Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subsonic music streaming?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Subsonic music streaming?

I saw a thread about Plex for video streaming, however I've been looking for a music streaming solution. I found out about http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp Subsonic, which apparently you can download and run on a Java equipped server and stream from computers and phones via a website or streaming app.

Has anyone tried something like this before or has something like this already set up? I'd love to try this out, I don't have much of a music library yet but it seems like a pretty cool thing to mess around with when I'm bored.

Comments

• WSSWSS Member
    • Install the Subsonic server app where you keep your media.
    • Use a browser on any computer to play music and movies.
    • (Optional) Get an app for your phone.

• Used subsonic recently and it worked well but didnt like the ads. Libresonic is a free fork and removes the license part. Im currently using ampache which is pretty similar and works well for me.
    Both subsonic and ampache run well on a 512mb box not sure how it would perform with a larger library though.
    You can also check out emby havent tried it myself maybe others can comment on it.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited January 2017

I have been using subsonic for my music for the past 6 months or so without any issues. I have it hosted on my server at home and just open up a port for the web interface for when I'm at work and such. I use the Dsub Android app which is pretty great and haven't had any issues.

• djndjn Member

plex does music too :)

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited January 2017

I've used subsonic for years, it's a nice, straight-forward music streamer with lots of decent client apps, offline tracks, pretty much everything you could want, plus premium is very cheap.

@MasonR said:

some stuff

Or you can pay the paltry $12/year to support the developers?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Nekki said:
    Or you can pay the paltry $12/year to support the developers?

Totally agree. After a couple months of using it, I purchased a lifetime sub after knowing it went well beyond what I needed/expected from a self-hosted music app. Just thought I'd put it out there if OP wants to evaluate whether it'll suit their needs, especially since libresonic (as someone else mentioned) is subsonic with the licensing stuff ripped out.

• MasonR said: Just thought I'd put it out there if OP wants to evaluate whether it'll suit their needs, especially since libresonic (as someone else mentioned) is subsonic with the licensing stuff ripped out.

You get to trial premium for 30 days with every new server install, so there's absolutely no reason to circumvent licensing just to try it out, so maybe remove the instruction? I've removed it from my quote.

• I used to use subsonic till I started using Spotify. Never really like the Android app from Subsonic though.

• Anon111234Anon111234 Member
    edited January 2017

I have a few Libresonic installations set up. It's pretty nifty, even if the installation's not the most straightforward. The buffering system on the official Android client is pretty useful.

• I always found it a bit scary, that everyone could download your music collection, simply by guessing IDs.
    I am not sure about the most recent version, but for a long time you could just use Google or Shodan to find some Subsonic servers and then download their complete library by incrementing an ID and issueing GET requests... Tried that with a 10 line Python script and in most cases it didn't take very long to download a huge amount of files. :P

• Ampache and emby are some alternatives that come to mind.

• Thesedays I just subscribe to spotify.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

OK, I have to ask...

I understand streaming in the Apple Music/etc. sense because you're streaming music you otherwise wouldn't have access to.

But what is the point of streaming if you already own the music...? I carry my music on an iPod (a phone would also work of course). Streaming it would just burn bandwidth.

I get streaming video more actually, because you often only watch it once and want to watch it on a TV, so network-hosted makes sense. But music?

Just curious.

• WSSWSS Member

@raindog308 said:
    Just curious.

Laziness. Same reason the current generation is content paying for, but not owning rights to music they paid for.

• Been using Madsonic for the past month or so, not using it heavily yet, but it seems to work nicely...

• @raindog308 said:
    OK, I have to ask...

I understand streaming in the Apple Music/etc. sense because you're streaming music you otherwise wouldn't have access to.

But what is the point of streaming if you already own the music...? I carry my music on an iPod (a phone would also work of course). Streaming it would just burn bandwidth.

I get streaming video more actually, because you often only watch it once and want to watch it on a TV, so network-hosted makes sense. But music?

Just curious.

Laziness as @WSS said, but also music discovery is a huge thing. + If you switch streaming providers every 3 months~ you can do it for free forever (or at least in the past 2 years). So many streaming providers that have 3 free month trials going on at any one time. Currently Im using Napster. Before that was Google Play.

• WSSWSS Member

@MagicalTrain said:

Laziness as @WSS said, but also music discovery is a huge thing.

If that were true, Pandora would still be "A thing". The providers of tunes are just as lazy as we are.

• MagicalTrainMagicalTrain Member
    edited January 2017

Pandora is a huge thing for me :(

For some reason I have intermittently been able to access pandora even without a proxy for the past 6 months or so, despite it not being available in my country.

• Subsonic is A-OK and far out, man. Been using it for several years. I use android and they are a few apps to stream from your server. Most cache the music files to your device (take up space on your phone) so be careful if you have a crappy phone or a small SD card. Other than those few drawbacks, Sub/Libre Sonic do a fantastic job.

• I've used Madsonic.
    After a while it corrupted it's own database, somehow. Which didn't even let me login as admin. A purge/reinstall didn't fix it either and I wasn't bothered enough to find the reason.

Later on I turned to Ampache, along with d-sub it is a nice fix, just like Subsonic was.

• @raindog308 said:
    OK, I have to ask...

Having access to your full library rather than just what you can fit locally on your device, although I'd probably cache/offline save stuff that i'm more inclined to listen to.

In the case of spotify I use the discovery/daily mix a lot.