Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I could use some inspiration for a summer project
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

natestammnatestamm Member
edited May 2013 in General

Howdy

Doody. So just wondering, considering an initial account that is NOT reseller based. What would you guys do with a cpanel license and some decent resources?
Some one can correct me if wrong But I have never seen a provider upset about selling off some space for regular web hosting accounts. So let's say you're a developer like Me and you have more than enough space on this particular box for yourself and existing clients, and you're just looking to do some thing with the rest.
What do you guys think: Personal projects, Small web hosting plans, Marketing venue..
Just want some inspiration. I usually have plenty of work And lots of projects I am putting time into right now just to help out others to gain some knowledge.
So any ideas are welcome!

Tooty

Fruity

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

hmmm, Summer+Hosting...

• alexalex Member

I am a volunteer with few charities and local community organisations and sometimes offer them hosting+some web presence if I know they cannot afford or maintain that themselves.

• KairusKairus Member

You could go out, go swimming, do teenage stuff?

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

@natestamm said: Some one can correct me if wrong But I have never seen a provider upset about selling off some space for regular web hosting accounts. So let's say you're a developer like Me and you have more than enough space on this particular box for yourself and existing clients, and you're just looking to do some thing with the rest.

Meh. I wouldn't give your existing clients a reason to leave.
    If you're playing around and trying to 'fill' space, there's a chance that the quality of service might suffer in the process.

Maybe I'm a bit of a pessimist, but hey, you don't want to offer some free space to some angry HF skid who likes being DDoSed, right? :P

• zfedorazfedora Member

I recommend making sure you have the capital to fund whatever it is you're looking to do. I've been down that road. (starting a webhosting "project" on a whim). I had no business plan or anything. Lo and behold, I ran out of money and ultimately had to shut down (not in the fashion I had intended, anyway).

My 2c = make sure you have the time and money to put forth an effort because you'd be surprise how much grief and hatred <$7 can buy you.

In any case, good luck with your project!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

How about a Vanilla-based forum where people can discuss low-end VPS services, ask questions, and get advice? Providers would be able to place ads. And there would be a thanks button.

• LeeLee Veteran

@raindog308 said: How about a Vanilla-based forum where people can discuss low-end VPS services, ask questions, and get advice? Providers would be able to place ads. And there would be a thanks button.

Hosted at CVPS or CC?

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Gee, I like the idea of a thanks button.

• PaulPaul Member

@raindog308 said: How about a Vanilla-based forum where people can discuss low-end VPS services, ask questions, and get advice? Providers would be able to place ads. And there would be a thanks button.

+1

Or a Wordpress-powered site where providers can post their ads or promotions...but would decide later on to just do it on the Vanilla-based forum instead.

• @raindog308 said: How about a Vanilla-based forum where people can discuss low-end VPS services, ask questions, and get advice? Providers would be able to place ads. And there would be a thanks button.

Basically, a more technical-oriented version of LET? I'd dig that.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Any previous projects of Phineas and Ferb

• @PenguinManifesto said: version of LET

It would be cool if the vanilla theme had an option to read posts in real time like a shell..But I guess that's just mIRC.
    Lol
    I think the web host route is some thing I may pursue. /Thanks!

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited May 2013

Volunteer in your local hospital/elderly home. Maybe you'll end up as a nurse just like me ;)

• Volunteer with your local law enforcement agency. It's an eye opening experience. You'll see a lot of stuff and get to do some really cool stuff.

• natestammnatestamm Member
    edited May 2013

Actually I volunteer at a local animal shelter. I don't like my friends to know because I'm a nut for doggies wwwoof
    Spending some time right now working out mobile solutions for a web host and others. I am really liking what
    I see in the web hosting business and how some guys with the same licenses and servers I basically have do and all of that.
    I think that's going to be my break through to providing VPS, I have been wanting to do that for quite some time. I got some really killer domain names lined up for it too not like the poop I'm selling
    Just kidding *@shovenose
    -lmao-
    tomato

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep
  • KrisKris Member

@natestamm said: Actually I volunteer at a local animal shelter. I don't like my friends to know because I'm a nut for doggies wwwoof

Volunteer to design / overhaul their websites or local shelters in the area?

Just a synergy thought. Could help you build a design portfolio as well.

• Noted..that made me Lol.

• marcmmarcm Member

@natestamm Start a hosting company, enjoy it until September and then pull the plug. There, you have a summer project!

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Combining hobbies is great! I'm combining my photography, web design, and love of photography in my summer project. Building a website for caffeineaholics.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@marcm - Great idea!