Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

openvz NAT vps VS Docker
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

openvz NAT vps VS Docker

xiyanxiyan Member
edited January 2017 in General

Is there any disadvantage in docker (cloud?)?
I believe docker makes better use of hardware than openvz and it's more flexible than openvz.

There are some vps based on lxc and Docker is developed base on lxc.(You can check wiki)

It seems that the providers hardly give an offer for docker hosting.

I would like to pay 10 dollar per year if you can give me the following resource.

256MB RAM. 10 GB HDD. 500GB/100mbps

100 ipv4 ports . snapshot and backup

SLA 99.9%

IO and upload/download speed have minimum grantee.

I can run as many instances of docker under the resource you give me.

I don't care much about location.

Looking forward for your opinions.

Comments

• mfsmfs Banned, Member

Docker doesn't do what - I guess - you think it does. You wouldn't run a VPS from docker. It's more about delivering and running "apps" without bothering much about the surrounding environment.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Personally, I prefer OVZ over Docker.

Thanked by 2Ympker WSS
  • xiyanxiyan Member
    edited January 2017

@mfs said:
    Docker doesn't do what - I guess - you think it does. You wouldn't run a VPS from docker. It's more about delivering and running "apps" without bothering much about the surrounding environment.

As you said ,it's more convenient and less bothering.
    Besides , I don't need to run complicated things on openvz.

• xiyanxiyan Member
    edited January 2017

@davidgestiondbi said:
    Personally, I prefer OVZ over Docker.

Would you mind giving me the reason on the providers' side? Thank you.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited January 2017

A better comparison: OpenVZ vs LXC

Either way, for $10/yr, you may as well get the dedicated IP :-)

• OVZ (or the newer LXC) is different than docker. OVZ (and LXC) is a software something like virtualization (with containers) that runs a whole Linux OS there to be portable.
    Docker is for creating portable applications.
    IMO, you cannot compare those two technologies, they are similar but targeting to different purposes.
    And I agree with @davidgestiondbi, I also prefer containers than dockers, they are more flexible in creation and customization and I prefer to control the whole environment of the apps I install there.

Thanked by 1gestiondbi
  • to get vps like services, yes you must choose OVZ or LXC, but for delivering apps with its environment only, use docker

Docker is not OS, even it have Debian, centos, and so on. It just base environment

• Its called containers as a service or docker as a service.

Here is a provider for example. No idea how who they are, but its just the first result google spat out:

https://sloppy.io/pricing/

• @jvnadr said:
    OVZ (or the newer LXC) is different than docker. OVZ (and LXC) is a software something like virtualization (with containers) that runs a whole Linux OS there to be portable.
    Docker is for creating portable applications.
    IMO, you cannot compare those two technologies, they are similar but targeting to different purposes.
    And I agree with @davidgestiondbi, I also prefer containers than dockers, they are more flexible in creation and customization and I prefer to control the whole environment of the apps I install there.

Yeah, docker targets to different people.
    So ,which part can't you control in docker?
    Is it possible to use docker as a simple VM?
    I prefer docker because it can be easily transfered to any other Linux as long as it supports docker.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Docker vs OpenVZ == Banana vs PopTarts

You can't compare both. They are for different usage and people.

• @MagicalTrain said:
    Its called containers as a service or docker as a service.

Here is a provider for example. No idea how who they are, but its just the first result google spat out:

Thank you for your information.
    It seems docker hosting cloud is more expensive than KVM.
    Do you have any idea about it?

• My guess is less mature and hence higher costs+less competition.

Plus probably less demand still.

• @MagicalTrain said:
    My guess is less mature and hence higher costs+less competition.

Plus probably less demand still.

Yeah. There is not much demand and it's not mature enough.

• xiyanxiyan Member
    edited January 2017

@akhfa said:
    to get vps like services, yes you must choose OVZ or LXC, but for delivering apps with its environment only, use docker

Docker is not OS, even it have Debian, centos, and so on. It just base environment

I only need to run simple applications on docker and I am tired of changing configurations while delivering it to another place.

• @davidgestiondbi said:
    Docker vs OpenVZ == Banana vs PopTarts

You can't compare both. They are for different usage and people.

Indeed. I just wonder why there is not such docker hosting while it's highly competitive in vps . Why not try to offer a product about docker that there is not that much competitors ,which means the providers might earn money easier.

• xiyan said: I prefer docker because it can be easily transfered to any other Linux as long as it supports docker.

Same with openvz or lxc. It can be transfered to any other server supports those technologies. As of differences? Docker encapsulates an app, while openvz/lxc acts like a standalone linux machine (even though it shares kernel with the rest lxc instances on the node).
    In real life? OVZ is a standalone fully functional OS and can run anything that doesn't need modification of the kernel itself, while docker acts like an environment translating each single process for each different app it uses.
    OpenVZ and LXC are far more flexible when it comes to networking than docker, but docker can easily transfer ready to go applications (from a mail server or a developing environment to a whole website) and make them really portable.

• @jvnadr said:

xiyan said: I prefer docker because it can be easily transfered to any other Linux as long as it supports docker.

Same with openvz or lxc. It can be transfered to any other server supports those technologies. As of differences? Docker encapsulates an app, while openvz/lxc acts like a standalone linux machine (even though it shares kernel with the rest lxc instances on the node).
    In real life? OVZ is a standalone fully functional OS and can run anything that doesn't need modification of the kernel itself, while docker acts like an environment translating each single process for each different app it uses.
    OpenVZ and LXC are far more flexible when it comes to networking than docker, but docker can easily transfer ready to go applications (from a mail server or a developing environment to a whole website) and make them really portable.

Awesome explanation. Thank you.

• xiyanxiyan Member
    edited January 2017

@MagicalTrain said:

https://www.google.com/search?&q=docker+hosting

Arukas.io
    I just found a free one. If you are interested in it, you can have a try.

• xiyanxiyan Member
    edited January 2017

@MagicalTrain said:

Arukas.io
    I just found a free one in Japan which has awesome network. You can even run a VPN or hosting a blog or something in it.

Free plan.
    512M RAM for each application
    Every account can run ten applications.
    I didn't know the limitations on hard disk.

It's a creative idea anyway.

• I believe docker is basically a recipe to build a container template. Docker instances are containers and so the are as functional an OS as OpenVZ. One of the docker goals was to create a consistent environment so that an application ran the same way for everyone that used it.

• @Crusty said:
    I believe docker is basically a recipe to build a container template. Docker instances are containers and so the are as functional an OS as OpenVZ. One of the docker goals was to create a consistent environment so that an application ran the same way for everyone that used it.

I agree.