Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared Hosting vs VPS - A couple of questions I'd like to see discussed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared Hosting vs VPS - A couple of questions I'd like to see discussed

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited January 2017 in General

Basically a couple of questions regarding Shared Hosting & VPS.
This is based on assuming you'd be wanting to host a webproject on either Shared Hosting or VPS.

1) When are you going to choose VPS over Shared Hosting? On the contrary: What makes you choose Shared Hosting over a VPS?

2) Managed VPS vs Shared Hosting + cPanel (or any other panel)

3) VPS with vpssim/serverpilot/easyengine vs cPanel (or any other shared hosting panel) ?

4) Other input you might be giving on this debate

As for me I've more or less settled with the following:

1)

VPS:

• You can basically get any location you want (+ more or less choice of Datacenter)
  • Freedom + own choice of webstack (full root access, not acctually locked in a "box")
  • Performance (more or less dedicated to you depending on hypervisor)
    ==> Support for powerfull webapps, node.js etc.

• Price tag (not even sure. You could probably get a vps for 1$/month capable of webhosting aswell)

• Needs to be managed by yourself or managed hosting which is definitly gonna cost you

Shared Hosting:

• "Managed" as in everything required to keep your website running is provided
  • cPanel/DirectAdmin (license included/provided for free) or another Panel for ease of use
  • Cheap 1$/month or less if paid yearly. But then again we are at LET so VPS are, too.
  • Provider side optimization for your webstack given you dont/cant optimize it yourself.
  • Often has the "Unlimited Disk Space" tag which obviously is an illusion and bound to FUP but it is there. Somehow. Same goes for BW. That being said vps bw is mostly sufficient, too.
  • You are acctually locked with the Stack you are provided with. Often you can't run node.js etc or/and don't have ssh access.
  • Less performant then VPS
  • Not as much locations/dcs to choose from as you'd have with vps

2)
Performane wise and probably also support wise a managed VPS service can be really superb (mentioning Liquid Webs Heroic Support here). Though often way more expensive than basically "managed" webhosting/shared hosting. As for the control panel I could be choosing any panel and have it setup for me though probably would need to cover cPanel license myself whereas with shared hosting it is "included". The price tag and what I exactly want would be deciding the sides here.

3)
When I really just want to host a webproject I must admit I tend to be lazy and be fine with cPanel or anything similar provided with Shared Hosting offers. Though I do like to run vpssim on my vpses :P

4)
Although overall I tend to see the chances and advantages in VPS I would still turn to Shared Hosting or rather have been with Shared Hosting since about 3 years as all my webprojects always were fitting in that preset "borders". If one day I would require my webprojects to be "outside the box" I might require a vps. Until then I am enjoying the cheap webhosting/shared hosting offers with my current provider :)

Alright,
Let's get this debate started^^

Comments

• SSDBlazeSSDBlaze Member, Host Rep

Shared hosting because cPanel. Sometimes people aren't in the mood to install things and configure the VPS to host a website, they'd rather just have instant setup with a shared hosting account.

Shared hosting prices provided by companies such as BuyShared are so good that you can't turn it down. You won't find a VPS as cheap as that, especially one that has a cPanel license.

You can get a VPS in just about any location, but the same goes for shared hosting.

I don't know when people will start choosing VPS over Shared Hosting. I don't think a VPS will ever be required for small websites or simply parking domains. A VPS is really only needed if you use too much CPU or Disk Space for shared hosting, or if you need the privacy.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I've been using Dreamhost shared hosting for about 12 years, and honestly, they make it very easy. I don't do sophisticated sites, just a few WordPress and Dokuwiki sites, so everything Dreamhost offers in shared hosting has fit my needs.

As to VPS, I found that I couldn't install a Moodle site on Dreamhost, so I had to set up a VPS, and roll my own. The VPS is very reliable, robust, and uber flexible. But with that comes extreme responsibility and effort. I'm not a Linux guru, so I've had to educate myself in many areas such as hardening security, learning about SSL, certificates, Apache virtual hosts, and a ton of other stuff. In the end, it's worth it, but it was also a fairly steep learning curve.

I keep a couple cheap VPS instances that I can spin up as I need for ad hoc projects, or just to play and learn.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Thanks for the feedback so far! Ive heard a fair share of good things about DH :)

Keep the replies coming!

Btw I totally can see where you are coming from having to dig into linux myself prior to acctually starting to use it at a moderate level of security and efficience.