Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to choose? (Gaming server)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What to choose? (Gaming server)

KayKay Member

Hello everyone!

Can you please let me know if I should go with this specs

or this

Someone told me that i7 will perform better in this case, but I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thank you!

Comments

• I would go for the E3-1270v2, performs the best out of those 3 CPU's.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • what game? is RAM more important?

the i7 and 1230v2 looks to be pretty much same, while 1270v2 looks to be faster (based on cpubenchmark)

also the i7 has sata2 hdd while the others have sata3 and ecc ram, if those also matter.

• KayKay Member

@BlazeMuis said:
    I would go for the E3-1270v2, performs the best out of those 3 CPU's.

@Pandy said:
    what game? is RAM more important?

the i7 and 1230v2 looks to be pretty much same, while 1270v2 looks to be faster (based on cpubenchmark)

also the i7 has sata2 hdd while the others have sata3 and ecc ram, if those also matter.

It's a RUST Server, I believe it uses more RAM than CPU, and I apologize for my ignorance, what's the difference about ECC RAM?

• What game will you be hosting specifically?

The i7 has integrated graphics, but the e3-1270 will be the best CPU performance wise.

• Kay said: It's a RUST Server

Yeah just take the 1270v2, rust doesn't need 8GB. It prefers CPU power.

• KayKay Member

@BlazeMuis said:

Kay said: It's a RUST Server

Yeah just take the 1270v2, rust doesn't need 8GB. It prefers CPU power.

Well right now I have a server with 87 players on it (paying for slots) and it's using 9GB of RAM and 15% of the CPU (i7 4Ghz they say), I think RAM is actually important?

I was reading this post from a big community.

Thanked by 1BlazeMuis
  • none are really "gaming" perhaps the 4790k at sys may be a better idea?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited January 2017

i7

• KayKay Member

@TarZZ92 said:
    none are really "gaming" perhaps the 4790k at sys may be a better idea?

Out of my budget unfortunately.

@Neoon said:
    Mate, get the 10EUR DEAL, good single performance.

Where is that deal? Is it a good deal? Let me know.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Kay said:

@TarZZ92 said:
    none are really "gaming" perhaps the 4790k at sys may be a better idea?

Out of my budget unfortunately.

@Neoon said:
    Mate, get the 10EUR DEAL, good single performance.

Where is that deal? Is it a good deal? Let me know.

Well below Deals on Worldstream, you can get a G1820 with 2.6k Bench Dualcore for 10 bucks.

But anyway, the i7 has 8.6k bench, E3-1230 v2 has 8.8k bench.

So if you need 16gig, you take the E3-1230v2 if you need 8gig, you take the i7 mate.

• Neoon said: But anyway, the i7 has 8.6k bench, E3-1230 v2 has 8.8k bench.

actually the i7 has a 11k bench. the 4790k has a 15/16k bench

• Kay said: Where is that deal? Is it a good deal? Let me know.

https://www.soyoustart.com/en/game-servers/

• It depends but I'd say E3

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Worldstream for gameserver? Not sure their ddos protection is up to that task

• KayKay Member
    edited January 2017

Hey everyone.

Would you guys recommend me Webtropia? (see image)

I understand that their DDOS protection isn't "real" (some say 500PPS others 20Gbps), but I guess if I ever get attacked I can just get a remote ddos protection right?

They have good hardware for a good price, I've read some reviews and the most common bad thing is their lack of ddos protection, but I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thanks!

@kay Ever thought of perhaps using a VM for hosting this server?

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited January 2017

That would work amazing if it fits in your budget, a 4 GHz i7, good DDoS protection, and 16GB of ram, and more for only $49.99USD /month

• KayKay Member
    edited January 2017

@pbgben said:

I did, but for the specs that I need the price (at least for the providers I've checked) are almost identical, so I guess I can stick with a dedicated server, unless you know a great offer.

@ethancedrik said:

That would work amazing if it fits in your budget, a 4 GHz i7, good DDoS protection, and 16GB of ram, and more for only $49.99USD /month

VAT kills this deal for me, I'm aiming at 40-45€ max with VAT incl.

@Kay said:

@pbgben said:

I did, but for the specs that I need the price (at least for the providers I've checked) are almost identical, so I guess I can stick with a dedicated server, unless you know a great offer.

@ethancedrik said:

Only have a 5GB available for a low space filler pricetag. I guess you're after an EU location.

I could do $30 for 10GB RAM 50GB SSD storage 2vCPU with no usage limits. i7-4790K CPU's (OVH range not SYS)

• @Kay said:

@pbgben said:

@ethancedrik said:

Get the £42 SYS and get GRA tunnel from extravm in same DC. Total cost about 45 euro. I do have a spare i7 sys without the gaming protection i'll be willing to give you a deal so msg me.