, give me a second...

Edit:
    The entries in /etc/resolv.conf all look good. I can ping and resolve any address from within the server. Still the client which is connected cannot.

Edit 2:
    Un- and re-installed Nyr's script using different DNS providers each time. None of them works.

• WSSWSS Member

What's your ovpn file look like without the certs?

• Do you know what you upgraded? That'd help.

With the VPN connected, can you resolve IP addresses?

• What do the iptables rules look like?

• @Amitz I had the same issue a while back when I upgraded Ubuntu server. Reinstalled nyrs script with CentOS and worked. Maybe just try centos to be sure :)

• zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited January 2017

@Amitz said:
    Dear all,

Any idea how I should approach the issue? I already thought about crying out loud, hitting a random stranger on the street with a baseball bat, as well as getting drunk and having meaningless sex with a beautiful woman. But I fear that all of this might me fun, albeit not helping out with the problem...

You forgot to try the route of opening a support ticket to the host, initiating a chargeback of all payments and then posting on all forums and blogs that the host terminated you & how awful their support is - using the words scam, fraud is a must in the title of the thread.

This method usually works best :P

Thanked by 4WSS ATHK Baris netomx
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

Amitz said: I just know one beautiful woman and she is mostly beautiful because she is willing to have sex with me

I hope you won't tell her that or her will might change a bit.

Thanked by 1varunchopra
  • @Ympker said:
    @Amitz I had the same issue a while back when I upgraded Ubuntu server. Reinstalled nyrs script with CentOS and worked. Maybe just try centos to be sure :)

Nyr fixed a bug (kind of) with Ubuntu servers just yesterday. But thats not regarding Debian.

• Aha xD Well Im fine with centos, too. It's the only thing I run on there.

• I started my Linux journey with Suse 9.0 and I never quite got over how terrible that experience was. I still hate rpm based distributions to this day.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Upgrading borked my OpenVPN servers too. There was a update SSL library update when I upgraded yesterday. Should have looked more carefully at the list of updates. Will try reinstalling as Ympker suggested when I get back from work.

• WSSWSS Member

@MagicalTrain said:
    I started my Linux journey with Suse 9.0 and I never quite got over how terrible that experience was. I still hate rpm based distributions to this day.

As someone who is a religious OpenSUSE user, well-

Yeah, you're right.

I went to Mint 18 and never looked back. Well, when my HD died I put OpenSUSE on because I couldn't massage Mint into doing an UEFI/Secure boot, but then broke down and set the BIOS to use Legacy just so I had a semi-cohesive installation without hours of mucking-with required.

I still love SuSE because when it worked, it worked well. When it didn't, well- it was debian without firmware.

Thanked by 1MagicalTrain
  • @WSS said:

@MagicalTrain said:
    I started my Linux journey with Suse 9.0 and I never quite got over how terrible that experience was. I still hate rpm based distributions to this day.

As someone who is a religious OpenSUSE user, well-

Yeah, you're right.

I went to Mint 18 and never looked back. Well, when my HD died I put OpenSUSE on because I couldn't massage Mint into doing an UEFI/Secure boot, but then broke down and set the BIOS to use Legacy just so I had a semi-cohesive installation without hours of mucking-with required.

I still love SuSE because when it worked, it worked well. When it didn't, well- it was debian without firmware.

I never really went back to Suse, simply because later on there always were better marketed or maintained distributions out there even for rpm (Fedora, Mandrake at a point etc), but yum as gotten better from the few tries Ive given CentOS. But while Debian stable is outdated, every time I try CentOS Im astonished at how ancient everything in it is. +crapton of stuff for some reason refuses to work on CentOS 7 and clings to CentOS 6 which is even more ancient.

I had small stints with Archlinux for a while as a desktop system, but I keep coming back to my trusty Debian.

• WSSWSS Member

OpenSUSE was designed more for users than administrators. I kept family happy being able to read (and write) Word related files, add printers with clicky buttons, and, eh.. CentOS is bloated to hell. Debian on the servers, Debian on the desktop.

Debian bros. ^5

Thanked by 1MagicalTrain
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited January 2017

Oh dear...

Today is clearly one of those days. One of THOSE days. It started like shit and this is also how it ends... ;-) I have just found out that only the one client machine has issues. All other devices using the servers have no problem at all. And I spent the last 3 hours looking for a server-side solution. Stupid me.

Thank you all for wanting to help out. You are pure gold and smell like cherryblossoms!
    I will now cry out loud, go out to hit a random stranger on the street with a baseball bat, will get drunk and tell my partner when I come home that I love her and refrain from having meaningless sex with another woman. That was a bluff anyway... ;-)

• zafouhar said: using the words scam, fraud is a must in the title of the thread.

You forgot fartmother.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WSSWSS Member

refrain from having meaningless sex with another woman

You act as though this was a viable option..

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited January 2017

I am an old man. Everyday, I act as if things would be viable options, well knowing that they are not or no longer... ;-)

Thanked by 2WSS netomx
  • bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited February 2017

Just out of curiosity: How does one have meaningful sex with any woman?

By saying "yeaaah, babe, wank it hard with your cute wh#re p#ssy" in latin?
    By occasionally mentioning at the next breakfast "You know, darling, that the amount of pushes tonight happened to be pretty close to the square root of 2 to the 14"?