Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the nicest thing a hosting company has done for you?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the nicest thing a hosting company has done for you?

A lot of people always say bad things about hosting companies. But I don't think many people give a lot of thought about the nice things they do. What is something nice that a hosting company has done for you? If you can't think of any then maybe you've been picking the wrong ones. Also, if you've ever met a support representative that wasn't just there to do a satisfactory job. One that really communicated and was happy to be talking with you.

Thanked by 1ucxo

Comments

• The nicest thing the last years, was Mr. Salvatore of Prometeus that helped me with some PHP and MySQL issues, and went far beyond what I should expect from a unmanaged host. He just wanted to see what the problem was, and solved it for me.
    I never asked, he did not have to, but he did it.
    I'm pretty sure that I never will get that kind of help from my current hosts @Hetzner, OVH, Kimsufi, Vultr and DO (maybe from @Jarland here on LET).

And he always was a decent guy when it comes to money. (Mr. Salvatore). When I left them, I had prepaid allot. He never needed to repay me, but he did, without a question.

Thanked by 2Yura NanoG6
  • Postpone payments without block or termination

• Giving me €10 for being the longest still active user... Helping me create a debian 7 xen template when it was just released and wasn't available yet... Sending me a nice 'happy holidays'-card and mini led christmas tree for christmas/new year... @AnthonySmith

Thanked by 2AnthonySmith yomero
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

SwordfishBE said: Giving me €10 for being the longest still active user

You still are, saving me money every time you renew haha!

Thanked by 1SwordfishBE
  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited January 2017

@MikeA not suspending my server when it got infected and started portscan half of the routable internet. I was able to survive that abuse incident with zero downtime. We had voice server on the machine too and my guild was doing a critical progression raid so it had the recipe for disaster lol.

• Giving me free services.

Thanked by 1default
  • WickedWicked Member
    edited January 2017

Only thing I can remember...and this will probably shock a lot of you. OVH extended my server 3 or 4 times - got 14+ days total. They have also given me refunds when they don't really had to.

WorldStream and the Voxility team(2012-2013) is probably the friendliest people I have worked with.

• Giving me 250+ usd in free credit for reporting a ton of bugs ( @onapp_terry ).

Also, having so many reportable bugs in the first place.

Thanked by 1OnApp_Terry
  • perryoo11perryoo11 Member
    edited January 2017

Well best part to me is that I am able to do my things for free best support for nothing in return.

@century1stop :)

Good server uptime.

Great support.

And a good guy to talk with even if it's just off topic you'll get a response back that makes the situation even funkier.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited January 2017

@Wicked said:
    Only thing I can remember...and this will probably shock a lot of you. OVH extended my server 3 or 4 times - got 14+ days total. They have also given me refunds when they don't really had to.

Well, that depends on your local support.. I heard that the UK support is best to work with, while irish support is worst.. I tried calling and asking extension due unreasonable delay in deployment of additional service and the finnish support personel just hanged on me.

• Giving a free domain, helping out with issues on other hosts, super friendly support.

• @Francisco was always willing to give general advice in Skype.

Then I always think about the fact that I only have a 5$ buyshared plan there and that I use this plan pretty heavily, running several less-important sites on it, several cronjobs, a daily backup script etc.

I'll have to buy some vps there again, but for now I don't need additional servers.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • DO staff gave me free credit (dont remember how much), because I dont know a coupon that I redeemed was only for a new user.
    I made a second account on DO for coupon and they detected it by my paypal. I kindly apologize and they refunded a few bucks that I added into that account.
    They once emailed and asked me kindly why I didnt pay $20 that I owed. They wanted to know what problem I had.

• I registered for the 1$/year hosting from vortexnode during the blackfriday offer. Somehow forgot to pay it and after 4/5 days found out that my invoice was cancelled which is very logical for such rush time. Just gave a knock to their support team via live chat and guess what they restored it for me within 10 minutes, honestly I was never expecting such generous support for such a low-end product. I wish them all the best.

Thanked by 1VortexMagnus
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Not deadpooled?

Francisco

• I am not gonna post provider name but they given me openvz to kvm with no extra money.

• WSSWSS Member

I had one call me to tell me there was a problem with a migration on a super-small personal site I hosted with them, internationally. This was before VoIP was reliable, and their call probably cost just as much as their profit for that year.

I still haven't cut them loose, because we've been together for nearly half my life, even if their prices haven't changed. Sweet Jesus..

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • @loveservers came around to my flat and freed me from my room.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@kcaj said:
    @loveservers came around to my flat and freed me from my room.

What an ordeal that was.

Thanked by 2VortexMagnus hawc
  • myhken said: The nicest thing the last years, was Mr. Salvatore of Prometeus that helped me with some PHP and MySQL issues, and went far beyond what I should expect from a unmanaged host. He just wanted to see what the problem was, and solved it for me. I never asked, he did not have to, but he did it. I'm pretty sure that I never will get that kind of help from my current hosts @Hetzner, OVH, Kimsufi, Vultr and DO (maybe from @Jarland here on LET).

And he always was a decent guy when it comes to money. (Mr. Salvatore). When I left them, I had prepaid allot. He never needed to repay me, but he did, without a question.

He really is a good man. Beside any you have mentioned, he also like to give free stuff, discounts, etc.
    I still have my lifetime free VPS from him

• Support not treating me like an idiot. I love when support staff go full on geek mode and actually explain the problem/fix.

Other than that, free servers/credit :)

Thanked by 2simonindia ucxo
  • ATHKATHK Member
    edited January 2017

@Jarland sent me some DigitalOcean swag all the way from America :)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

3 examples spring to mind, oldest to most recent.

1) Jon (Owner/director) of RackSRV UK at 4am on Christmas day helping to mitigate a DDOS attack, without being asked.

2) IOflood, Gabe offering replacement hardware for my Miami crisis when ServerAxis went bust without notice and worrying about cost later even if it was just for a temporary free home while I got sorted.

3) Dominik from @Clouvider driving half way round London to get some differently branded ram to help with my troubleshooting of an issue when he was under no obligation to do so and then sending me a basket of chocolate.

Thanked by 2Clouvider gestiondbi
  • Support not treating me like an idiot. I love when support staff go full on geek mode and actually explain the problem/fix.

Other than that, free servers/credit :)

+1 for the above if it happen with hosts

Virtwire Ryan was the guy who surprised me when my 64MB NAT VPS scanned the host nodes with nmap by my friend who was intrigued by nmap when he saw me using it in my office

So he tried the same with linux box i have given him which is LES NAT 64MB VPS from Virtwire I have expecting an my account termination at that point as the VPS was suspended but for to my surprise he just warned me and reinstall the vps without any rune are un professional behavior that day on ward's i have always seen different ryan we had some chats on skype.

• sinsin Member

Last month I came home to a box on my porch from Leaseweb that had a t-shirt, sunglasses, pens, stickers, little twirly paper airplane things, and a card with a handwritten thank you note. It was pretty cool and the t-shirt is nice.

• I think BuyShared once fixed some PHP code for me :D

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • Delay deployment to an extent I forgot I ordered.