Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for port scanning friendly vps/dedi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for port scanning friendly vps/dedi

Hi guys,
Im looking for port scanning friendly hosting, no hacking - i dont scan port 22 etc. I only scan for proxies working in bing, so nothing nasty at all.

$100-150 a month budget.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited January 2017

Port scanning is as illegal as it gets.. no reputable host allows such activity.

That being said, try maxided.. they provide some if you ask via livechat.

• Isn't what you are trying to do still "unauthorised access of computer systems" by definition?

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited January 2017

Show me at least one law that prohibits port scanning. Just one. It might not be the nicest thing to go from door to door to check if one door is open, but as long as you don't enter... Or am I terribly wrong here?

Edit: Something to read for those who can:
    https://nmap.org/book/legal-issues.html

• WHTWHT Member

@Amitz said:
    Show me at least one law that prohibits port scanning. Just one. It might not be the nicest thing to go from door to door to check if one door is open, but as long as you don't enter... Or am I terribly wrong here?

But he is looking for open dors :)

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited January 2017

Try scanning hetzner ranges.. It's the fastest method to get suspended on almost any host.

Thanked by 2MikeA inthecloudblog
  • @WHT said:

@Amitz said:

But he is looking for open dors :)

Whats illegal in using open doors :)?
    I consulted this with lawyer in my country already, its not illegal.

With all respect - there is no point in making this thread another discussion about ethical aspects of port scanning.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2017

@Amitz said:

Have to agree. Port scanning in itself is not illegal; just shady.

Pavin.

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited January 2017

Amitz said: It might not be the nicest thing to go from door to door to check if one door is open, but as long as you don't enter

then why you are checking the doors? xD

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited January 2017

Science? Statistics? Network topology? Somehow sites like shodan.io have to do their work too, I guess. I would not consider them completely shady.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • Just make sure to stay away from gov/agencies ranges, DO NOT SCAN THEM !

• @dotted said:
    Just make sure to stay away from gov/agencies ranges, DO NOT SCAN THEM !

Why

• @dotted said:

Thanks dotted, i know this, im scanning already since 3+ years and my blacklist is really big :)

• Amitz said: It might not be the nicest thing to go from door to door to check if one door is open, but as long as you don't enter... Or am I terribly wrong here?

State of Florida could list that as a forcible felony where I can use deadly force on you

Thanked by 1Basil
  • @ethancedrik said:

@dotted said:

Why

If you have to ask, you may never have a chance to understand the answer.

Thanked by 1GoatSeller
  • WSSWSS Member

@Yura said:
    If you have to ask, you may never have a chance to understand the answer.

Oh, no, there will be plenty of time for talk in a bunker in the middle of a desert. Not much going on, but PLENTY of time.

• @WSS said:
    Oh, no, there will be plenty of time for talk in a bunker in the middle of a desert. Not much going on, but PLENTY of time.

At least even in the desert they will have enough water and a piece of cloth to facilitate the discussion. They probably wouldn't ask if the unfortunate attacker has a sister, but the level of hostility, rudeness and verbal abuse gonna match the infamous European offer.

Thanked by 2WSS datanoise
  • doughmanes said: State of Florida could list that as a forcible felony where I can use deadly force on you

Hurr, sounds worth a try! :-) Is it sure that it will be you using deadly force on me? I won't accept any cheap replacement, I want the original!

• I've had this long imagined scheme (fooled around with but haven't put in practice on any scale) of putting my ssh and other ports on a randomly selected single address from a /64 ipv6 range. Am I missing something, or should that be almost impossible to find by port scanning?

• I think it depends why you do that. If it's something clean and you have a reverse set to a page of your website where you explain what's going on most host should have no problem with it.

if it's shady, well... you might have to pay more and use a shady host...

• Whether port scanning is strictly legal or illegal may also depend on the country. To the best of my knowledge, in Germany, for example, port scanning as such cannot be prosecuted. Clearly, though, if you port-scan frequently, people will rightly question your intentions. (It would not be much different if you walked around the neighborhood and rang doorbells frequently.) So ultimately it comes down to what your intentions are.

It makes sense that a provider may decide to simply ban port-scanning in order to not have to deal with questions of intentions and to spare himself/herself potential problems down the road.

• @Amitz said:

No, you are not. Port scanning is a rather normal everyday action to perform without the slightest malice intent for diverse reasons. Scanning for proxies is actually a good example.

Many provider don't like it, though, because many small packets isn't exactly desirable for them.

Two caveats: a) listen to @datanoise advice and do it in a civilized way including back pointers to an explanatory page (or at least an email). b) Don't blast at maximum speed and don't play with flags or headers. That will also make a ton of difference if you end up in court. Properly done you can clearly show that you had nothing evil in mind. As soon as you play with header or flags, however, you set off a whole lot of red lights.

• jh_aurologicjh_aurologic Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

@stefeman said:
    Try scanning hetzner ranges.. It's the fastest method to get suspended on almost any host.

Hetzners automated Abuse System is a joke. If a customer of us receives a reflected SYN-ACK Flood from their network, they send us abuse mails. We told them many times to fix their sh*t or otherwise we will block them.

As they did nothing, [email protected] is now blacklisted on our mail-infrastructure. Their abuse reports are not reliable.

• jtkjtk Member

@ethancedrik said:

@dotted said:

Why

Good question. You might also ask, what are the gov/agency ranges? Are they those blocks that are assigned to the U.S. DoD such as 11/8? Just U.S. government blocks? What about other national and local government agencies? Can you possibly, definitively come up with a list of them all? Hand waving generalizations about gov/agency ranges are not particularly helpful.

Getting to you real question however, even if you could properly attribute a range as something as a gov/agency range, why should you not scan them? This is largely a subjective answer, most often colored in FUD. What will happen to you if you fire up a zmap session and scan the entire, routable IPv4 address space for some TCP port of interest? At least in the U.S., and if the origin network is OK with you doing this (this is really what you care about most as the thread starter does), a few email complaints will likely result. Most likely you won't get any response from a so-called gov/agency. You may get filtered by some networks depending on how obnoxious your scanning is or how aggressive destination networks are in permitting it. Your intent also matters, but most networks, including so-called go/agencies will perhaps log/drop it and move on.

There are numerous, arguably legitimate projects that conduct all IPv4 address scans all the time. This is canning is being conducted in the name of the public good such as for academic research, Internet survey projects and by reputable organizations and individuals trying to identify and alert responsible parties to potential problems. While there are still valid reasons to complain about such activity, this type scanning can be differentiated by the fact that the scanners and those behind them do not hide from public view, respond to complaints and in some cases will make it easy to white list netblocks upon request. Some still complain about this activity, but in my view, if you have a reachable block on the Internet, you just have to accept some noise.

An imperfect, but not unreasonable summary answer really might be, if you have permission from the origin network, if you are honest and transparent in who you are, what you're doing and why, if you're responsive to inquires or complaints, if you maintain a white list, if you are not abusive in what you are doing (for some definition of abusive) you can usually conduct your scanning activity without too much trouble. Most gov/agencies will not bother you or even bother with you in that case.

• What will happen to you if you fire up a zmap session and scan the entire, routable IPv4 address space for some TCP port of interest?

Nothing, abuse messages, thats all.
    But hosting providers are mostly shaking their boots when they get abuses.

if you're responsive to inquires or complaints

What if target is sending 10 abuses a day but refuse to give thei ip range so i can blacklist them? Such situations are normal and its not possible to solve such abuses.

Conclusion:
    Only way to scan is find a host who dont give a fuck abut meaningless abuses.