Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN server on NAT vs IPv4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN server on NAT vs IPv4

yektayekta Member
edited January 2017 in General

is there any disadvantage of a VPN server at a NAT-only VPS?

speed-wise? Connection problems? etc.

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

Limited ports, duh.

• @WSS said:
    Limited ports, duh.

I'm not behind a proxy. AFAIK openvpn can work in any port. So this is not a problem?

• WSSWSS Member

As long as you can work within the limitations of the host. Most IPv4 NAT hosts come with open IPv6 as well, so worst case, you can always setup a 6-in-4 tunnel (I wouldn't for storage).

Thanked by 1yekta
  • You share the ip with others, so if someone else used the ip to get himself banned on a site, you'll find yourself banned too.

• akbakb Member

@yekta said: I'm not behind a proxy. AFAIK openvpn can work in any port. So this is not a problem?

Thats right. You can use any of the 20/40 forwarded ports allocated to you. As OpenVPN works over TCP/UDP, sitting behind NAT is not a problem for it.

@WSS said: Most IPv4 NAT hosts come with open IPv6 as well, so worst case, you can always setup a 6-in-4 tunnel (I wouldn't for storage).

For VPN too, you wouldn't want a 6in4 tunnel which "might" add more latency to a already slow OpenVPN connection and another point of failure.

In my iperf tests, I did find some NAT VPSes performing slower than the non-NAT ones for a OpenVPN connection, location of both being the same. But that is because on a NAT VPS you are sharing the network pipe with a considerably larger number of people (given their low costs = more guests/node) in comparison to a standard VPS by a decent host.

Thanked by 1yekta
  • @akb said:
    In my iperf tests, I did find some NAT VPSes performing slower than the non-NAT ones for a OpenVPN connection, location of both being the same. But that is because on a NAT VPS you are sharing the network pipe with a considerably larger number of people (given their low costs = more guests/node) in comparison to a standard VPS by a decent host.

Thanks, this is the information i seek.