Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GRE Tunnel over NAT?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

GRE Tunnel over NAT?

trazxtrazx Member

Hey guys anyone know how to setup a GRE tunnel between a lowend NAT server (ipv4 nat) and a normal server (with ipv4)?

I found a tutorial by BuyVM which is pretty good but it's meant for a GRE tunnel between ipv4 and ipv4 server ...http://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/gre_tunnel

any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Would require GRE module loaded in the hostnode, which is probably not enabled.

• Humm, I see, so GRE/IPIP modules are not usually loaded by default?

My basic goal is to connect my main server to my lowend NAT server so that I can forward particular traffic from my main server to the NAT server and back

• @trazx said:
    Humm, I see, so GRE/IPIP modules are not usually loaded by default?

My basic goal is to connect my main server to my lowend NAT server so that I can forward particular traffic from my main server to the NAT server and back

Had a ticket with @quadhost about 9 months ago about the very same issue. They said they were going to test enabling the modules, and depending on testing roll it out. Not sure if that ever got anywhere.

• Ah I see that's a shame ( I'm also using a quadhost nat server)

Did you find a workaround/solution to tunneling traffic between your servers?

Thanks I appreciate the help

• i83i83 Member
    edited January 2017

trazx said: I see, so GRE/IPIP modules are not usually loaded by default?

Why should IT be for all OpenVZ VM's by default? On our range for example I can count on one hand the number of users that have requested it.

teamacc said: Had a ticket with quadhost about 9 months ago about the very same issue.

GRE can be enabled on request via ticket.

trazx said: Did you find a workaround/solution to tunneling traffic between your servers?

Open a ticket and ask us to grant your container the correct permissions.

Thanked by 2Dumbledore aboanas93
  • Hey i-83, that's great! yeah I don't know enough about GRE --I just assumed it was loaded by all kernals by default. Anyway happy that you are offering to enable it by request! Many thanks

• Not sure, how I would forward though since the buyvm tutorial requires an ipv4 ip address---I could try IPV6 to IPV6 but I'm pretty sure the instructions in the link I provided would need to be different

Thank you for the help

• @trazx said:
    Hey guys anyone know how to setup a GRE tunnel between a lowend NAT server (ipv4 nat) and a normal server (with ipv4)?

I found a tutorial by BuyVM which is pretty good but it's meant for a GRE tunnel between ipv4 and ipv4 server ...http://wiki.buyvm.net/doku.php/gre_tunnel

any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Just out of my own curiosity, if you don't have huge amounts of traffic, why not leverage something like OpenVPN for this instead of GRE?

• Humm, i don't know about huge...half a terebyte or so...openvpn is a good idea, I haven't considered it tbh--I've always seen it as a tool to connect between client and server, not server and server if that makes sense...I'm clearly a bit of a noob, do you have any thing that can point me in the right direction? I appreciate the help!