Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very weird Cloudflare DNS Issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Very weird Cloudflare DNS Issue

I moved a site(using Cloudflare DNS) from Server A to Server B today. Then replaced the ip in Cloudflare DNS to Server B IP (A records for main dmain, cpanel, WHM etc). This was fine but then after 30 mins, cloudflare switched back to the old (Server A IP) for all A records.

Since then, I have been trying again and again, but everytime CF switches back to the old IP after 30 Mins.

What could be causing this ? Any ideas ?

Comments

• BasilBasil Member
    edited January 2017

I don't know what's causing this, but I've been experiencing it too over the last few weeks

• Are you sure you deleted the old record?

What happens if you delete the old record (dont add the new record) and wait 30 minutes?

• @teamacc said:
    Are you sure you deleted the old record?

What happens if you delete the old record (dont add the new record) and wait 30 minutes?

The site might go down? Can't take that risk.

• And no, I didn't delete the old records, just changed the ip.

• joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited January 2017

You can use dnsmanager.io

• HyperFilter_OfficialHyperFilter_Official Member, Patron Provider

@Junkless said:
    I moved a site(using Cloudflare DNS) from Server A to Server B today. Then replaced the ip in Cloudflare DNS to Server B IP (A records for main dmain, cpanel, WHM etc). This was fine but then after 30 mins, cloudflare switched back to the old (Server A IP) for all A records.

Since then, I have been trying again and again, but everytime CF switches back to the old IP after 30 Mins.

Looks like a synchronization issue in their systems, maybe you can open a ticket for them and ask them to verify it ? Because looks like their system is overwriting your settings after a while.

• Already have a ticket opened for the last few hours. No response till now. So this is not a known issue ?

• HyperFilter_OfficialHyperFilter_Official Member, Patron Provider

@Junkless said:
    Already have a ticket opened for the last few hours. No response till now. So this is not a known issue ?

Well at least I need heard of this before. :)

• @Junkless said:

you utilising cloudflare api/scripts for anything like failover or dynamic update of dns record via api ? maybe you haven't updated the scripts for new ip yet ?

• @eva2000 said:

you utilising cloudflare api/scripts for anything like failover or dynamic update of dns record via api ? maybe you haven't updated the scripts for new ip yet ?

Dont think so. Nothing of such sort is setup.

• Does server A have the cloudflare plug in enabled if so that well be auto updating the ip after you change it

Thanked by 1netomx
  • No plugin installed on server A

• @Junkless said:
    No plugin installed on server A

Try changing the default api keys

how long the previous record stayed in use ?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Around 7 months or so.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2017

Junkless said: Already have a ticket opened for the last few hours. No response till now. So this is not a known issue ?

Free accounts on CF does not get ticket responding very quickly.
    Now, there are from time to time some similar "bugs" using CF. I forced changing DNS a couple of times just by switching off the old server for some minutes. Can you try switching off the old server for a couple of hours?

• bsdguybsdguy Member
    edited January 2017

@Junkless said:
    ... Cloudflare DNS ...

That could be caused by using a service from someone who obviously fucks up DNS and thinks having hundreds of Gb of pipes plus some mumbo jumbo around is basically all one needs.

Others having similar problems hints that I might be not far off.

Less cynically: dns is the bloody core and hence you should have that handled by someone who really knows his stuff and has a reliably infrastructure, something like a professional anycasted dns provider. If it's really, really important to you, split your dns over two professional providers or run the master on a vps of your own and have secondaries at some professional providers.

• WSSWSS Member

I set my ttl ove r9000 because I was told to.

Post your domain here if you want folks who grok to take a look.

@bsdguy o hallo!

• @WSS

Smart move! Yesss, one should follow the advice of pervert denic bureaucrats and then triple the values just for good measure. After all, TTL means time-to-live and we certainly wan't our NS records to have a long live. 9000 seems a little on the low end but hey, if you are modest and like it to be a little on the risky side ...

Another point one can't stress enough is that credit card data (incl. security code) should definitely be part of whois info. In that regard I have to criticize denic and similar a little, because still they demand only full real address (no postbox!) and phone number, which is very reasonable but neither credit card data nor bra size for female domain owners.

Finally, while I do recognize and commend denics and similar attemps to reach the peaks of stupidity and bureaucracy, I have to state that there is still some room left; not much but anyway.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • WSSWSS Member

^-- I want some of what he's having.

• So it have been two days, and no reply from Cloudflare. Any other solutions ? :(

• @Junkless said:
    So it have been two days, and no reply from Cloudflare. Any other solutions ? :(

Isn't that obvious? -> No cloudflare.

• Ok, I might have found the cause. Will be confirmed in an hour or so, hopefully.

• TamerciagaTamerciaga Member, Host Rep

@Junkless said:
    Ok, I might have found the cause. Will be confirmed in an hour or so, hopefully.

Are you using the Cloudflare cPanel plugin? Or any type of service which stores records locally?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Qarizma said: Are you using the Cloudflare cPanel plugin? Or any type of service which stores records locally?

^^ This

• It appears they were using something like that, but outside of cpanel and cloudflare panel. Found it after some digging. Testing my theory now.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

$5 that he was using a plugin