Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM VPS for Tor exit node - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM VPS for Tor exit node

2»

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

With Bitcoin? If you want to run this kind of things, do it in your own dime, pay with your own card, give out your own details, so it's not the host taking falll for it, but you, if anything happens.

• @Francisco said:

@WSS said:

@Francisco said:

Lots of people seem to use ROOTSA directly for their TOR's, but maybe our slices will draw some interest :)

Francisco

Huh.. anybody want an onnion slice?

I like you.

Francisco

SEE DAD!? _SEE!?
    _

I DID AMOUNT TO SOMETHING AFTER ALL!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2017

@Francisco said:

I've been spending some time talking to my staff about it, and depending how a few more chats go we'll likely open up our TOR policy to allow exit's, so long as the customer documents to us (ticket) that they're running one. We'd obviously enforce it as a KVM/Slice only thing to keep things under control.

Users will still have to address things like DDOS and such, but I wasn't sure if that was much of a concern these days or not.

Lots of people seem to use ROOTSA directly for their TOR's, but maybe our slices will draw some interest :)

Francisco

It is Tor.
    At this time Tor is alive and well, thanks to snowden and some successful attacks and sting operations, it became mainstream. It proved that, if police does it's job properly, nothing is unbreakable.
    Now it is the time for the next level. Layer 8, sorta, encrypted routed packets and distributed resilient storage, fully encrypted, of course, with added padding and noise. Freenet, I2P and the like are good steps forward, but we need more. A universal protocol running through UDP preferably in lieu of something better, through traditional connections and over wi-fi, bluetooth, whatever, to build up resilience in the big cities and almost perfect anonymity.
    This is the future WMD against surveillance and censorship. The building blocks are available, we only need a standard.

• raindog308 said: What is the latest with that guy? I searched the news, and there doesn't seem to have been any recent update.

Also, Andrea Shepard that had stated accusations are real, seem to followed also an... exit node! She's out of the project, according to tor's official webpage.

• @jvnadr said:

raindog308 said: What is the latest with that guy? I searched the news, and there doesn't seem to have been any recent update.

Also, Andrea Shepard that had stated accusations are real, seem to followed also an... exit node! She's out of the project, according to tor's official webpage.

The whole problem with tor is that it rapes your resources.

• WSS said: The whole problem with tor is that it rapes your resources.

:-D

• One could say that joke was in tor taste.

• sinsin Member
    edited February 2017

@WSS said:
    One could say that joke was in tor taste.

LET Rape is probably already sold on some tor darknet market - only $7.00!

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @sin said:

@WSS said:
    One could say that joke was in tor taste.

LET Rape is probably already sold on some tor darknet market - only $7.00!

I can't deny that I've thought of offering the same. The only problem is that everything I've witnessed comes on ReiserFS- and that's a deal killer right there.

Thanked by 2sin Francisco
  • ...plus you have no room in /home for any guests to sit.

Thanked by 1sin
  • Maounique said: It proved that, if police does it's job properly, nothing is unbreakable.

Tor is secure, before police are in front of my door or someone provides 100% certain proof (eg. US court/gov documents by FOIA request) this is the assumption - not yours.

Maounique said: running through UDP preferably

Sure. UDP in Africa or Asia :')

Try to build a UDP connection from Beijing to DE and we'll see....

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2017

William said: Tor is secure, before police are in front of my door or someone provides 100% certain proof (eg. US court/gov documents by FOIA request) this is the assumption - not yours.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/14/silk-road-agent_n_6474928.html
    I mean things like those, police infiltrating cp and drug rings in order to obtain proof and stuff, social engineering, mostly.
    I mean, if the police does what is supposed to do, i.e. mainly covert operations and legal raids with that data, not randomly picking exit IPs and stuff to only harass and frighten people, then, nothing is unbreakable in spite of their claims that anonymity and encryption seriously hamper their efforts, therefore must be outlawed or watered down somehow.
    No, actually, anonymity and encryption hamper illegal police actions (spy agencies, criminals, etc), be it part of a regular or undercover police state, criminal gangs sponsored or run by governments.
    Illegal actors know they will not be able to convince the courts to give them broad fishing rights in a democratic society, this is why they try to lobby the legislators to issue unconstitutional broad powers, even state of emergency legislation so they can be lazy and indict IPs.

William said: Try to build a UDP connection from Beijing to DE and we'll see....

As noted (for who actually bothered to read, not TL;DR people for which any hope is lost), this is for local areas over wi-fi, for example a metro bay area, the intercity links will be over regular connections from volunteers which will allow their connections or servers/VMs to transport the encrypted and padded payload to the next city, with intelligent routing avoiding bottlenecks, etc. A new protocol can be issued for this kind of mesh, if not, UDP will do for now, I did not say is easy or trouble-free, just that all the hardware and most of the software tools are here, we only need a standard. We both know encapsulation works, so, there are ways for long (physical or number of hops) links, if the need will arise, but it should work even like this.